RFU Will Rubber Stamp Wasps Move According To The Times (1 Viewer)

RPHunt

According to a report in the Times, any Wasps move to the Ricoh will be sanctioned by the game's governing bodies.

Alex Lowe
Last updated at 9:00PM, October 3 2014

The RFU and Premiership Rugby would rubber-stamp any request from London Wasps to play home games at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, providing the club did not also seek to relocate their regional academy to the Midlands.

Wasps hold one of the 14 RFU academy licences, covering the Middlesex, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire area, with Worcester Warriors responsible for the region that includes Coventry. The boundaries, technically, could be redrawn as part of the next heads of agreement between the RFU and Premiership Rugby, but any request from Wasps is unlikely to be treated favourably.

Providing Wasps’ academy remains in situ, the Professional Game Board — the body comprised of representatives from the RFU and Premiership Rugby — would agree to a proposal for home games to be moved to the Ricoh Arena, as they did for London Welsh to play at the Kassam Stadium in Oxford.

A £30 million deal for Wasps to take control of the stadium’s operating company, Arena Coventry Limited (ACL), could be given the green light on Tuesday, when Coventry city council votes on the proposed takeover. The deal would give Wasps a 90 per cent stake with the council, which at present owns ACL jointly with the Alan Higgs Trust, to retain a 10 per cent interest.

When Derek Richardson completed his takeover of Wasps last year, he identified the need for the club to own or co-own a stadium, but the indications were that Wasps were looking to move back towards London. The majority of supporters are furious about the proposed move to Coventry. Wasps are using the line “every fan counts” as part of their marketing campaign, but that line is now being thrown back at them. An online petition has been launched with the hope of keeping the club in or near London and there is talk of a protest at the next home game.

“They say that every fan counts but it doesn’t feel like it at the moment,” James Dickinson, owner of The Wasps Blog, said. “We are realistic that the club have got to find a ground, but to put £30 million into a stadium that is 100 miles away is a shift from what little we had heard from the club. They don’t seem to care about the support.”

Wasps attracted 6,374 to their home game against Northampton Saints at Adams Park, Wycombe last month. The Ricoh Arena has a capacity of 32,000. “You are competing against Northampton, Leicester and Worcester,” Fitzgerald said. “It seems completely bonkers.”

The Lurker

According to a report in the Times, any Wasps move to the Ricoh will be sanctioned by the game's governing bodies.

Alex Lowe

The RFU and Premiership Rugby would rubber-stamp any request from London Wasps to play home games at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, providing the club did not also seek to relocate their regional academy to the Midlands.

Wasps hold one of the 14 RFU academy licences, covering the Middlesex, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire area, with Worcester Warriors responsible for the region that includes Coventry. The boundaries, technically, could be redrawn as part of the next heads of agreement between the RFU and Premiership Rugby, but any request from Wasps is unlikely to be treated favourably.

Providing Wasps’ academy remains in situ, the Professional Game Board — the body comprised of representatives from the RFU and Premiership Rugby — would agree to a proposal for home games to be moved to the Ricoh Arena, as they did for London Welsh to play at the Kassam Stadium in Oxford.

A £30 million deal for Wasps to take control of the stadium’s operating company, Arena Coventry Limited (ACL), could be given the green light on Tuesday, when Coventry city council votes on the proposed takeover. The deal would give Wasps a 90 per cent stake with the council, which at present owns ACL jointly with the Alan Higgs Trust, to retain a 10 per cent interest.

When Derek Richardson completed his takeover of Wasps last year, he identified the need for the club to own or co-own a stadium, but the indications were that Wasps were looking to move back towards London. The majority of supporters are furious about the proposed move to Coventry. Wasps are using the line “every fan counts” as part of their marketing campaign, but that line is now being thrown back at them. An online petition has been launched with the hope of keeping the club in or near London and there is talk of a protest at the next home game.

“They say that every fan counts but it doesn’t feel like it at the moment,” James Dickinson, owner of The Wasps Blog, said. “We are realistic that the club have got to find a ground, but to put £30 million into a stadium that is 100 miles away is a shift from what little we had heard from the club. They don’t seem to care about the support.”

Wasps attracted 6,374 to their home game against Northampton Saints at Adams Park, Wycombe last month. The Ricoh Arena has a capacity of 32,000. “You are competing against Northampton, Leicester and Worcester,” Fitzgerald said. “It seems completely bonkers.”
Sounds like the RFU are just as bad as the football league.

Neutral Fan

Wimbledon franchised to Milton Keynes. Wasps franchised to Coventry.
Coventry franchised (1 year only) to Northampton.
Northampton Saints almost franchised to Milton Keynes.
Coventry City...without priority of games over the rugby club and without their own stadium....off where next?

Madness. Utter madness. For the supporters anyway. Though franchisers like Winkie at MK Dons take a different view...

Rusty Trombone

Wimbledon franchised to Milton Keynes. Wasps franchised to Coventry.
Coventry franchised (1 year only) to Northampton.
Northampton Saints almost franchised to Milton Keynes.
Coventry City...without priority of games over the rugby club and without their own stadium....off where next?

Madness. Utter madness. For the supporters anyway. Though franchisers like Winkie at MK Dons take a different view...

Tell us again about how worried we should be about getting to the Premier League.

letsallsingtogether

Just a thought:thinking about: Wasps had identified that they needed to own or co own a stadium, something Sisu identified when they first took over.

Would Co owning the Ground be a way forward for both teams?

Alex Lowe

tomreagna

The Council will not sell the ground to Otium, that much is clear. I know I'm reheating someone else's theory, but I do wonder if this move is just a way around that policy?

Wasps could play here for a couple of seasons, then sell the Ricoh on (presumably at a profit) and SISU finally get control of the stadium, saving them from building a new one?

This is obviously complete speculation. However the rumours of Ray Ranson's involvement with Wasps certainly add heat to the imaginary fire. It could be Robbie Keane all over again?

ecky

The Council will not sell the ground to Otium, that much is clear. I know I'm reheating someone else's theory, but I do wonder if this move is just a way around that policy?

Wasps could play here for a couple of seasons, then sell the Ricoh on (presumably at a profit) and SISU finally get control of the stadium, saving them from building a new one?

This is obviously complete speculation. However the rumours of Ray Ranson's involvement with Wasps certainly add heat to the imaginary fire. It could be Robbie Keane all over again?

Who knows? I like a lot of others have past caring...
The supporters don't figure in any of these plans

mrtrench

Just had a thought - not that I believe it...

Regarding all these conspiracy rumours of Ranson et al being behind the Wasps move. Wonder if the plan is to merge Wasps and CCFC into a holding company that effectively therefore halves its stadium expenses? It's not a bad idea at all.

Astute

You are right. CCC won't sell to SISU. How can they when SISU won't make an offer for it? Joy has even said that she won't be making an offer. So would you like to explain how CCC would be able to sell to them?

skybluebal

Just had a thought - not that I believe it...

Regarding all these conspiracy rumours of Ranson et al being behind the Wasps move. Wonder if the plan is to merge Wasps and CCFC into a holding company that effectively therefore halves its stadium expenses? It's not a bad idea at all.

There could be some merit in that approach. The difficulty I have is that if SISU is willing to pay say 50%, that would be £15m, then they could have offered that in the first place. We all speculated that they would need to spend £20-30m on their little ground that they are planning to build. Mind you, their track record of financial management of the club might indicate that they are prepared to 'lose' more money to massage their own egos. They will want majority ownership and they are after the freehold, so assuming WASPs don't want to be dictated to by SISU then SISU will have to put more into the pot. Further, buying into ACL does not get them the freehold that they are really after.

In any case, can anyone really see SISU and the WASPs management working together !

skybluebal

Apart from all the other moral & ethical opinions, this is a very telling statistic. I've not looked at WASPs in any way so I don't know if this was a one off, but this level of gate would not justify buying into ACL to play in a 32,000 seater stadium. They must have a master plan that has not been divulged or some pretty grand ambitions.

Otis

Apart from all the other moral & ethical opinions, this is a very telling statistic. I've not looked at WASPs in any way so I don't know if this was a one off, but this level of gate would not justify buying into ACL to play in a 32,000 seater stadium. They must have a master plan that has not been divulged or some pretty grand ambitions.

If rugby fans are like the players, they will be great big, enormous fat fookers and therefore 6,374 supporters will equate to 12,748 seats.

Plus people always look wider in stripes.

logjoe

A rugby fan on the football show rang in on Friday night and stated that wasps will have 20k+ fans on seats within two years at the ricoh and there will be a greater investment from sponsorship than what is being seen at the stadium now also this will bring greater investment into the area than what has occurred up till now.

Users who are viewing this thread