"Nothing in particular " games that linger in the memory...... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Are there any games that, for some reason, you never forget ? Not necessarily an important cup game or promotion/play off (ha ha) but a run of the mill match that no other teams' supporters would in the least be interested in but one which you were really glad you bothered to go to.

Two for me in particular - Wimbledon 0 City 2 at Selhurst Park - we were near the relegation zone and Nuddy scored 2 . It was a great game and the fans were absolutely amazing, with a pitch invasion at the end.

MK 1 City 3 - simply the support which was unbelievable. I was at the side and the celebrations I witnessed in the City end were extraordinary.

Nick

Administrator
Bury when we were 2-0 up at half time.
Preston in the JPT although that was a half decent game.
I remember going to Gillingham away as a kid for a birthday treat :)

Moff

Wow where do I start.

In the early 80's beating Sunderland 6-1 at home on a cold Tuesday night.
Preston at home a few years back when we won 2-1 to go top of the Championship, when Doyle scored a screamer (sadly we lost the next game 3-0 at home to Brizzle)
Beating Sheff Utd 1-0 at Bramall Lane in the early 90's when I was a student there. I think Bugsy scored a penalty. An absoloute shite game, but my mate who was with me was a Middlesborough fan, and couldnt believe our fans booed one of our own players (Paul Edwards) before kick off, although he was useless. I was embarrassed but it introduced him to the typical depression of a Midlands football supporter.

Last edited:

vincy

PNE V Cov last year

Rubbish performance, fans subdued, then they score and their fans start milking it. Players time wasting, crowd holding onto the ball, them stupid f****** lights of Joey Garner :jerkit: Blah blah.

Cov fans start getting up for it, players going for it.

Time added on 93,94,95.....97 BOOM Moussa HAVE THAT, cue our lot going mental. 1-1 .

The last 7 minutes turned what would have been a really bad day out, into a fantastic day out.

Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_OeJehYZEk

NorthernWisdom

2-1 v Reading at Reading. Davenport's first league goal for us, the joy of his celebration was genuine, he got booked for taking his shirt off, felt a little embarrassed afterwards.

But the reaction from some of his teammates also joining in when he got the goal was amazing. Some of the team actually *cared* and they were young, the future was bright!

Samo

3-3 v Middlesbrough at HR in the 80's, I think Bernie Slaven got a hatrick for them, stuck in my mind for some reason.

Moff

3-3 v Middlesbrough at HR in the 80's, I think Bernie Slaven got a hatrick for them, stuck in my mind for some reason.

Samo, it was 4-3 to Boro. Both Slaven and Speedie got hat tricks. Great game, shite result.

Samo

Or was it 4-3 to them?

Grendel

Are there any games that, for some reason, you never forget ? Not necessarily an important cup game or promotion/play off (ha ha) but a run of the mill match that no other teams' supporters would in the least be interested in but one which you were really glad you bothered to go to.

Two for me in particular - Wimbledon 0 City 2 at Selhurst Park - we were near the relegation zone and Nuddy scored 2 . It was a great game and the fans were absolutely amazing, with a pitch invasion at the end.

MK 1 City 3 - simply the support which was unbelievable. I was at the side and the celebrations I witnessed in the City end were extraordinary.

Are you referring to the cup game at Man City?

Samo

Samo, it was 4-3 to Boro. Both Slaven and Speedie got hat tricks. Great game, shite result.

Yeh just twigged before you posted, I've always been an optimist!

Moff

Yeh just twigged before you posted, I've always been an optimist!

Optimism always helps!

Sure that was the season Speedie scored that great chip against Norwich when we won at Carrow Road.
Funny old world, Sutton beat us, Norwich beat Sutton, we beat Norwich. I know which game I would heve preferred us to have won, so the BBC couldnt keep ramming the fekker down our throat for years.

Samo

and... I was very very drunk at the time. (the 80's)

Samo

Optimism always helps!

Sure that was the season Speedie scored that great chip against Norwich when we won at Carrow Road.
Funny old world, Sutton beat us, Norwich beat Sutton, we beat Norwich. I know which game I would heve preferred us to have won, so the BBC couldnt keep ramming the fekker down our throat for years.

With ya all the way Moff!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

oscillatewildly

2-1 v Reading at Reading. Davenport's first league goal for us, the joy of his celebration was genuine, he got booked for taking his shirt off, felt a little embarrassed afterwards.

But the reaction from some of his teammates also joining in when he got the goal was amazing. Some of the team actually *cared* and they were young, the future was bright!
Do you recall that twat at the front of the stand who tried to grab Bothroyd's shirt when he celebrated in similar fashion after his goal? :whistle:

Sumo the Micky Quinn

One of the few occasions I went to 'The Boro' on the cup day Norwich beat Sutton 8-0, hearing the score line on the tannoy.

One of the games I remember gong to was against Wimbledon at Highfield Road, one of the rare occasions of leaving the ground early, we were loosing 3-1 with 10 minutes to go. As I walked out the gate between the West End & Main Stand, a cry of 'GOAL' so me and everybody else who were streaming out of the gate went running back in, we all crammed against the barriers in the corner of the west terrace. A couple of minutes later another Goal, super sub Gynn in the last minute. 3-3.

Another game that sticks is the 5-0 win against Sheff Wed on a cold January afternoon. More so the cry's of Mcgee out from the City fans, joining in with the small group of Wednesday followers, with 'Mcgee out' banners on the fence of the away cop end.

Rusty Trombone

97/98 away at Bolton, they were second bottom, we were two points above them. Went one down and got it back to one all at half time, second half everything went for us and we won 5.1. I remember waving to the Bolton fans and taking the piss, then shitting myself on the way out of the ground in case they recognised me.

Some good players on show for us then, and when you look at the Bolton side makes you think it was always going to be an easy win. http://www.11v11.com/matches/bolton-wanderers-v-coventry-city-31-january-1998-23165/

malkitccfc

our 2-1 victory over leeds in our relegation season from the championship. not a day goes by where I don't mention this to my leeds supporting dad. and the crewe jpt first leg game. everytime i hear the word Crewe mentioned it brings back memories from that night

Brighton Sky Blue

Two final games of the season-winning 2-1 at Burnley when Jay Tabb scored the winner, and 1-0 at Stoke when Adebola got us a top 10 finish. The latter was memorable for Stoke announcing that Carl Hoefkens was player of the year as according to about half a dozen different Stoke supporters' clubs.

oscillatewildly

The 5-2 midweek victory at the 'old' Ewood park doesn't need Any further elaboration. A '2-2 draw' at home to Chelsea late 1980's. Never used to arrive at HR more than 2 mins before KO anyway, but on this occasion a mate decided to get an extra pint in late. Left the Brewer and Baker about 3.03 pm. Two minutes into the walk we heard a loud cheer go up. "Great" we thought 1-0 to us already (what we didn't know from being in a pub with old Irish folk music blaring out at volume from the jukie was that we'd actually taken the lead 30 or 40 seconds into the game) Stood on the Kop in a position where the face of the scoreboard wasn't easily seen and then witnessed Kerry Dixon put Chelsea '2-1 ahead'. Can't recall who 'equalised' for us but left feeling a bit miffed about the '2-2 draw.
It wasn't until one too many of my references to the draw when we got back to the pub that a few mates who we hadn't stood with at the game started doubting whether I'd even attended it. Imagine my surprise when the 'missing' first two minutes were revealed to me.
April 1997 up at Anfield. Liverpool closing in on their first title in years, City in the unfamiliar territory of a relegation battle. City arrived on Merseyside and got off the coach. Liverpool, not surprisingly absolutely battered us for the bulk of the game but only managed one goal. City won two corners, and scored from both of them. Then got back on the coach. That truly was our entire contribution to the game. Apparently, the team even looked disorganised getting off and then back on that coach. I actually remember feeling a bit dizzy in disbelief at what I'd just witnessed and really started believing that there was some kind of weird divine intervention in progress that meant we'd never be relegated. I honestly thought we were bullet proof.

Grendel

No. League game. I think this was the season Man City went down.

The cup game for me was always memorable.

Tommy Hutchison played for Man City and had said in the paper the club always went to Maine Road expecting defeat.

It was memorable for the Bodak goal to seal victory and the lovely reception the home fans gave at the end.

I remember a rare victory at Highbury as well when Dave Bamber scored the winner. About 50 Coventry fans in the ground.

LastGarrison

One at home to Bolton when we went 2-0 up but then they came back to grab a 2-2 draw.

Although the game was good, it was most memorable for the grief a ginger lad got in their end when he had half the West Terrace pointing at him and chanting Trevor Cleaver for about half an hour. Even his own mates were laughing at him.

The other one was Charlton at home in the FA cup when they were in the division below. We went 2-0 up but then they came back to win 3-2 and on the way out of the ground their fans were singing 2-0 down, 3-2 up, we're gonna win the FA cup. Wankers.

Terry Gibson's perm

19th May 2001 v Bradford, a nil nil draw after we had both been relegated and neither team could really be bothered and it showed.

Covstu

Last game of the season against Gillingham, lovely day and RS scored a screamer!

Watford away first game of the season, hot day, game cancelled due to Jimmy Davis's death but fuck me was that a good all dayer!!

Away at MK Dons, freezing cold day at the hockey stadium. You could feel the stadium vertually give way through people jumping up and down!

LastGarrison

19th May 2001 v Bradford, a nil nil draw after we had both been relegated and neither team could really be bothered and it showed.

It must be a Bradford thing because I always remember the 0-0 draw against them when they brought about 50 fans on bonfire night and literally the biggest cheers of the game were for the fireworks going off!!

fernandopartridge

Remember playing QPR mid 90s. We lost 1-0 I think but had 22 corners without scoring.

Going to Hillsborough in 2007, it pissed down and the game was called off after 27 minutes. Fancied us for the win. Good day on the piss ensued.

ajsccfc

I remember a home league game against Spurs around Christmas time one season that had no goals, but I still maintain that it's the finest 0-0 I ever did see. Paul Stewart was playing for them and they had a horrible yellow kit.

ccfcway

It must be a Bradford thing because I always remember the 0-0 draw against them when they brought about 50 fans on bonfire night and literally the biggest cheers of the game were for the fireworks going off!!

this. I remember that as the worst game of football i have ever seen.

Funny how memories play tricks on you. After the dross we have seen in the past few years, i would prob buy the DVD of that Bradford game now,

M&B Stand

Oldham away in the league cup mid nineties. City fans playing pool for shirts in boozer before the game. SBA coach used to do all dayers for league cup night games, leaving about 8.45am.

albatross

Remember Sunderland (rock bottom at the time) beating us 2-1 at HR in 1976 when Chicago's If you leave me now was number one I think, alway's hated that song

Users who are viewing this thread