Match Thread Northampton Town Match Thread (4 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

Half this forum were on holiday for the first league game. Why is it such a shock that they are still away a few days later.

People are actually wanting to give money to the club.

procdoc

I’d love to go tonight but been stuck at home for nearly a week with back problems. Got physio on Friday and an MRI in the next few weeks. Until I’m fixed I don’t fancy sitting on a stadium seat, will be agony haha

Hertsccfc

Would have been interesting to trial it in the competition. The amount of surveying EFL did on streaming opportunities last season suggested to me that it was going to become more widespread. Seems not, so far at least.

Even if it was the same ticket price, or for away games only, or whatever. I do think there’s a big opportunity being missed.
Agree with that. I think they are losing a lot of money this way, especially from people who can't attend matches because of where they live or because of health issues,. Personally I would pay full cost to be able to stream matches that I can't actually get to. It was great to be able to see every match last season.

Legia Sky Blue

I don't recall League Cup games being streamed previously. Don't think the Gillingham game last season was, although EFL Cup games were when we were in Leagues 1 & 2.

shmmeee

Possibly but it's a shit excuse really. Last year was hopefully a massive one off.

For me the club don’t see it as a first team game so neither do I. Same as the U23 matches, I wouldn’t go out my way to watch them but I’d happily buy a stream cos it’s better than Love Island and I don’t have to get childcare.

Evo1883

Northampton have sold over 750 tickets for tonight's game. Not a bad effort.
Their big day out this season
giphy.gif

Evo1883

So far this season we have had :-

N Forest = Too expensive and on TV so Im not going
Northampton = Im not going even though its only £12 - wish I could watch it on TV
I'm not going because all my money goes on the home and away league games 🤣

Never been into early cup rounds tbh

Great_Expectations

Tempted to head up tonight especially as I missed Saturday, but depends on the kids.

I usually eat/drink fairly far away and walk along the canal. If I go tonight as it’ll be last minute, what’s the situ with parking? How close can I get? Tesco still ok as long as you spend a certain amount?

hill83

For me the club don’t see it as a first team game so neither do I. Same as the U23 matches, I wouldn’t go out my way to watch them but I’d happily buy a stream cos it’s better than Love Island and I don’t have to get childcare.

It is a first team game though. No issue with you not wanting to go, I don't normally bother for cup games until the later rounds but I don't think it should be streamed. Extra money to the club via streaming doesn't convince me either. It's a slippery slope long term.

If I wasn't going I'd be more than happy to take it on the chin that it's highlights only.

shmmeee

It is a first team game though. No issue with you not wanting to go, I don't normally bother for cup games until the later rounds but I don't think it should be streamed. Extra money to the club via streaming doesn't convince me either. It's a slippery slope long term.

I just think the first step on that slope was the club deciding it doesn’t matter enough to put out a full team (granted we don’t know for sure yet, but previous seasons would suggest), that sent the signal to fans not to bother so they may as well pick up a few extras.

I think the genies out the bottle with streaming now. I’ll be able to access every match in the league this season which means dodgy fire stick and hesgoal people will too. Either stop it all or let those of us willing to pay watch.

Covkid1968#

The lad needs to decide whether he's a footballer or a party guy
Was faced with the exact same choice at the age of 18….. and at 53 nobody accuses me of choosing wrong and wasting my career after they’ve seen me turn a pack of balloons into an assortment of dogs…. Kids love it

djr8369

Completely disagree. Just because you can't be arsed shouldn't mean it should be streamed. That would encourage more people to stay away.

Last year was great* but we are allowed back in the ground now.

*shite

Caveat being people abroad etc, but that's another conversation.
Personally I want to be able to attend every home league game but stream the away games. I’m unlikely to turn up to a cup game like this on a week night but I would defo pay to stream it. After the success of streaming last year it feels like there’s some middle ground to be had.

I can understand they want people to go physically but it feels archaic not to be able to stream as an alternative these days. The rules they have don’t even make sense, why is it only Saturday afternoon you can’t stream a game for instance?

My solution would be make the streaming costs a bit higher and ticket prices lower.

As bad as the whole pandemic scenario was it was amazing to be able to stream every game.

djr8369

Football clubs have to decide if they're going to be the Metallica vs Napster, or if they'll work with the technology to make the best of it.
You can’t halt technological progress. Foolish to try and do so IMO. Fans who are less invested will be dragged away to other sports with better access. Look how many follow the NFL these days for instance or the big teams that are on sky more regularly.

shmmeee

Personally I want to be able to attend every home league game but stream the away games. I’m unlikely to turn up to a cup game like this on a week night but I would defo pay to stream it. After the success of streaming last year it feels like there’s some middle ground to be had.

I can understand they want people to go physically but it feels archaic not to be able to stream as an alternative these days. The rules they have don’t even make sense, why is it only Saturday afternoon you can’t stream a game for instance?

My solution would be make the streaming costs a bit higher and ticket prices lower.

As bad as the whole pandemic scenario was it was amazing to be able to stream every game.

Think the Saturday rule is a UEFA one?

BornSlippySkyBlue

I’d love to go tonight but been stuck at home for nearly a week with back problems. Got physio on Friday and an MRI in the next few weeks. Until I’m fixed I don’t fancy sitting on a stadium seat, will be agony haha
You have my sympathy (stretches and core exercises are your friend, I can’t stress that enough (y)). I’ve had what you might call a bad back over the years (9 discs gone so far…).

SlowerThanPlatt

For anyone who doesn’t have access to CWR, “Kick Off” on Talksport is being covered from our game tonight, so should be some occasional updates

Legia Sky Blue

Some years ago they used to make the first cup game free for ST holders

I think you are wrong on this. My first season ticket was 78/79 and granted I haven't always had a season ticket since then, but I never got to see a cup game included on my season ticket in the years that I did. It's not logical either, because unlike league games the attendance money is shared with the away club, who would surely veto freebies, as otherwise they would lose out on match revenue too.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think you are wrong on this. My first season ticket was 78/79 and granted I haven't always had a season ticket since then, but I never got to see a cup game included on my season ticket in the years that I did. It's not logical either, because unlike league games the attendance money is shared with the away club, who would surely veto freebies, as otherwise they would lose out on match revenue too.

In 2017 if you bought an early bird ST you got the first cup game free

Fans who do buy a season ticket will also get a free ticket to the Sky Blues’ first cup game of the new campaign.

Paxman II

I'm expecting to see Bright, DeCosta, Allen, Shipley, Walker, Drysdale, Rose, Wilson and possibly some more minutes for jones tonight.

Legia Sky Blue

In 2017 if you bought an early bird ST you got the first cup game free

Ok, fair enough, I wasn't a season ticket holder then so wouldn't know for definite. I see we played Maidenhead in front of 3,370, so I presume a lot of people didn't make use of their free ticket regardless.

edit: Just realise you probably meant the Blackburn EFL cup game which had a crowd of 5,372, but still a poor crowd if the vast majority were not paying.

SlowerThanPlatt

Ok, fair enough, I wasn't a season ticket holder then so wouldn't know for definite. I see we played Maidenhead in front of 3,370, so I presume a lot of people didn't make use of their free ticket regardless.
That was an FA Cup game, we played Blackburn in tonight’s equivalent

Users who are viewing this thread