Ratings (1 Viewer)

Otis

Good: Big Vik, Hamer (MotM despite last minute howler - as others have said, Bidwell would have closed that chance down) BNC, Eccles, Palmer, MacFadz and Bidwell

Average: Doyle and McNally, Wilson (will he ever come for a corner like the Sunderland goalie did). Godden - good pass for Vik tho.

Meh: Allen (headless chicken in 1st half, bit better second). Wilson-Esbrand clearly in wrong position at first substitution.

Palmer was dominant force in the midfield and we lost energy and creativity with his injury. He was the 'go to' player for Hamer, Eccles and Allen.

Wish Hamer's volley in 1st half had gone in....

A really good game to watch - these are two top half teams. High quality first touches and passing. City belong where they are, it is not a fluke. The passing to Godden and then by him for the second goal was top quality
I thought Allen played well

Otis

Wilson 7 - one very smart stop low down to his left, one dodgy fumble. Could do nothing for goal.
McNally 8 - had to cover Norton-Cuffy quite a lot, and did that well, solid.
McFadzean 7 - solid.
Doyle 6 - think last season Sunderland's main complaint was he faded from playing too much for his age, and can't help but think something similar is happening with us. He just looked a bit slower of thought compared to his partners - jaded
Norton-Cuffy 6 - first half especially was all over the place defensively, needing cover and looking Sunderland's best chance of something as he gave needless fouls away near the box. Improved second half.
Bidwell 7 - solid as ever
Eccles 6 - didn't notice him, my fault or his? So six may or may not be harsh!
Hamer 7 - a bit scattergun, but needed his energy. One lovely volley out the air that could have been spectacular if slightly lower.
Allen 8 - his usual performance tbh(!) +1 for goal. One lovely cross that led to Hamer volley.
Palmer 7 - wasn't sure whether six or seven. All action, some nice touches, but missed Allen free at one point, and a terrible shot. A win makes the glass half full rather than empty.
Gyokeres 8 - usual performance, with a goal for good measure. Also assisted rather than trying to take on the world, which is progress!

Subs
JWE 5 - wrong position wouldn't help him
Godden 7 - quite sharp, excellent assist
Rose 6 - another I didn't notice... bar one terrible pass!
I thought Eccles did well. Made some great tackles and was always in the thick of things, making some decent passes too.

Definitely a 7 from me.

I thought Palmer also played well.

TomRad85

The fact he came on and immediately made that awful pass shows how little we’ve missed him. The upgrade to McNally has been huge.
He's a good squad centre back though and outside of some youngsters he's the only player who's contract is up this summer that we should be looking to retain.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

He might have been my MOTM if he hadn’t switched off so much in the last few minutes. He’s miles above Rose.
Yes I agree he's alot better than Rose, but I don't particularly think Rose did too much wrong and as grendel says mcnally did a couple silly passes.. to be fair to Rose he's played little football recently

Grendel

Yes I agree he's alot better than Rose, but I don't particularly think Rose did too much wrong and as grendel says mcnally did a couple silly passes.. to be fair to Rose he's played little football recently

Mcnally will be more of a central player in a back 3 in all probability - rose is capable enough but seems to be made of the same material as Kelly

Last edited:

SBT

I don’t think Rose completed a pass! He’s fine at this level, and given we only have one CB signed up for next season then I imagine we’ll bring him back. But McNally makes it clear what an upgrade can do for the side as a whole.

Grendel

Also McNally I suspect will not come cheap. Be a reasonable fee Burnley would want

Grendel

If that’s the case and we could sign him for a nominal fee x 4 in the summer, surely you do it in a heartbeat.

they’ll want £4 million plus easily

PVA

Rose is OK as a squad player and worth a new new deal, but McNally is a level above.

ps1948

they’ll want £4 million plus easily
Not sure they would. I agree that they will definitely want their initial investment back and sell-on clauses.
What a great gamble/scouting work it was on their behalf, as he'd only played 20+ league 1 games before his move to Burnley.
I think Vik going to Burnley is a good bet, so I reckon we should look at McNally and possibly Ashley Barnes coming the other way as part of the deal. Obviously wages would be the big issue with Barnes, but I don't think he'd get a look in back in the Premiership.

The Philosopher

Not sure they would. I agree that they will definitely want their initial investment back and sell-on clauses.
What a great gamble/scouting work it was on their behalf, as he'd only played 20+ league 1 games before his move to Burnley.
I think Vik going to Burnley is a good bet, so I reckon we should look at McNally and possibly Ashley Barnes coming the other way as part of the deal. Obviously wages would be the big issue with Barnes, but I don't think he'd get a look in back in the Premiership.
Not sure paying £2m for a player who way playing for a team in the same division and challenging for a play off place was a great gamble / bit of scouting.

Good business would have been paying some saps £1.4m for Dom Hyam at around the same time.

Not knocking McNally, just saying…..

Gibbo

Agree with some of that but harsh on McNally and very harsh on Allen who did play well today.

Sunderland are a good team, and I think we did really well. There were some spells of excellent football, almost at the level of the QPR game pre World Cup and against a better team.
Yes you are probably right on McNally

Gibbo

Post match thoughts:

The value of Vik almost seems to go up by the week as each set of opposition fans rave over him. Brighton fan 'why did we let him go', Sunderland fans 'best striker in the division' Millwall fans 'too much for Cresswell'.

Allen really is marmite: But we need three things from him 1. A lot of gruntwork in defence 2. some telling linking passes 3: chipping in with occaisional goals. He is delivering no 3, he rarely does no 2 and I suspect his work on number 1, while highly visible, isn't actually that effective. Eccles and Sheaf seem to do it without all the charging about. I look forward to a midfield quadrant of O'Hare & Hamer, Sheaf & Eccles next season. I am willing to wager that only injuries will make Robins play O'Hare & Palmer on the same pitch

Users who are viewing this thread