My 20 year Cov supporting history (1 Viewer)

Joy Division

1991/92 19th
1992/93 15th
1993/94 11th
1994/95 16th
1995/96 16th
1996/97 17th
1997/98 11th
1998/99 15th
1999/00 14th
2000/01 19th
2001/02 11th
2002/03 20th
2003/04 12th
2004/05 19th
2005/06 8th
2006/07 17th
2007/08 21st
2008/09 17th
2009/10 19th
2010/11 18th

Pining for the glory days of 2005/06

Sick Boy

I am sure that there are 40/50, maybe more clubs in the football league who would love to swap the last 20 years.

People take it for granted we were in the Premiership and still see it is our rightful home. It is not as though we have spent the last 20 years in the Conference.

Otis

Though we have spent the last 20 years like we were asleep at the back of a conference.

Joy Division

I am sure that there are 40/50, maybe more clubs in the football league who would love to swap the last 20 years.

People take it for granted we were in the Premiership and still see it is our rightful home. It is not as though we have spent the last 20 years in the Conference.

40/50? Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that.

Losing consistently in the Premiership or any division doesn't equal to any kind of success for me.

skyblueman

40/50? Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that.

Losing consistently in the Premiership or any division doesn't equal to any kind of success for me.

Staying in the top flight for so long was an achievement it has to be said - not always good to watch but I was proud - since then .. no I'm sorry it has been largely piss poor

W

westcountry_skyblue

I've been going since 75/76 The stats would'nt read much better apart from 77/78 !!

Macca

Funny how your mind plays tricks, I thought the back end of the 90 s was way better than that

ohitsaidwalker king power

The saddest part about that 20 years is the lost generation of support.... particularly since our spectacular fall from Premier league Grace.. a whole generation of youngsters denied.
Of course football clubs up, down and across the land can claim similar, but I think the cosmopolitan nature of the city of Coventry, with its diversity of demographic is particularly sensitive to football peaks and troughs. The citizens of Coventry whether we like it or not do not have the strong identity and connection with their football club like a Newcastle or a Liverpool, a Leicester or a Derby...its citizens have always been fickle, happy to attend when the sun shines and remain dormant when the stormy clouds gather, this isn't a criticism, my choice to attend every home game isn't based on rational thought, its just what I do.
I'm not sure why but the football club has never been truly intertwined into the fabric of society (except for the JH years).. re establishing that connection, made even harder since the Ricoh move, where the club now sits on the outskirts of the City itself is arguably a more vital task than the next managerial appointment.

Last edited:

skybluesam66

at what ever level you play at , you want to be competitive - in my 40 years of following city, that is about 5 seasons

you then would like a bit of success - a cup final or a top 6 finish (most teams manage this every 4 or 5 years) we have done it once in 40 years

and we now have this dross
This managerial appointment is the biggest in the club's history!!

Sick Boy

We were in the top flight for 34 years.

I am sure that before Hill was on the scene, this would have been considered a magnificent achievement for a club the size of Coventry.

AFCCOVENTRY

Premiership was fun.... even though we flirted with relegation there were some good moments.

Derek White playing for us in defence when we thrashed Blackburn 5-0 at Highfield Rd on a windy rainy day. :D

Joy Division

We were in the top flight for 34 years.

I am sure that before Hill was on the scene, this would have been considered a magnificent achievement for a club the size of Coventry.

Being in the top flight is impressive yes, I guess not finishing in the top half is okay then?

I think people look back on the premiership years fonder than it actually was. I'd swap it all in an instant for at least one season of pushing for a promotion.

Sick Boy

Being in the top flight is impressive yes, I guess not finishing in the top half is okay then?

I think people look back on the premiership years fonder than it actually was. I'd swap it all in an instant for at least one season of pushing for a promotion.

So you would swap 34 years in the top flight for a season in League 1 pushing for promotion? Are you insane?

For a club the size of Coventry, retaining our place in the top flight was massive. I couldn't care less where we finished, my fondest memory supporting CCFC is of the day out at White Hart Lane when we stayed up. I think you under estimate how well we did staying up there for so long.

Joy Division

So you would swap 34 years in the top flight for a season in League 1 pushing for promotion? Are you insane?

For a club the size of Coventry, retaining our place in the top flight was massive. I couldn't care less where we finished, my fondest memory supporting CCFC is of the day out at White Hart Lane when we stayed up. I think you under estimate how well we did staying up there for so long.

Your fondest memory is staying up at White Hart Lane? Says it all I guess.

davebart

The season 1999-2000 was actually pretty good because our home form was superb. We didn't win a single away game.

But this was the season that probably put us where we are now.

Users who are viewing this thread