New York (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Off to New York in a couple of weeks, anyone got any recommendations for decent bars, places to eat etc?

Otis

I went to a lovely Italian restaurant, but it's quite a few years ago and I can't remember the name.

It's a spit and sawdust place. As we were walking in, the owner had someone by their shirt tails and was literally throwing them out on to the street.

Food was lovely though. 👍

clint van damme

Off to New York in a couple of weeks, anyone got any recommendations for decent bars, places to eat etc?

5th Avenue rooftop bar in Manhattan was really good though I'd imagine it's quite chilly this time of year.
Get over to Brooklyn. DUMBO or Williamsburg are decent then walk back across Brooklyn Bridge for that iconic view of Manhattan.

SBT

Arturo’s in the West Village for live jazz and delicious pizza

Artichoke Pizza (various locations) for a giant slab of pizza on the go - although neither places do traditional NY slices

Barcade (various locations) for craft beers and vintage arcade games

Rudy’s Bar and Grill (Hell’s Kitchen) for a proper old skool dive bar experience, with $3 beers and unlimited free hot dogs

The Press Lounge in Hell’s Kitchen for cocktails and a rooftop view of Midtown and the Hudson

Bathtub Gin in the West Village for a secret speakeasy hidden inside a laundromat

Minton’s Playhouse in Harlem for incredible live jazz

The food’s all amazing, you can’t go too far wrong.

Tommo1993

My favourite place. Like Clint, I’d recommend 5th Ave rooftop.

Perhaps if you nip down to Madison Sq Gardens, you could cross the road and head in to Hooters.

fernandopartridge

I found a few decent bars after visiting the Chelsea Market. That general area including the meat packing district and Greenwich Village has a few places. It ain't cheap mind.

Sick Boy

My favourite place. Like Clint, I’d recommend 5th Ave rooftop.

Perhaps if you nip down to Madison Sq Gardens, you could cross the road and head in to Hooters.
I reckon Hooters would go down nearly as badly as suggesting going to an Italian American restaurant.

SBT

Going on holiday to New York and going to Hooters would be like going to Sicily and eating at Pizza Express.

shepardo01

Some good suggestions from SBT,

Pizza in Times Sq. John's Pizzeria...
Looks like a dodgy dive - little door, not much frontage.... but then when you get in!!!

Go to little Italy- decent food places - take your pick.

We did a river cruise and walked back from peir 44 (maybe wrong number) through Chelsea back towards Empire State/MSGs - loads of decent looking places on the streets

Other things to do....

Do Rockerfella Centre in evening just before dark... watch all the lights come on... a sight to see...

Free trip (i think... or dirt cheap!) on staten island ferry .... see statue of liberty and get a great sight of manhattan.

Go to see Grand Central Station

Starlight diner for breakfast- get there early to avoid big queues.

Walk the "High Line"

Downtown open top bus tour (better than uptown)

World trade center - worth going up 1wtc too....

clint van damme

Some good suggestions from SBT,

Pizza in Times Sq. John's Pizzeria...
Looks like a dodgy dive - little door, not much frontage.... but then when you get in!!!

Do Rockerfella Centre in evening just before dark... watch all the lights come on... a sight to see...

Free trip (i think... or dirt cheap!) on staten island ferry .... see statue of liberty and get a great sight of manhattan.

Go to see Grand Central Station

Starlight diner for breakfast- get there early to avoid big queues.

Walk the "High Line"

Downtown open top bus tour (better than uptown)

World trade center - worth going up 1wtc too....

Starlight diner! One for the ladies that mate (yes I got dragged there).

Sick Boy

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, much appreciated. We’re staying on 51st street, so a lot of these places are going to be nearby.

LastGarrison

If you’re there on a Saturday and are a Soprano’s fan then I highly recommend doing the location tour!

We got to meet Vito before the tour and have pictures with him and then it takes you around various sites shot in the series whilst also showing you the scenes on the tv on the bus. You get to go and have a beer in the Bada Bing, onion rings in the cafe in the final scene of the final series etc. highly recommended!

Sick Boy

If you’re there on a Saturday and are a Soprano’s fan then I highly recommend doing the location tour!

We got to meet Vito before the tour and have pictures with him and then it takes you around various sites shot in the series whilst also showing you the scenes on the tv on the bus. You get to go and have a beer in the Bada Bing, onion rings in the cafe in the final scene of the final series etc. highly recommended!
It’s always been on my ‘to do’ list - we’re not there on a Saturday, unfortunately. I saw there are a few options to go on one but they don’t seem to atop at the Bing.

LastGarrison

It’s always been on my ‘to do’ list - we’re not there on a Saturday, unfortunately. I saw there are a few options to go on one but they don’t seem to atop at the Bing.
Yeah the one I did is Saturday only.

That’s a shame as it was quality!

Also, recommend the Greenwich Village area for a night out and we ended up at a live music/cabaret place called Poisson Rouge which was very cool.

Tommo1993

Yeah the one I did is Saturday only.

That’s a shame as it was quality!

Also, recommend the Greenwich Village area for a night out and we ended up at a live music/cabaret place called Poisson Rouge which was very cool.

We planned to go up to Greenwich Village on our last planned visit to NYC. Covid saw to that though.

PurpleBin

Pretty much what everyone else said.

On dive bars, Jimmys Corner off Times Square is the dive bar of dive bars. Some proper characters in there, including the bar staff. Rudys as someone else mentiones is decent as well for a pub feel without getting your pants pulled down on price purely because of location. Another bar worth going to is Puffys downtown. About 5 minutes walk from ground zero.

Breakfast suggestion would be the Tick Tock diner opposite MSG. Cracking scran.

Oh and another bar, Milanos which is on thr lower east side not too far from where Heebie Jeebies once was. Again, a dive bar for sure. If you want ale that isn't all top hat and tails for twice the price, those three I'd recommend.

fernandopartridge

I used to go to a diner "Scotty's" on Lexington Avenue for breakfast, great little place. Very traditional, according to Google it has permanently closed now though, looks like it's a victim of COVID.

Another similar place I liked was the Westway Diner on 9th Ave. Breakfast in NY is always decent.

NJSkyBlue

I work at the WTC … many places are still closed for food in the Oculus; I’d recommend heading over to Stone Street if you’re in the Financial District / Wall St area - old cobbled street with lots of bars and restaurants. Ulysses is a decent spot. Full Shilling on Pearl St nearby too.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Lombardis is the oldest or supposedly first pizzeria, was cash only when we visited.
lots of free walking tours or jump on your bike to get around and cover lots of areas
whispering corner at grand central - one of the free things to do

Bertola

Cacio E Vino is a cracking italian restaurant.
Keens is a great steak house.
230 5th - the rooftop bar other have mentioned is great.

jordan210

Get yourself a wallgreens reward card before you go. Will save you some good money on drinks and food as always good offers for reward members

olderskyblue

We actually dined at Grand Central Station. Lots to choose from, but we frequented an American restaurant, the food was great, and the servers top rate and great fun. Seemed weird to dine out at a station, but would definitely go again.

Bertola

We actually dined at Grand Central Station. Lots to choose from, but we frequented an American restaurant, the food was great, and the servers top rate and great fun. Seemed weird to dine out at a station, but would definitely go again.

We did that too. Michael Jordan own a restaurant in there. Sadly he wasn't there at the same time as us.

Mr Panda

Thinking of going again just to do this tour. Amazing!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Never been to the States and I don't think I ever will now. Too bloody old! Having said that, New York is one place I'd avoid like the plague. It's never interested me one bit. Too much like London. All buildings and tourists! I'd rather see places like New England, Colorado, Utah, Idaho etc. Small towns where you get to meet real people. I've been to London hundreds of times - both business and visiting people - and hated it every time. New York just sounds too much like the Smoke. Anyway, just my opinion C4L, and I hope you have a great time. Stick some pictures up on here later, to show how much fun can be had if you try! ;)

SBT

Never been to the States and I don't think I ever will now. Too bloody old! Having said that, New York is one place I'd avoid like the plague. It's never interested me one bit. Too much like London. All buildings and tourists! I'd rather see places like New England, Colorado, Utah, Idaho etc. Small towns where you get to meet real people. I've been to London hundreds of times - both business and visiting people - and hated it every time. New York just sounds too much like the Smoke. Anyway, just my opinion C4L, and I hope you have a great time. Stick some pictures up on here later, to show how much fun can be had if you try! ;)

Which cities do you like?!

Users who are viewing this thread