Rip Jimmy Hill (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

Just had a look at the Sunderland forum and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. More sympathetic than I expected mainly down to a lot of them learning that he had dementia. Be interesting to see how a minutes silence/applause would go down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swiftlyon

RIP Jimmy. A visionary who loved game and implemented changes that made our game better.

Whilst you Coventry fans will always hold a special place in your hearts for the man, the rest of us will remember him fondly too. When he fronted football programmes on TV he always made sure it was all about the football and not about him. He educated us without patronising us and ensured the beauty and spirit of our game would prevail through some pretty dark times.

"fight til the game is won" - you did Jim and we're all better for it.

Covstu

Legend, gutted to see him pass away albeit a very fitting age with our club. They should rename sky blue way to Jimmy hill way

NorthernWisdom

Yep, def an RIP. Not often you get a true legend at your club...

Not convinced all his ideas were great, his time as chairman maybe best glossed over but... in his first spell here he managed to transform a club, a city... a game.

And that needs a hell of a personality and strength of will to make happen.

Would be a fitting tribute to get promotion for him, now.

Covstu

Just had a look at the Sunderland forum and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. More sympathetic than I expected mainly down to a lot of them learning that he had dementia. Be interesting to see how a minutes silence/applause would go down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some me were quite disrespectful

Paxman II

His contribution to Coventry City (The Sky Blues) can not be measured. His contribution to the modern game equally enormous. Match of the Day and other TV appearances helped all of us realise here was a true legend of a man loved by so many. A man of football with an abundance of class who realy cared for the game he loved and the people who love the game. RIP dear Jimmy. You contributed so much and will never be forgotten.

RegTheDonk

Jimmy (and Derek Robins of course) did so much to change our fortunes and get us into the big time. I will always be grateful to Jimmy for putting us on the map, not only on the pitch, but the innovations off the field to try and keep us ahead of the rest.

Weather a neutral observer agreed with him or not, he changed the game in so many ways in this country. Not many of today's pretenders will ever make the impact he did.

RIP Jimmy, thanks for the memories.

robbieray

Ok ive not been drinking , but i was just watching on BBC, Joe talking about our Jimmy , and the clip of him singing our song by his statue had me a tear in my eye he sang with great compassion ..RIP Jimmy

MalcSB

A true giant of the game, makes people like Blatter and Platini seem like the pygmies of dubious integrity that they are. RIP JH

tisza

it really is difficult to say what Jimmy Hill meant to Coventry - the football club & the city - at various times throughout his life. I missed the late 60s but my grandfather who first took me up the City had wonderful stories and memories of that time. I had the pleasure of knowing Jimmy from the late 70s onwards when he returned to the club. His love and passion for football and for Coventry City was tremendous and heart-felt.
That there's a Jimmy Hill statue still (30 odd years after he ended his direct involvement with the club) says all you need to know about we felt about Jimmy Hill.
RIP Jimmy.

glasgowfan

Typical 1960's...... you had to be there from 61 to 67 to really comprehend the way he transformed our club, and football in general.

The club can never repeat that experience.

Calista

I wish all the younger members of this forum could have experienced the Jimmy Hill years in the 1960s. Those times were pure magic. I was just a kid, but it’s still so clear in the memory. At the time I thought the Sky Blues had some sort of special right to score goals whenever they wanted! And of course, even though he was no longer the manager, when we were in the First Division and watching people like Best and Greaves and Banks in front of huge crowds, it was JH who had made it all possible.

I can only say “thanks a million Jimmy” for the difference you made to our lives. RIP.

James Smith

We have lost a real servant of the city and football today. He was the reason for us reaching the top flight and for the development of Highfield Road into a groundbreaking all seater stadium. Was remembering earlier the last match at Highfield Road where he led the faithful singing the Sky Blue Song. He touched so many people in his life personally, through things he had implemented, on television or on the pitch. Our condolences go to his family and we raised a glass in his memory earlier.
RIP Sir Jimmy you will be missed but not forgotten.

Well said Norman Lockhart.

Lovely tribute on MOTD.

Like others have said, TRUE legend of football.

TewkesburySkyBlue

Just one of very many comments

Lovely to read such touching and eloquent comments about the great man.
I found out when son Rob texted me this afternoon.
I had the great privilege of being a Sky Blues supporter in my teens when we ascended the leagues in no time at all in the sixties.
It was just a wonderful, probably never to be repeated, time.
What impressed me most what that Rob - whom I indoctrinated at an early age- was so touch by the loss of the incomparable JH ,such was his aura.
I'm a huge critic of today's game with it's foreign owners and ridiculously rewarded, no loyalty players, (which I guess is a little ironic as it was JH who led the fight for the maximum wage to be ended). Nevertheless I so much doubt he would ever have foreseen the immoral jungle that is Premier League football today.
Jimmy was not just about the football club but its place in the community,sadly missing in today's game .
When I heard the interview with one of my schoolboy heros Bobby Gould ( he was a year ahead of me at Caludon Castle and much looked up to as captain of Cov Boys at football and cricket if I remember correctly ) it makes you appreciate what an impact JH had on the team and our city at the time.
I'm going on a bit so I will stop now but just one final story.
JH wanted to sign Terry Yorath from Leeds but he would only come if JH would let him have his house on the Kenilworth Road. - which he did !!!!
Could any of you imagine the idea of telling your wife that she had to move from her beloved home so he could sign a key player????
True legend.
Rest in place Jimmy .You will never be forgotten .

malkitccfc

Before my time but as a supporter of this great club, I can't help but appreciate what a man JH was. Rest in peace Jimmy and thank you for making football what it is today

phildownunder

Lovely to read such touching and eloquent comments about the great man.
I found out when son Rob texted me this afternoon.
I had the great privilege of being a Sky Blues supporter in my teens when we ascended the leagues in no time at all in the sixties.
It was just a wonderful, probably never to be repeated, time.
What impressed me most what that Rob - whom I indoctrinated at an early age- was so touch by the loss of the incomparable JH ,such was his aura.
I'm a huge critic of today's game with it's foreign owners and ridiculously rewarded, no loyalty players, (which I guess is a little ironic as it was JH who led the fight for the maximum wage to be ended). Nevertheless I so much doubt he would ever have foreseen the immoral jungle that is Premier League football today.
Jimmy was not just about the football club but its place in the community,sadly missing in today's game .
When I heard the interview with one of my schoolboy heros Bobby Gould ( he was a year ahead of me at Caludon Castle and much looked up to as captain of Cov Boys at football and cricket if I remember correctly ) it makes you appreciate what an impact JH had on the team and our city at the time.
I'm going on a bit so I will stop now but just one final story.
JH wanted to sign Terry Yorath from Leeds but he would only come if JH would let him have his house on the Kenilworth Road. - which he did !!!!
Could any of you imagine the idea of telling your wife that she had to move from her beloved home so he could sign a key player????
True legend.
Rest in place Jimmy .You will never be forgotten .

You must be about the same vintage as me TSB. Like you I have a host of memories from that time and feel lucky to have lived through that exciting period. Were it not for JH I`m by no means certain that I would have become the lifelong follower of the team that I have and I`m sure this may be true of many others.

My sadness at his passing is tinged with relief in a way too though. It was a tragedy for someone with such an agile mind to end up with the debilitating condition that he did and the JH we and his family knew and loved had already left us in a sense a while ago. It`s comforting to know that this awful part of his life is now over and his family will no longer have the day to day heartbreak of looking after someone they love who looked just the same but in reality was no longer the same person.

speedie87

What a great man, and a football visionary.

Like most fans and pundits he could see what was wrong with the game, however what made him different to everyone else was that he could then come up with solutions to those problems and had the ability to see them through.

How many people do clubs employee these days to fulfill all the roles he did by himself at city all at the same time!

blueflint

RIP jimmy i followed your team through thick and thin you will be never forgotten

chinamans view

Simply the best, changed the club from nothing to play at the top league. changed the strip to sky blue, changed everything for the better, the sky blue train, the all seater ground, even our sky blue song he gave us. to me He is SIMPLY THE BEST. RIP.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I couldn't really get into the game yesterday felt really sad think that was shared by many,the ground was a bit subdued.
Jimmy Hill was a great man finally put this club in the face of the rest of the country.
As for Sunderland fans abusing him I bet he's somewhere laughing his head off that's two clubs that will never forget him. If we play Sunderland we should name the away stand after him,I think he would have liked that.

RIP Jimmy thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread