Message From Our Tony (not the mad one on here) (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

But this is potentially the start of something new though, isn't it? Things have been shit for years but could this not finally be our time? Getting a manager like Mowbray is a massive step in the right direction. It actually shows Waggott/SISU are thinking long term, despite the length of the initial contract.

The Southampton and Norwich comparisons are spot on, we are similar clubs, with similar fan base sizes. This season is over, we just need to take stock and survive. Next year however...?

I'm not sure you know what irony is.

Or just sit and watch the inevitable, take yourself out of fantasy land mate.

Have you got anything to add what I just wrote about Southampton and Norwich investment whilst in league one compared to us? thought not...

The irony when you slate another user about moaning, jesus wept!

torchomatic

No we don't....yet. Does it mean it won't happen? Look at Bournemouth a few years ago. Or Middlesborough. Just because things are shit now doesn't mean they always will be. And I stick by what I said about moaning. It won't change one thing. You're obviously welcome to carry on.

This is Southamptons reality of League One:

We come no where near it!

skybluebeduff

I'd love it to be a start of something new, wouldn't we all, but I don't trust SISU, and I don't know anyone who does. That is all.

Next season is not next year, it's this August, and by then we'd have been through another court case, only have 11 contracted players who are mainly youth, so forgive someone who doesn't see any long term progress by the wankers who are SISU.

Sky Blue Dal

No we don't....yet. Does it mean it won't happen? Look at Bournemouth a few years ago. Or Middlesborough. Just because things are shit now doesn't mean they always will be. And I stick by what I said about moaning. It won't change one thing. You're obviously welcome to carry on.

I don't thnk he is moaning.. more like a reality check!!

skybluebeduff

Heard the "we'll invest in the squad by SISU" before, still waiting...

My point stands, we shouldn't be compared to Southampton or Norwich... it's delusional.

torchomatic

LB87ccfc

We will not bear the fruits of Mowbrays work inside a few days guys, do not expect massive improvements Saturday as he would of only had a couple of days on the training field.

We may see more confidence installed in the players and a bit of fire to get them going, but in terms of free flowing passing football right now.. forget it.

Only will we start to see style of play improvements will be in the next week or so, but lets just hope we can pick up results and not all out free flowing football for now..

Sky Blue Kid

Exactly what I thought! Though it was a good appointment by the club, I am just not as excited as many are here about TM bringing success to the club. The underlying problem we have is still there in SISU. I can't see them investing in our club.
My sentiments exactly mate.

torchomatic

No one trusts SISU. No one likes SISU. But that's not the fault of TM, or the fans, or the players, or the club. Again, saying "oh, it will be shit" won't help either. And yes, nor will "but everything will be great". I'm not saying it will, but I put my faith in our new manager to achieve something and in doing so persuade them to invest and get us up the league and eventually out of it. After all, SISU will only make a profit if we are successful.

Anyway, rant over. Each to their own, but personally looking forward to going on Saturday. PUSB and all that.

I'd love it to be a start of something new, wouldn't we all, but I don't trust SISU, and I don't know anyone who does. That is all.

Next season is not next year, it's this August, and by then we'd have been through another court case, only have 11 contracted players who are mainly youth, so forgive someone who doesn't see any long term progress by the wankers who are SISU.

skybluebeduff

We will not bear the fruits of Mowbrays work inside a few days guys, do not expect massive improvements Saturday as he would of only had a couple of days on the training field.

We may see more confidence installed in the players and a bit of fire to get them going, but in terms of free flowing passing football right now.. forget it.

Only will we start to see style of play improvements will be in the next week or so, but lets just hope we can pick up results and not all out free flowing football for now..

If he gets the wins we need, i wouldn't care if we resorted to hoofball, sideways or whatever, as long as we stay up. Then... I can start to believe a little more, this relegation battle and then the up and coming summer court events will define CCFC one way or another.

torchomatic

Yes, we have, fair enough. But delusional? I don't think so. When both clubs were at rock bottom their fans rallied and didn't give up. Look at them now.

If you don't believe then what's the point of carrying on? In my 43 years of support I've had one great season and a few exciting ones. If I didn't believe we could achieve that again then I could just give up, couldn't I? But, I won't because I believe I will one day see us back where I hope we'll stay.

Heard the "we'll invest in the squad by SISU" before, still waiting...

My point stands, we shouldn't be compared to Southampton or Norwich... it's delusional.

Both decent blokes I agree, but there the similarity ends. Mowbray is a touch cookie, an experienced manager with serious gravitas, who won't be a yes man. He'll take no nonsense from sisu...and can teach them a thing or two about football, and what it's like to be genuinely passionate about something. The sky's are definitely bluer with his arrival...

He certainly looks a tough nut !!

Sky Blue Kid

But this is potentially the start of something new though, isn't it? Things have been shit for years but could this not finally be our time? Getting a manager like Mowbray is a massive step in the right direction. It actually shows Waggott/SISU are thinking long term, despite the length of the initial contract. The Southampton and Norwich comparisons are spot on, we are similar clubs, with similar fan base sizes. This season is over, we just need to take stock and survive. Next year however...? I'm not sure you know what irony is.
On the contrary, this screams "Short Term" If SISU/Otium/Waggott were thinking "Long Term" They wouldn't have settled with a "Short Term Contract" TM has now got 13 games to turn CCFC around, now I'm sorry to piss on your chips mate, but this is going to be one hell of a massive last 13 games to stay in this league, let alone get to mid table safety.

torchomatic

Fair enough, SBK. We see things different.

On the contrary, this screams "Short Term" If SISU/Otium/Waggott were thinking "Long Term" They wouldn't have settled with a "Short Term Contract" TM has now got 13 games to turn CCFC around, now I'm sorry to piss on your chips mate, but this is going to be one hell of a massive last 13 games to stay in this league, let alone get to mid table safety.

hill83

If it all goes tits up this thread will be bumped with laughs all round at how deluded he is/was. I like what he is saying but anyone can come up with something like that. So unfortunately I'm not getting too excited about it until I see some actual improvement on the pitch and some investment put into the team. It's all been seen before.

Nice start though.

torchomatic

SkyBlueSid

My thoughts exactly. Mowbray looks to be a good choice but he is only here for two months to see if he can start to dig us out of a desperate situation. If we avoid relegation, that's just the start. I think some people forget just how low this club has sunk over the last few years.

For some fans to be shouting from the rooftops about a 'new dawn' shows how football can get you. Us older fans may be more cynical. That's because we have seen one new dawn after another, always with the same result. Coventry City always disappoint in the end, and one short term appointment is just too soon to get our hopes up.

I sincerely wish Mowbray all the luck in the world. Working with our appalling owners he is going to need it. And it is a long haul ahead to convince the fans, even those who still go to games, that a corner has been turned.

Monners

I am going to take a few week soff from slagging the owners off. The point fromTM's MLK style speech is gthat we are simlar in size and history to the likes of Saints and Naaarwich, with an inference that we should follow a similar ownership/strategic model, as it has proved to be succesful (spectualrly so in Saints case).

Lets hope we stay and then see what happens in the summer. (I may start slagging the owners off again, and with justification).

rupert_bear

The only thing that matters Saturday is 3 points, don't care if it's our worst performance of the season, and there's been some bad ones, just win.

Sky Blue Kid

Fair enough, SBK. We see things different.
I truly am not being pedantic here mate, but I along with a lot of others fail to see how a "Short Term Contract" can possibly be a "Long Term Vision" by SISU/Otium/Waggott? please expand on your thoughts.

hill83

The only thing that matters Saturday is 3 points, don't care if it's our worst performance of the season, and there's been some bad ones, just win.

That's my thoughts on every single game except cup games.

hill83

I truly am not being pedantic here mate, but I along with a lot of others fail to see how a "Short Term Contract" can possibly be a "Long Term Vision" by SISU/Otium/Waggott? please expand on your thoughts.

I'd guess the long term vision would be signing him on a longer contract if we stay up. The long term vision seems to be having Mowbray as manager, and if that temporarily means a short term contract rather than nothing, that is long term vision isn't it? Or at least the beginnings of it.

torchomatic

My guess is if he keeps us up, he stays. If he doesn't then he's off without having to pay up a big contract like the four year one SP had. Testing the water on both sides, I guess. Obviously, I would rather have had a longer contract but I'd rather have Mowbray for the short term (and then hopefully longer) than another manager we didn't want on a longer contact from the off.

Obviously, we'll see how it goes, but I've confident he's a good enough manager/motivator to pull us out of the mire.

Monners

He has given his opinion on what the club could and should be - that isn't a vision, but his view. I would be worried if he said anyting else, and he chose to use two obvious clubs that we have been compared with in the past on many occasions. He did also say that it's about keeping the club up in L1 this season - this is his remit as far as his contract is concerned.

Lets batten down the hatches for the next 13 games, and reconvene in the summer (please :()

Sky Blue Kid

I'd guess the long term vision would be signing him on a longer contract if we stay up. The long term vision seems to be having Mowbray as manager, and if that temporarily means a short term contract rather than nothing, that is long term vision isn't it? Or at least the beginnings of it.
I personally think that if SISU had gone for a (Let's say for arguments sake) 18 months contract with a "Parting of the ways, no penalty clause" It would definately show a good intent on their behalf. Lets face it, if TM does very well and gets us well away from the danger zone, he's going to be headhunted by teams who will pay him far better wages than SISU/Otium will ever think about paying. Just my opinion obviously.

hill83

I personally think that if SISU had gone for a (Let's say for arguments sake) 18 months contract with a "Parting of the ways, no penalty clause" It would definately show a good intent on their behalf. Lets face it, if TM does very well and gets us well away from the danger zone, he's going to be headhunted by teams who will pay him far better wages than SISU/Otium will ever think about paying. Just my opinion obviously.

Can't disagree. As has been said before it could be Mowbrays decision too, for the exact reason you state.

torchomatic

You could be right. However, it does seem that the decision was mutual. I certainly don't get the impression that it was solely SISUs or Waggott's decision.

ajsccfc

One slight redeeming thing about the weeny contract is that we've got a manager who is enough of a coup that he can call the shots. It could easily backfire on us, but I'm still pleasantly surprised he even considered a team peering at League Two.

skybluebeduff

Lets batten down the hatches for the next 13 games, and reconvene in the summer (please :()

Very hard to disagree with that. Nothing we can do anyway but support the lads and Mowbray in these final games. I don't think I could handle another relegation, I don't even want to think about it, which is near impossible anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread