Meta VR Headsets (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody got one? Considering arranging Santa to get one for my daughter (It will likely be the 2).

Is it something that's just going to get used twice and left in a box?

Otis

Anybody got one? Considering arranging Santa to get one for my daughter (It will likely be the 2).

Is it something that's just going to get used twice and left in a box?
For that last sentence, you are still talking about the headset aren't you and not your daughter?

Ian1779

My son has one - absolutely loves it. I think it depends if they have friends that have them so they can play together, but I would definitely recommend. Easy to set up from your Facebook account too, and gives you easy access to parental controls.

Nick

Administrator
She doesn't have Facebook but do I need one to set it up?

She's really into gaming so I think will like it and for watching YouTube etc.

I think you can link it to pc too?

Ian1779

I don’t have Facebook either but my wife set it up from her account easily, so he had a child Meta account connected to her Facebook account.

You can link it, don’t know exact details though.

Nick

Administrator
Ah I'll have to try and figure it out.

I'll try and find out what games she would play. I'm guessing Roblox and stuff like that!!

Covkid1968#

I’m not in to techie stuff but this gives me an opportunity to brag about my cousin who won an award for his creation of Apples VR headset . We don’t have a lot in common… he lives in California in a huge house with a swimming pool and earns millions and I don’t! But he’s a top lad who I used to tell him he’d make nothing of his life by playing video games all day. Since then he’s won a BAFTA for his programming work on a TV series and did the programming on the Apple headset. Fricking geek!!

Terry Gibson's perm

My 11 year old lad has one and he uses it quiet often, I used it for the other night as I have always wanted to be a Jedi and it’s great fun but very hard work.

Nick

Administrator
It was but I am sure I looked a right twat, weird when I took off the glasses I was facing in the other direction than I expected plus I find it hard to stay in the circle

Do you end up punching the stuff around you?

I don't have a massive amount of space so don't want her putting my TV through.

shmmeee

I'll try and find out what games she would play. I'm guessing Roblox and stuff like that!!

I’ve got a quest 2. Youngest, the iPad kid, loves it. Job simulator is a massive hit. Haven’t dared tell her Roblox is available yet lol.

Alkhen

I’ve got a quest 2. Youngest, the iPad kid, loves it. Job simulator is a massive hit. Haven’t dared tell her Roblox is available yet lol.
My kids loved Job Simulator on the PSVR, hours of fun on that. Literally the only game they played for more than 10 mins.

Actually considering a meta quest as the PSVR is such a faff to set up and requires loads of space.

shmmeee

My kids loved Job Simulator on the PSVR, hours of fun on that. Literally the only game they played for more than 10 mins.

Actually considering a meta quest as the PSVR is such a faff to set up and requires loads of space.

Yeah mr PSVR broke that’s why I no it the quest

RegTheDonk

Had the Quest 2 for nearly 2 years now, play it quite often ... usually virtually with my lad or one of the grandkids, who have their own.

My grandaughter borrowed mine for a while and used it a lot, mainly in kids type apps like Rec Room, VR Chat or Meta Quest Horizons. Plenty of kids doing kids things there, but obviously tell her to watch who she friends, you never know. Suggest you also look at Sidequest VR and see what would be suitable for her ... it lists things available to download via your Quest account, but not necessarily listed in the Quest store if that makes sense.

As an adults I find it a lot of fun and multi or PvP is very engaging. Pavlov is a decent shooter; 11 is a very responsive table tennis game; and somone like you who works out, there's plenty of fitness progs to try. IB Cricket is pretty good and once they finally update it so you can bowl as well as bat in a match, pretty sure it'll be a big seller. VRFS is a free, multi-player football game available from the "App Lab" which is great fun though difficult to get to grips with. Amazingly, when you speak and everyone realises you're an old fart, they flock around and want to help you rather than take the piss. Sorry though Nick, unfortunately you can't two foot anyone from behind.

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

Think you can also use other Meta/Facebook apps to register like Instagram.

You can watch normal YouTube through the built in browser, but there's also a YouTube VR app ... a bit limited for the amount of content IMHO but has some nice panoramas.

You can link it to a PC which is handy for charging*, though you are a bit limited to playing PC games that are compatible (and don't involving standing up as the cable can get in the way). Flying Fokker would probably love the flight sim games and Elite Dangerous, though not a great game, is very immersive visually. A cable is very handy for charging up while you play but the official usb cable is bloody expensive ... however, but you can get a decent one from Amazon for about £20.

* Fully charged, my Quest runs for about 1.5 hours until the battery is drained. However, a good investment was a BoBoVR kit where you can stick on an external battery if you run out. The headset is a lot more comfortable that the one that comes with the actual Quest too.

RegTheDonk

They have recently released a Roblox app, but it's a bit laggy apparently. Grandaughter tried it but reckons the Xbox runs a lot better. It's free so nothing ventured etc.

Nick

Administrator
Thanks for the helpful stuff @RegTheDonk

Argos have a Black Friday offer with a £50 gift card when ordering so going to go for one! Just the 2 for now but if she gets use out of it will look at a 3 next year!

SkyBlueCharlie9

Kids have had one for about 2-3 years when in lockdown. They still use it a lot. Some of the games are great and the graphics on the Stars Wars one with fighters flying over is incredible and like you are actually in a film. However would advise researching games before buying as some graphics are very cartoonish and a bit naff.
Downsides my kids have knocked stuff off mantlepiece as they loose orientation. In some games when you virtually move about, I get motion sickness feeling very quickly.....but I'm an old git and kids don't seem to suffer! Not sure whether the headsets and screens impact on kids eyesight/health but hopefully Meta etc will pay me for my kids being guinea pigs !

Kids have had one for about 2-3 years when in lockdown. They still use it a lot. Some of the games are great and the graphics on the Stars Wars one with fighters flying over is incredible and like you are actually in a film. However would advise researching games before buying as some graphics are very cartoonish and a bit naff.
Downsides my kids have knocked stuff off mantlepiece as they loose orientation. In some games when you virtually move about, I get motion sickness feeling very quickly.....but I'm an old git and kids don't seem to suffer! Not sure whether the headsets and screens impact on kids eyesight/health but hopefully Meta etc will pay me for my kids being guinea pigs !
Definitely seems to affect some people more than others. I'm ok, but Mrs who couldn't even hack the basic 3d gogs in the cinema would paint the room with vomit :LOL:

Alkhen

Thanks for the helpful stuff @RegTheDonk

Argos have a Black Friday offer with a £50 gift card when ordering so going to go for one! Just the 2 for now but if she gets use out of it will look at a 3 next year!
I just followed suite on that Argos deal for my kids Xmas present. Mainly because the PSVR is such a ballache to set up!

Bit shite the small print says the £50 voucher is only redeemable in a window during early Jan. Will have to set a reminder to do that. Bet they do it like that in the hope people forget!

On a side note looks like you can now set up quests without FB just using their meta quest app.

Will be keeping my eyes peeled for meta store vouchers on offer over the next month or so. Of anyone spots any deals let me know 👍

Nick

Administrator
I just followed suite on that Argos deal for my kids Xmas present. Mainly because the PSVR is such a ballache to set up!

Bit shite the small print says the £50 voucher is only redeemable in a window during early Jan. Will have to set a reminder to do that. Bet they do it like that in the hope people forget!

On a side note looks like you can now set up quests without FB just using their meta quest app.

Will be keeping my eyes peeled for meta store vouchers on offer over the next month or so. Of anyone spots any deals let me know 👍

Yeah have to apply in January, pain in the arse but I've set a calendar reminder with the link in!

wingy

I got a free telly the other day at least it appeared to be from curry's but I already have that model.

Alkhen

She's used it about 5 times 😂😂
Mine use there's a lot but only seem arsed with about 4 games, all of which they had on PSVR 🤷

Oh well saves me dealing with wires and crap.

They do seem hyped for the Taskmaster VR game that is released soon so that's something.

Hope you remembered to redeem your Argos voucher? Mine is spent already

ProfessorbyGrace

I’d be genuinely interested if anyone has had a mishap with Quest 2, like the guy on YouTube who literally dived into his 50 inch TV like a flying squirrel, whilst playing it.

• Haha
Reactions: vow

Nick

Administrator
Mine use there's a lot but only seem arsed with about 4 games, all of which they had on PSVR 🤷

Oh well saves me dealing with wires and crap.

They do seem hyped for the Taskmaster VR game that is released soon so that's something.

Hope you remembered to redeem your Argos voucher? Mine is spent already

Yeah I used that :)

Oh she did mention she wanted an escape room game but if there's taskmaster she will love that!

Users who are viewing this thread