Progress under Robins (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

Well I watched the game between Bournemouth & Forest two of the top three in the division and we play better football than both of them IF Robins can get the finance and recruit his wishful better players keep what we have we will be better and I expect us to be higher in the division.

skyblu3sk

The key to the success so far for me is stability and consistency. We aren't in a world where we are refreshing all the squad each year. We aren't trying to change our footballing philosophy all the time meaning the players we have get more and more well versed at it. And we have stuck with a manager so the team know they aren't bigger than him. All important stuff.

cc84cov

We need a bigger squad with better players in key areas the issue is the budget,Robins signing a new contract I’m confident he’s happy with the proposed budget

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think improving again next season is going to be areal challenge. I feel we won't do it,based on nothing, just a gut feeling.

We'll only improve if we manage to rid ourselves of the deadwood currently in the squad with the least amount of financial outlay as possible - which is obviously far easier said than done given all are under contract for another year and none are particularly at all sought after.

better days

We'll only improve if we manage to rid ourselves of the deadwood currently in the squad with the least amount of financial outlay as possible - which is obviously far easier said than done given all are under contract for another year and none are particularly at all sought after.
Good luck with that ;)

Deity

It’s part of the football business model. Every club gets players every season it no longer wants and has to pay off. I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a budgeted item.

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s part of the football business model. Every club gets players every season it no longer wants and has to pay off. I’d be amazed if it wasn’t a budgeted item.
Not really as there should be mitigation involved. Or were Da Costa/Hilssner seen as the same chance of success as Hamer?

shmmeee

I can see this being a transitional season, we can trim a lot of deadwood next summer. That said if we can add another two decent signings and get a couple of squad players in as suggested we could we’ll be better off next season.

Sky Blue Pete

The key to the success so far for me is stability and consistency. We aren't in a world where we are refreshing all the squad each year. We aren't trying to change our footballing philosophy all the time meaning the players we have get more and more well versed at it. And we have stuck with a manager so the team know they aren't bigger than him. All important stuff.
Stability consistency and good fortune or money

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

We need a bigger squad with better players in key areas

giphy.gif

ceetee

I can see this being a transitional season, we can trim a lot of deadwood next summer. That said if we can add another two decent signings and get a couple of squad players in as suggested we could we’ll be better off next season.
I agree.

I said on another thread we need to hang on this year

johnwillomagic

Yeah we have a lot of deadwood - Robins has said he actually wants to reduce the squad numbers but add quality.
We have a big squad just not a great one for quality in depth we will be in far better position to reshape and clear deadwood next season.

I see this too as a transitional season and would personally be happy with a top half finish again if we could land 10th will snap your hand off for that - remains to be seen who we keep and who we bring in additionally but regardless if we land 12th again based on what we have currently I'll be satisfied.

Looking at opening fixtures we do have potential to get off to a flyer which helped us massively last season!

Samo

Yeah we have a lot of deadwood - Robins has said he actually wants to reduce the squad numbers but add quality.
We have a big squad just not a great one for quality in depth we will be in far better position to reshape and clear deadwood next season.

I see this too as a transitional season and would personally be happy with a top half finish again if we could land 10th will snap your hand off for that - remains to be seen who we keep and who we bring in additionally but regardless if we land 12th again based on what we have currently I'll be satisfied.

Looking at opening fixtures we do have potential to get off to a flyer which helped us massively last season!

After saying he wanted a bigger squad, and then saying so again after the small squad remark! (Which might suggest he's in constant negotiation with the owners, or he's lost the plot!)

Personally, I don't think all this talk of 'dead wood' is helpful. Who exactly does this refer to? Everyone outside of the big three? Our older players who may be approaching retirement?

Apart from Hilsner, every member of the squad offers something. We cannot replace in large numbers so how about we ditch terms like 'dead wood' in favour of more realistic and respectful language?

Sbarcher

If we stand still this season it's a very good season, it's going to be difficult and feels unlikely we'll spend the most part of it in the top half like we did last season
Unless we manage to get some good additions in I'd agree. We have got a weakened 1st team compared with last season. Our form was patchy towards the end of last season so we need a strong start as last season. Ideally I'd like to see more muscle in our side as we are easy meat for the physical sides in the division.

Users who are viewing this thread