Our Best Hope... (1 Viewer)

Samo

Given that the current owners have made is very clear that they will not sufficiently fund a Championship club, our best hope now is that the club is under new ownership by the time the next window opens.
If that were to happen we may be able to patch up the threadbare squad, keep our better players and make it through to next summer when a big rebuild will be necessary.
Of course a lot may depend on when/if Wasps go under or are at least willing to fuck off.
I hope there is a lot going on in private to facilitate new ownership.

LastGarrison

Given that the current owners have made is very clear that they will not sufficiently fund a Championship club, our best hope now is that the club is under new ownership by the time the next window opens.
If that were to happen we may be able to patch up the threadbare squad, keep our better players and make it through to next summer when a big rebuild will be necessary.
Of course a lot may depend on when/if Wasps go under or are at least willing to fuck off.
I fear your hopes may be dashed.......

Samo

We can’t keep our best players. Why doesn’t anyone understand this?

Not all of them, of course not.
But hopefully the pressure to sell would be reduced, and the means to replace increased.

torchomatic

Our only hope is mass suicide. There's no other way. After all we are already relegated. What's the point in going on?

torchomatic

rob9872

The only quote I've seen is that we must be self sufficient. I'm not a sisu fan and don't believe they're the answer, but with no queue of bottomless pits, this is surely the correct approach. They've not taken funds out but to invest we must sell - for a long time that's been the model and hasn't changed. The hype regarding holding the 'stars' should mean it's been a successful window yet I see nothing but complaints.

I think it's results orientated and some are paying too much attention to the table and I'm sure people would be happier with the situation if we had a few more points on the board.

Skyblueweeman

And our squad as a whole is worse for it. And we keep on until they’ve got a year or less on their deal and all income has to supplement the club’s operating costs. And we can’t then improve.

We needed to sell one this summer. At least one. Mad to think otherwise.

O'Hare and Hamer signed new deals this season meaning they and Gyo are here for another two seasons. If they have good first halves of the season, whose to say we don't sell one in January.

The issue isn't keeping our best players. The issue is that we've not supplemented the squad maybe as much as we needed to.

If the experts on here keep saying 'we need to sell to balance the books', I'm pretty sure that those who run the club (who actually know the finances and what comes in and out) are aware of it as well. We managed to keep the 3 best players we have which at the start of the window, everyone would've wanted.

Samo

Also, I don't get the logic that keeping our 3 best players makes our squad worse? Weird logic mate.

I guess he's suggesting that we sell one of our best and buy 3 who have the potential to become one of the best,

Samo

Our only hope is mass suicide. There's no other way. After all we are already relegated. What's the point in going on?

Are you happy to be cycled through the lower leagues again Torch? If we don't find a buyer for the club, the result will be eventual relegation.

vow

I agree to a point @Samo but don't think SISU are going anywhere anytime soon until all avenues are exhuasted re. aquiring the CBS arena!?

Our Insect overlords going under would certainly be a bonus though m8.

theferret

Are we now saying then that it is no longer possible for a 2nd tier club to be self-sufficient? That to have any chance Championship clubs need subsidising, either through parachute payments or via a wealthy benefator?

I'm asking the question but I guess the answer is obvious. It's a really sad state of affairs when you think about it. How the fuck did we allow the game to get into this state? Really sad.

SBAndy

The issue isn't keeping our best players. The issue is that we've not supplemented the squad maybe as much as we needed to.

Because we’ve kept our best players. Crying out for a refresh of the squad as a whole. This isn’t me just being down about things because we haven’t won yet. My ideal was one going this summer for decent money, allowing us to get 2-3 in, then a further sale in January. Everyone knows we struggle to make ends meet so income was an absolute requirement for operating costs, but we also needed to continue the ‘model’ (which clearly doesn’t exist) by signing the next Hamer/O’Hare/Gyokeres.

I fully accept that we’re not going to throw good money after bad at player recruitment; I’ve said previously I quite like this relative self-sufficiency ‘model’. But we’ve just blown a hole in the bow because we’ve not sold and reinvested.

Skyblueweeman

Because we’ve kept our best players. Crying out for a refresh of the squad as a whole. This isn’t me just being down about things because we haven’t won yet. My ideal was one going this summer for decent money, allowing us to get 2-3 in, then a further sale in January. Everyone knows we struggle to make ends meet so income was an absolute requirement for operating costs, but we also needed to continue the ‘model’ (which clearly doesn’t exist) by signing the next Hamer/O’Hare/Gyokeres.

I fully accept that we’re not going to throw good money after bad at player recruitment; I’ve said previously I quite like this relative self-sufficiency ‘model’. But we’ve just blown a hole in the bow because we’ve not sold and reinvested.

Yeah but there's no guarantee that if a good one goes and the 3 that come in as replacements will be better? We lost Callum Wilson and got three duds from Bournemouth didn't we?

To say our squad is worse because we kept our 3 best players, is nonsense. Our squad is worse because we didn't invest on top of that (and have lost Hyam as well).

fernandopartridge

Are we now saying then that it is no longer possible for a 2nd tier club to be self-sufficient? That to have any chance Championship clubs need subsidising, either through parachute payments or via a wealthy benefator?

I'm asking the question but I guess the answer is obvious. It's a really sad state of affairs when you think about it. How the fuck did we allow the game to get into this state? Really sad.

Look at the PL, spending £2bn in transfer fees over this summer. It is obscene. We're experiencing the trickle down effect of that amassed PL wealth but not through income but wage demands.

Terry Gibson's perm

There is no guarantee that if we had sold any of the more valuable players that any of that money would have been invested back in to the playing side.

long way home

Our owners have reached the limit on what they can do with the club. They have to play the game by saying they want better than 12th in champ, it would be silly of them not to say that. But In truth what they say is not what they want, what they say is lip service to us.

The ins and outs are just aside show, simple facts are they don't care. They want a stress free business for a bottom half championship club, while talking and acting like they have aspirations that match the manager and fans desire.

I find Its always better to do something well, than say something nice. Saying something nice is often a lie, actions never lie. And the words of these owners never match the actions or outcomes. Its sad but most see what they are and will have to except the outcome until they sell.

They are not like us, they dont put us in any decisions they make on an emotional level. Its about keeping us at the door while selling us tickets to watch DB spinning his BS, as the greatest show on the planet. We will do as we have always done, support MR and the players at every turn. I just prefer to do it knowing the end game. If you see that, you know the journey and thats better for the stress levels.

Last edited:

Samo

Especially as they may have found some more mugs to bail them out.

Even so... does anyone think they have a realistic future in Coventry?

skyblu3sk

I think you can be sustainable in the championship through player sales. It won't get you to the prem unless you fluke it but it isn't guaranteed relegation either. I am buoyed by the fact we didn't sell our prize assets for less than they are worth to us!

Briles

It's a shame the championship doesn't give prize money based on final position. Would make owners like ours take the squad more seriously

Adge

Our owners have reached the limit on what they can do with the club. They have to play the game by saying they want better than 12th in champ, it would be silly of them not to say that. But In truth what they say is not what they want, what they say is lip service to us.

The ins and outs are just aside show, simple facts are they don't care. They want a stress free business for a bottom half championship club, while talking and acting like they have aspirations that match the manager and fans desire.

I find Its always better to do something well, than say something nice. Saying something nice is often a lie, actions never lie. And the words of these owners never match the actions or outcomes. Its sad but most see what they are and will have to except the outcome until they sell.

They are not like us, they dont put us in any decisions they make on an emotional level. Its about keeping us at the door while selling us tickets to watch DB spinning his BS, as the greatest show on the planet. We will do as we have always done, support MR and the players at every turn. I just prefer to do it knowing the end game. If you see that you know the journey and thats better for the stress levels i find...
What was alarming recently was a post match interview, think it was after the Hull defeat where Robins mentioned a “glass ceiling” which may be mind games on his part regarding the Hyam sale. Or maybe the realization that this is as far as he can go with the club. I’m hoping it’s not not the later.

ccfcchris

The only quote I've seen is that we must be self sufficient. I'm not a sisu fan and don't believe they're the answer, but with no queue of bottomless pits, this is surely the correct approach. They've not taken funds out but to invest we must sell - for a long time that's been the model and hasn't changed. The hype regarding holding the 'stars' should mean it's been a successful window yet I see nothing but complaints.

I think it's results orientated and some are paying too much attention to the table and I'm sure people would be happier with the situation if we had a few more points on the board.
I used to think like that but the problem for me is the eye-watering interest they charge the club for money they've put in.
I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but I'm firmly in the camp of our owner's need to f*ck off.

CDK

If sisu are looking for 60million upwards nothing will change.the Coventry public are stuck with em.Boddy for me has lost the respect of us all and looks a busted flush and the handling of the CBS debacle has made him look like a amateur chief exec.

shmmeee

Not through normal income alone and that’s been the case for a long time. Possibly the same even lower down, we weren’t exactly taking in profit in L1.

You either get promoted or you buy and sell potential. Neither are exactly a solid business plan. But us being good boys does nothing really but hamstring us. We hear all the time about how the last thing we want is to overspend, but we just spend less than almost every club out there. There must be a better balance.

rob9872

I used to think like that but the problem for me is the eye-watering interest they charge the club for money they've put in.
I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but I'm firmly in the camp of our owner's need to f*ck off.
Interest on their own debt means nothing until someone else is prepared to pay it as the funds aren't there to finance, it increases notionally each season. They do need to fk off but fan power is irrelevant or the various marches and protests would've tired them by now. They'll go when they're ready and until then all we can do is continue to get behind the lads and support them on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread