Palmer Suspension (3 Viewers)

wingy

Gutted for him and us if true. Although, if COH is going to put in an historic swan song performance for us, it is going to be in the FA cup semi final.

I actually backed a daft bet builder yesterday of over 3 goals, City to progress, Wright to score and Palmer to be booked. 60/1 odd. You can imagine my joy when I saw the small print after the event that yellow card to subs don’t count.

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

But he was a starter,should be ok,no ,used sub, I'd check that again cheating bastard's!!

torchomatic

Ran off the bench to go and celebrate the last goal with the lads. Completely forgiveable in the moment imo.
We were in that corner and I thought it was brilliant when I saw him. Didn't see him race across the pitch, just jump on his team mates. Brilliant. What a team and club we have.

chiefdave

10 minutes of everyone standing around while someone miles away tries to find a way to rule out a perfectly good goal - fine

player celebrates winner 10 minutes into injury time - banned

even if that's the rule by the letter of the law surely as a ref you'd show a bit of leniency given the situation

torchomatic

10 minutes of everyone standing around while someone miles away tries to find a way to rule out a perfectly good goal - fine

even if that's the rule by the letter of the law surely as a ref you'd show a bit of leniency given the situation

And keeper feigns injury to get instructions, as Robins had out witted them.

Jamesimus

Yeah the game was done. Obviously the ref didn’t know about the missed sending off but you’d have thought leniency would be the sensible option rather than blindly following the rules. No Wolves fan would have been complaining about no yellow card there.

MalcSB

There are many, many times when members of football squads have encroached on to the pitch to join in celebrations without getting booked. So why this one? Is it because he hadn't got his shirt covered? Clearly not seeking an advantage by going on the pitch.

Sa should have been booked for faking an injury to allow O'Neil to adjust his teams tactics, especially as Haji was booked for receiving treatment for an injury which resulted in him missing several matches. Semedo should have walked for kicking O'Hare in the face. These levels of inconsistency are simply not acceptable.

chiefdave

There are many, many times when members of football squads have encroached on to the pitch to join in celebrations without getting booked. So why this one? Is it because he hadn't got his shirt covered? Clearly not seeking an advantage by going on the pitch.

Sa should have been booked for faking an injury to allow O'Neil to adjust his teams tactics, especially as Haji was booked for receiving treatment for an injury which resulted in him missing several matches. Semedo should have walked for kicking O'Hare in the face. These levels of inconsistency are simply not acceptable.
I sit near where the subs warm up at the CBS. Every game players run on their pitch doing warm ups while the game is in play. Never seen one even warned let alone booked

Balli001

No way can know he is feigning injury tho for the referee

stevefloyd

Or we’d just pulled off a ridiculous win for the ages and people were just celebrating.

Booking players for celebrating is pathetic anyway. Should be stopped unless it’s extreme.
Its not really in the spirit of the game, not booking someone for a kick in the face yet a booking for celebrating a magnificent win...come on you wankers at the FA sort it out !!!!!

skybluegod

I'm sure a referee at a lower level probably would let it slide. But if he's being assessed/observed on the day he would then be punished for not applying the rules.

Of course common sense is to let it slide, but the referee has to do his job.

shmmeee

I sit near where the subs warm up at the CBS. Every game players run on their pitch doing warm ups while the game is in play. Never seen one even warned let alone booked

This. You probably sit near me. Every game there’s subs several yards onto the pitch when the ball is down the other end.

shmmeee

I'm sure a referee at a lower level probably would let it slide. But if he's being assessed/observed on the day he would then be punished for not applying the rules.

Didn’t stip him not punishing a kung fu kick to the nose.

Nick

Administrator

I'm sure he will be punished for missing ohare get assaulted then.

MalcSB

If a ref was being assessed, would missing a red for a boot in the face not be a tad more important than not booking someone for celebrating a goal in the 10th minute of added time?

skybluegod

If a ref was being assessed, would missing a red for a boot in the face not be a tad more important than not booking someone for celebrating a goal in the 10th minute of added time?

Yes it would, (although clearly VAR also felt it wasn't a red).

The fact 3 people have made this argument is stupid. So because he made one mistake he should just let other things go? No, you apply the rules from the 1st minute to the last minute. And being wrong doesn't then mean you let things go.

Of course as a Coventry fan I don't want palmer booked, but this constant obsession with slagging off refs for applying rules is crazy to me. They aren't the law makers. Most of them a football fans like us, who probably don't agree with things like booking palmer in the 10th minute but they aren't there to decide what is and isn't the law.

MalcSB

The fact 3 people have made this argument is stupid. So because he made one mistake he should just let other things go? No, you apply the rules from the 1st minute to the last minute. And being wrong doesn't then mean you let things go.

Of course as a Coventry fan I don't want palmer booked, but this constant obsession with slagging off refs for applying rules is crazy to me. They aren't the law makers. Most of them a football fans like us, who probably don't agree with things like booking palmer in the 10th minute but they aren't there to decide what is and isn't the law.
But he didn’t apply the rules, and neither did VAR, for the boot in the face.

stay_up_skyblues

But he was a starter,should be ok,no ,used sub, I'd check that again cheating bastard's!!

I wish

Seems a sub who comes on later in the game qualifies, but not one who has come off 😡

Attachments

• 4cd72d37-25c3-4c65-a517-d8085d303697.jpeg
    4cd72d37-25c3-4c65-a517-d8085d303697.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 57

shmmeee

They don’t just “apply the rules” though, they constantly make judgement calls. And this was a poor one.

MalcSB

They don’t just “apply the rules” though, they constantly make judgement calls. And this was a poor one.
Exactly. They make judgement calls every time they choose to play an advantage, or not. They ignore foul throws, players not taking throws from the correct place, goalkeepers holding on to the ball for longer than 6 seconds, shirt pulling. Either apply the laws at all times, or use some discretion in situations like this which have disadvantaged nobody,

skybluegod

Just like most things there are things that have interpretation and things that are black and white. A non-active player running on the pitch is black and white in the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread