RIP Shane Warne (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

Very sad news. One of if not the best spinner ever. Loved his analysis. Will be missed.

xcraigx

That's absolutely terrible news. One of the all time greats. I couldn't stand him as a bowler, he was just too good but his commentaries were fantastic. RIP

Greggs

Horrible news. Probably the only ozzy I've ever liked as he seemed to have a soft spot for the English. RIP. :(

EalingSB

My future wife bought me a trip to Italy and Warney's autobiography for my first birthday when we were together in 2002 - I got far more excited about the book. RIP Warney - a true and total legend who made spin bowling cool. Thanks for the memories.

The Great Eastern

Who can ever forget that very 1st ball of his in England that bowled Mike Gatting. Sensational delivery that turned about 45° !

Nick

Administrator
I dont like Cricket but watched the ashes one year at work.

"Nice one Shane"

Over and over and over and over.

tisza

Shocked.
For me the greatest spinner of all time.
Superb pundit.
RIP a proper legend

rob9872

Omg only just catching up with this. So sad.

RIP Shane :(

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Such sad news. He was a cricket legend.

Bit young to die of a heart attack though...
He was a bit of a party boy. Maybe it caught up with him?

Probably my favourite cricketer and to watch him bowl was amazing. Just annoying he was an Aussie that owed our team for over a decade. Also very good when he retired and became a pundit.

Real shame his innings has finished like a tailender's, with a low score on the board.

Been a shit couple of days for Australian cricket.

Brighton Sky Blue

What can you say about that. Desperately sad news and the best of his craft who ever played is no exaggeration.

Simply brilliant to watch and then as a pundit everything he said was spot on. RIP

SkyBlueSoul

This really got me, took a moment to myself at work. Absolute genius with the ball in his hand and injected fun into the game. All the tributes pouring in say it all

RIP Warnie, will be missed by so many

Paxman II

Not many people who sadly die cause a reaction from me but there have been a few. This one ranks up there, such sad news at just 52. A legend in the game and I'm sure he is pissed with himself for checking out so early and unexpectedly. RIP

13th_choice_seamer

Graham Gooch, who observed the "ball of the century" from the non-striker's end: "Gatt wouldn't have missed it if it was a pork pie."

As a long-suffering England fan back in the 90s, I shat myself for our team every time Warne game on to bowl. At the time, he was up there with his teammate McGrath, Allan Donald, Murali and Curtly Ambrose as the bowlers I'd dread us facing (although Kumble, Mushtaq Ahmed, Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, Pollock and Heath Streak weren't far behind).

But after the passage of time, I conclude that Warne was by far the most fearsome. He could bowl all day, and kept going when everyone else was beaten. People mocked his flabby body and lifestyle but this guy was a sporting warrior. You simply do not get to his level without being totally dedicated to cricket, and that's what Warne was. Pains me to say it as an England fan who always hoped Robert Croft would come good, but God bless you SK Warne, you really were the best,

So sad that I might pay tribute by drinking 12 cans of Castlemaine XXXX and watching Crocodile Dundee.

Obviously football is so huge in the UK that it's very rare that cricket players become widely known as celebrities amongst the wider public i.e. not just amongst cricket fans. Shane Warne is probably the the only player since (Lord!!) Ian Botham to attain that level of celebrity. Entirely deserved. You don't get that level of recognition from playing ability alone (otherwise Stuart McGill would be a national celebrity); you need to be a huge personality too. Only Botham and Warne really managed that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread