Realistic Expectations next season (2 Viewers)

BackRoomRummermill

Teams occasionally buck the trend, but it isn’t really disputable that more money = higher league finish. Is it?

of course not but I never said that was always the case I was trying to continue the optimism For our team , hey ho never mind we might get a chance of going up

Yorkshire SB

So what happened last season when we finished top with a mid league budget or did I imagine it ?

I’m not sure that was the case, I think we had a top 8 budget, and we actually spent significantly vs. much of the division in other areas, e.g. second highest agent fees. Appreciate our net spend was low as we brought in significant transfer fees.

Gleneagles65

Next season could be anything but I think Coventry will surprise quite a few teams early on. Dark horses for top 6 with a few more quality signings.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Some of you lot have absolutely zero idea about how difficult the championship is going to be 21st would be a massive achievement. The last team to win the league and finish mid table in the championship were Blackburn who had a wage budget 4 times our entire turnover.
I do agee with the basic premise of your post, but for fucksake let us dream.

In all seriousness we will probably struggle next season, and staying up would be a massive achievement. But I’m not prepared to rule out a surprise season from us. We play some damn good football, it would take a huge effort from all at the club, but they have shown us that they are better than pretty much every Cov team I’ve watched over the last 10 years.

I’m not saying we’ll win the league, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we did better than the obvious ‘instant relegation’. I feel we have momentum, and that might well be enough to keep us comfortably up. Let’s hope I’m right.

Liquid Gold

I do agee with the basic premise of your post, but for fucksake let us dream.

In all seriousness we will probably struggle next season, and staying up would be a massive achievement. But I’m not prepared to rule out a surprise season from us. We play some damn good football, it would take a huge effort from all at the club, but they have shown us that they are better than pretty much every Cov team I’ve watched over the last 10 years.

I’m not saying we’ll win the league, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we did better than the obvious ‘instant relegation’. I feel we have momentum, and that might well be enough to keep us comfortably up. Let’s hope I’m right.
Dream all you want. My dream is to stay in the league for more than one season and build. Dreaming that we’ll trouble the playoffs is absolute delusion. Our best player last year couldn’t make it into the squad of a mid table side.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Dream all you want. My dream is to stay in the league for more than one season and build. Dreaming that we’ll trouble the playoffs is absolute delusion. Our best player last year couldn’t make it into the squad of a mid table side.
I am fully aware that the stats aren’t in our favour. Staying in the league would be amazing. Can still dream of more though. Chin up.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So that amazing flop paul pogba is on YTS wages then .... nonsense yourself

Of course there will be individual players that buck the trend either way, but the overall correlation between wage budget and league position is pretty strong. Probably more to do with the ability to have a stronger squad. Some teams have a season wrecked because of injuries to key players and their replacements aren't anywhere near the same standard.

Part of our great run latter part of the season was a lack of injuries disrupting a settled, winning team- could argue had we lost just one of those players it could've cost us promotion. Think losing Marosi for Wilson, Godden for Max/Baka, Dabo, Kelly/Walsh for Eccles etc.

usskyblue

Might as well choose now.

U want oil based or water based for your hindsight fisting m8 ?

tenor.gif

shmmeee

I just don’t want people thinking of upper middle table and going ape shit at our management team when we’re scraping points which we know full well will happen.

The people dreaming now aren’t the two posts a year wankers who will pop up when we lose a couple anyway. Chill. Well all be behind you in backing management even if we are sat down the bottom.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I just don’t want people thinking of upper middle table and going ape shit at our management team when we’re scraping points which we know full well will happen.
Fully agree and anyone that starts asking for taxis when we lose to villa can fuck off. I don’t care if we finish bottom of the league (well, obviously I would to some extent), Robins is the man for us and even if we go straight back down I’d still say that. People will moan every time we lose (or draw), that’s fans. Still think we are capable of surprising some.

Sick Boy

its all about economy of scale ,the L1 top 6 is hard if you have just come up from league 2 by the mere fact you have been playing a league lower .
As for Champ yes it’s obviously a gulf between L1 , but with the right squad and attitude there is no reason to think we could not hold our own , it the same step up from league to league . We have nothing to fear, at present
You were going on about us being in the top 6 of the Championship.

If you think the step up from the top of league 1 to the Championship is the same as going from the top of league 2 to the top of League 1, then you’re off your head.

robbiekeane

its all about economy of scale ,the L1 top 6 is hard if you have just come up from league 2 by the mere fact you have been playing a league lower .
As for Champ yes it’s obviously a gulf between L1 , but with the right squad and attitude there is no reason to think we could not hold our own , it the same step up from league to league . We have nothing to fear, at present
Sorry...how is that an example of economies of scale?

Great_Expectations

At the start of last season I was incredibly optimistic, and told anyone who would listen we were getting promoted.

I have the same sense of optimism this season, albeit I’m not expecting promotion. I do think we’ll surprise people though and have an outside chance of challenging for playoffs.

Our squad may be inexperienced Championship wise, but it’s also full of talented players all keen to make a mark.

Replacing Walsh is pivotal, so there’s pressure on Hamer, finding an attacking LWB is key and ideally another striker too. Other than that our squad is strong enough to compete.

Birmingham may be two cup games, but we looked the stronger side in both. If we continue to play football and don’t revert to being over cautious I’m confident we’ll do well.

Survival is the objective, but based on our performance last season, I don’t see why we can’t achieve more.

Optimism/hope/stupidity - maybe, but I think we’ll surprise people this year.

Gosb

I have to confess to a certain amount of nervousness about next season, but when I look at the bottom half of the Championship table I see QPR, Reading, Stoke, Sheff Wed, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Luton, Birmingham and Barnsley. Add Rotherham and Wycombe to this list and I feel a whole lot less nervous.

SkyblueTexan

It will be tough, but I think (hope) we can survive next season - we should definitely be better than at least 3 teams shouldn’t we?

Gosb

When was the last time we were promoted as Champions erm er ow , not in my 51 years lifetime we will walk through the Championship !
The last time we were promoted as champions was in 1967 and we finished 20th out of 22 in the following season in Division 1. Fortunately only 2 teams were relegated in those days.

steve cooper

The last time we were promoted as champions was in 1967 and we finished 20th out of 22 in the following season in Division 1. Fortunately only 2 teams were relegated in those days.
Well, our manager resigned before the start of that season, and our captain broke his leg in the second game. Not the best of starts.

covboy1987

Where are you all predicting for us to finish next year? After watching some of the games this afternoon I really would be pleased with 4th from bottom. We are a good side, but better than a large amount of teams in the league? I’m not sure.
Easy top 8 if we play back at the Ricoh and plenty of investment in the pitch – Relegation beckons back to league 1 if we stay at St Andrews

Colin Steins Smile

Stating up will be a significant achievement. I hope i'm wrong, but I can't see us being top half this season. The speed of play is much faster in the Championship in comparison to L1....and I hope that if we do have a run of a few games without picking up a point supporters don't moan.

Users who are viewing this thread