chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
Ultimately the clubs aren't going to push that hard, they still get a decent bit of income without the costs associated with it. It just isn't something they'd actively market.
But its a weird middle ground. I mean ifollow is flakey when its a game we can legally watch here let alone when you add in VPNs. Just open it up and let those that want to pay to watch games. Removes any excuse for watching illegal streams. Its going to happen at some point so stop delaying the inevitable and denying yourself an income stream.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
But its a weird middle ground. I mean ifollow is flakey when its a game we can legally watch here let alone when you add in VPNs. Just open it up and let those that want to pay to watch games. Removes any excuse for watching illegal streams. Its going to happen at some point so stop delaying the inevitable and denying yourself an income stream.
Yeah, they have to follow the music business really, and accept the genie's out the bottle and they can't put it in, and at least try and manage it to their advantage as best they can. Also worth noting that bands make their money from touring nowadays rather than records, so it's clear the live experience won't necessarily suffer if you do that, and people will still want to go to the game itself if they can.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
I guess the deal with Sky is the blocker

David O'Day

Feb 28, 2015
I see the "successful" fence so successful it managed to filter the Sheffield fans right into the path of the city fans up by Pizza Hut. Good job everyone was in a good mood and the worst it got was a bit of little hearted mockery and 50 yard hero shouting about northern bastards from half to tesco.

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
Yeah, they have to follow the music business really, and accept the genie's out the bottle and they can't put it in, and at least try and manage it to their advantage as best they can.
They're well on the road to making the same mistake the music business made. Head in the sand and assume the problem with go away and by the time you face up to reality your product is completely devalued as everyone is used to getting it for free.
I guess the deal with Sky is the blocker
Issues like that are often easy to resolve. Sky have exclusive rights to domestic cricket yet you can watch every ball of every country championship game for free on YouTube as well as some white ball games.

SBT

Sep 14, 2012
They're well on the road to making the same mistake the music business made. Head in the sand and assume the problem with go away and by the time you face up to reality your product is completely devalued as everyone is used to getting it for free.

Music industry revenues are at their highest levels in decades and have been growing steadily for years. When your product is universally popular, there is almost always a way back.

SBT

Sep 14, 2012
Cheers, I notice they make the cut off the bottom of the trough. Revenue in the 90s was an order of magnitude higher before internet piracy came along:

View attachment 24151

Yeah, true. But I think the music industry faced a much greater challenge from piracy than football ever did/ever will, and it’s doing just fine.

In any case I think the movie/home entertainment industry is a better comparison, with the bums on seats demanding an ever-more premium product, and the oiks at home constantly debating whether to ditch illegal streams for a more dependable, high quality service that is affordable and easy to use. The companies who’ve managed to nail that balance (Netflix, Disney, Discovery, even Comcast) have been raking it in, even if it comes at the expense of the traditionalists who love the in-person product, and I expect football will go a similar way. Even then, football has a built-in advantage because people want to watch it a) live and b) together. As long as that’s the case, the clubs and the broadcasters will always have the upper hand.

Reactions: shmmeee

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
Yeah, true. But I think the music industry faced a much greater challenge from piracy than football ever did/ever will, and it’s doing just fine.
Its doing just fine because they've moved the goalposts. Instead of just revenue generated by music itself labels now routinely sign artists to 360 deals where they make money of the artists merchandise, touring and basically everything.

Can't see that happening in football. Imagine signing a player who has a 7 figure deal with Nike and the club saying that's no longer the players money, it goes to the club!

Of course things bounce back but the longer you delay the inevitable the longer the dip and the harder it is to bounce back.

SBT

Sep 14, 2012
Its doing just fine because they've moved the goalposts. Instead of just revenue generated by music itself labels now routinely sign artists to 360 deals where they make money of the artists merchandise, touring and basically everything.

Can't see that happening in football. Imagine signing a player who has a 7 figure deal with Nike and the club saying that's no longer the players money, it goes to the club!

Of course things bounce back but the longer you delay the inevitable the longer the dip and the harder it is to bounce back.

Football clubs already do make money off their “artists” merchandise, live performances, prize money etc, it’s their entire business model. A player’s contract with their team is as close to a 360 contract as you can get. The clubs have done great out of it.

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
Football clubs already do make money off their “artists” merchandise, live performances, prize money etc, it’s their entire business model. A player’s contract with their team is as close to a 360 contract as you can get. The clubs have done great out of it.
Fair enough, I've never heard of clubs taking the money players get for doing endorsements, advertising etc but if that's the case its still not really a reason to turn down another viable income stream.

IMO the longer they hold off on making games available legally the more people will find alternative ways of watching them and once people are doing that it becomes much harder to turn them into a paying customer if and when you do decide to make a legal option.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Club doing a ticket offer for the Hull game but lots of ST holders not receiving an email? Waste of time if people don’t know about it @Sky Blue Pete

The failsafe would be just to advertise it openly or just make it £10 admission for anybody regardless of whether or not a season ticket holder as with all the will in the world at £10 a ticket it's still unlikely to bring in any more than an extra 11555 on the gate.

SBT

Sep 14, 2012
Fair enough, I've never heard of clubs taking the money players get for doing endorsements, advertising etc but if that's the case its still not really a reason to turn down another viable income stream.

IMO the longer they hold off on making games available legally the more people will find alternative ways of watching them and once people are doing that it becomes much harder to turn them into a paying customer if and when you do decide to make a legal option.

I mean, you can sponsor a player for the season, but who gets the money? Same as the prize money that the players earn, or the ticket sales that the players bring in. The 360 deal is essentially saying ‘You perform, I’ll make a business around it, and we’ll each take a cut’ - it applies to footballers and musicians in similar ways!

But you’ve nailed the issue with your second point. My worry is that the game is going to cater more and more towards the fans watching at home/overseas, to the detriment of the live match day experience.

chiefdave

Sep 27, 2008
Coventry
But you’ve nailed the issue with your second point. My worry is that the game is going to cater more and more towards the fans watching at home/overseas, to the detriment of the live match day experience.
There's not a huge amount of data on this, anecdotally it doesn't seem to make much difference. For me the biggest thing would be more thought in the fixture scheduling so no massively long midweek trips.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
My worry is that the game is going to cater more and more towards the fans watching at home/overseas, to the detriment of the live match day experience.

I can't see that, certainly not at our level anyway. There's evidence that the full live experience will still be the most desirable, so people will still go, and of course even watching it streamed you want to imagine you're there, so the better the all-round atmosphere, the better it is for remote viewers too.

And, of course, there's a fair chance it pushes those who do go to make it more memorable off their own bat.

I honestly can't see any reason that the two can't co-exist relatively easily and peacefully.

Sky Blue Pete

Nov 24, 2012
They made sure I got the renewal email ;)
The answer I received was

Hi Pete

No worries, hope you're well.

Just spoke to our CRM Executive, who runs our emailing now. It was for all ST holders.

This will largely be down to them either not opting in to receive marketing emails from the Club or not having a valid/current email on their account. They can update their preferences and details on the eticketing website on their account.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Hornby
Head of Marketing & Communications
Coventry City Football Club

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011

Hi Pete

Just spoke to our CRM Executive, who runs our emailing now. It was for all ST holders.

This will largely be down to them either not opting in to receive marketing emails from the Club or not having a valid/current email on their account. They can update their preferences and details on the eticketing website on their account.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Hornby

i did get it but it was such a convoluted e mail it literally will get zero attention

• Wow
Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Hi Pete

Thanks

Mark

Mark Hornby

Not sure this is true. I’ve not had it but had marketing emails as recently as four days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread