Most recommended away trips this season (1 Viewer)

ms639

Hi all,

Having only got to 4 away games last season I am making a promise to myself to atleast double that this season. Would like to hear good recommendations for away days based on experience from you guys.

Cheers

Jackoskyblue

I enjoyed Peterborough last year easy on the train from Nuneaton, Oakham brewery if your into your ales plenty of other places for a nice pint too.

Burton I'm sure will be a great day out never been before myself

Crewe just because we seem to have developed a bit of a rivalry recently

LB87ccfc

Hi all,

Having only got to 4 away games last season I am making a promise to myself to atleast double that this season. Would like to hear good recommendations for away days based on experience from you guys.

Cheers

1st of all , away games are far more fun, especially if you like to have a drink or two beforehand.

League one does not have the best of away trips but ok ones I would say are -

Walsall - Drink in Birmingham beforehand and 3 quid return train directly to the Bescott from New Street
Burton - Should be a good day out
Shrewsbury - Plenty of establishments in the town centre but a taxi is advised to the ground, pre book it in advance or you'l be walking ( if you come via train)
Sheffield United - Decent enough ground, plenty of establishments in the City Centre for drinking and bite to eat.
Port Vale - Decent away holding end just a bit of a shit hole.
Doncaster is not toooo bad shit home fans though no banter.
Wigan - for an alright ground, shit hole though
Millwall - For London day out - otherwise its a dive
Peterborough on the train is a good day, until you get to the ground, its shit now the away end has gone and not the same
Blackpool and Southend are decent for stopping the weekend.

I could be here all day but just IMO some of the alright ones ( but again their really is not that many and depends on your preferred choice of transport)

Last edited:

LB87ccfc

I enjoyed Peterborough last year easy on the train from Nuneaton, Oakham brewery if your into your ales plenty of other places for a nice pint too.

Burton I'm sure will be a great day out never been before myself

Crewe just because we seem to have developed a bit of a rivalry recently

Please tell me your joking right , what with a bunch of 14 year olds

SlowerThanPlatt

How many tickets do you get at Burton? Guessing not many because it's a small ground. Looking forward to going if I can get tickets.

Kingokings204

How many tickets do you get at Burton? Guessing not many because it's a small ground. Looking forward to going if I can get tickets.

Burton is one of the closer ones but doesn't hold many. We have them start of September and if we and them have a good start then tickets will be at a premium. The away end is standing only. Easy to get to though and easy to park.

LB87ccfc

I'm not being sarcastic - we had a great day out. Found a cracking pub not far from the ground, great drink up and then really decent atmosphere in that temporary stand behind the goal. Shit result, mind.

It obviously does not take much to satisfy you then mate, Gillingham is easily the worst away day in the whole league bar none, been Gillingham loads of times, only decent time was when Shaw scored.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Crewe is always a good pissup, if it's football you're after I wouldn't bother as we always loose there!

cornoccfc

Peterborough
Burton (terrace!!!)
Port Vale
Walsall

would be my picks

DerekFaulkner

It obviously does not take much to satisfy you then mate, Gillingham is easily the worst away day in the whole league bar none, been Gillingham loads of times, only decent time was when Shaw scored.
No, it just means that you lack imagination and are clearly joyless.

SkyBlue_Am

Iv marked the following away days on my calender

Sat 22nd august walsall
Sat 5th september burton
Sat 10th october fleetwood
Sat 23rd jan southend
Sat 20th feb shrewsbury
Sat 12th march blackpool

Mr pot

Away days compensate for the misery of going every other week to the Ricoh.

Personally wallsall, Burton, bury, Southend and millwall top of my list this time round

Bob Latchford

If you can avoid the thugs, Swindon is a good day out.

Joy Division

Away days compensate for the misery of going every other week to the Ricoh.

Personally wallsall, Burton, bury, Southend and millwall top of my list this time round

Never been to Millwall, is the reputation of an away day there that bad or is it the the same as going to any other game?

chiefdave

I've been told on another forum that Swindon dislike us a lot for something that happened in 2011. I've been there twice and its definitely a bigger game than a normal league fixture for them.

What happened in 2011? Didn't go there last season but I remember the season before I was walking back to the car park when it all kicked off and their fans started chucking lumps of concrete.

SlowerThanPlatt

What happened in 2011? Didn't go there last season but I remember the season before I was walking back to the car park when it all kicked off and their fans started chucking lumps of concrete.

I'm not sure just a Swindon fan on another forum mentioned it. Maybe a few of the hooligans on here could shed some light :D

smileycov

Facebook User
Never been to Millwall, is the reputation of an away day there that bad or is it the the same as going to any other game?

It isn't that bad. They do not see us as anything so as long as you aren't giving it you be fine. Saying that, they are very very bad losers and have more than there fair share of dickhead.

SlowerThanPlatt

It isn't that bad. They do not see us as anything so as long as you aren't giving it you be fine. Saying that, they are very very bad losers and have more than there fair share of dickhead.

We'll take quite a lot considering its first away of the season and a London game. Any large following and they'll be more idiots than usual in the Milwall end looking for trouble just like us when a team brings a large following down

smileycov

Facebook User
I have been loads of times, and been fortunate to not have any issues, there are dickheads but no where near as bad as the 70's or 80's cold blow lane was a hell hole haha!!

LB87ccfc

That is what the previous poster was trying to say - it was not 2011.

LB87ccfc

We'll take quite a lot considering its first away of the season and a London game. Any large following and they'll be more idiots than usual in the Milwall end looking for trouble just like us when a team brings a large following down

Be fine down Millwall, they are not up to much these days, just a few tried throwing their dummies out at family club away days last season but nothing to be worried about.

LB87ccfc

Any other really, they have dickheads, we have dickheads, who don't still goes on if you want it, but policing / cameras has it under wraps most of the time, you'l just get some banter down their during the game, which city like to give it out too anyway, just enjoy the day and behave yourself, you will be fine.

Bob Latchford

I found the old Den a cracking old ground. no problems.

The Lurker

It was 2012 if I remember correctly. Fair amount of city fans got ambushed going back to the coaches. They were animals. Also police seemed to set it up. Parked the coaches half a mile from the ground. Same season they came here mob handed picking on normal fans

Bob Latchford

Think it was the 12/13 season. for some reason their thugs decided to attack cov fans on their way back to the coaches/cars/train station.

Users who are viewing this thread