Meet CCFC Supremo Chris Anderson On Monday Night (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

I like what CA had to say on the whole. Didn't shy away from the mistakes of the past and was keen to say that they won't happen again which was the biggest thing for me. Let's hope he proves to be a man of his word.

Although I understand and accept what he had to say on the Madison transfer I still think we pissed on our chips. At the end of the day he isn't a player that owes us a transfer fee or years of silly wages. Yes there's his development costs to consider but them costs are part of the bigger picture of the academy. In other words we'd still have them costs with or without James Madison so how much of a gamble would it have been to wait until the summer? Certainly I feel we've lost more than we've gained from the initial payment if not the add on's. I suspect that if we'd held out to summer Norwich wouldn't have been in the frame as they couldn't/wouldn't have matched what others would be willing to gamble. For that reason alone it was a good piece of business by Norwich and for that reason it can only be bad business for us.

shmmeee

The club doesn't make much money so has to rely on producing and selling on young players to survive, just like the majority of clubs at our level. What's so difficult to understand.

Do we though? Weren't we supposed to be self sustaining and not loss making any more?

Grendel

Do we though? Weren't we supposed to be self sustaining and not loss making any more?

That includes selling developing players to fund subsequent year budgets.

Moff

I like what CA had to say on the whole. Didn't shy away from the mistakes of the past and was keen to say that they won't happen again which was the biggest thing for me. Let's hope he proves to be a man of his word.

Although I understand and accept what he had to say on the Madison transfer I still think we pissed on our chips. At the end of the day he isn't a player that owes us a transfer fee or years of silly wages. Yes there's his development costs to consider but them costs are part of the bigger picture of the academy. In other words we'd still have them costs with or without James Madison so how much of a gamble would it have been to wait until the summer? Certainly I feel we've lost more than we've gained from the initial payment if not the add on's. I suspect that if we'd held out to summer Norwich wouldn't have been in the frame as they couldn't/wouldn't have matched what others would be willing to gamble. For that reason alone it was a good piece of business by Norwich and for that reason it can only be bad business for us.

All fair points Tony, but I guess there is always the risk factor of an injury. Having seen Maddison be out for a quarter of a season, I guess the club looked at the potential of it happening again or not, and based on the details of the sale, which we will never know, decided it was the right move.

As Anderson said, JM is now set for life, so good luck to him!

shmmeee

Ah, a business plan up there with the underpants gnomes.

Seriously, you can't budget based on "hope that 11 year old turns out good".

That's like saying my budget is balanced, once you take into account my lottery winnings I'm bound to get.

torchomatic

Which is why we sold Maddison.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Which is why we sold Maddison.

You lost me.

We aren't losing money, so we had to sell Maddison?

What?

Let me put this another way. Had Madders not come good, or broken his leg, or whatever. Are you saying we'd be in admin this summer?

torchomatic

You lost me.

What?

Let me put this another way. Had Madders not come good, or broken his leg, or whatever. Are you saying we'd be in admin this summer?
Self sustaining.

shmmeee

Self sustaining.

Yeah, you're going to have to break out the full sentences I'm afraid.

I'll ask again, are you saying that had Maddison's injury been serious the club would have been out of business this summer as no more money is coming from Sisu?

Tangental: How does this tally with the idea that we didn't have to sell and it was about strengthening the team, not sustaining it?

Grendel

Ah, a business plan up there with the underpants gnomes.

Seriously, you can't budget based on "hope that 11 year old turns out good".

That's like saying my budget is balanced, once you take into account my lottery winnings I'm bound to get.

No a business plan like every other club outside the championship - other than Wigan.

Moff

You lost me.

What?

But surely to run the club incurs bills and costs, which if we are self sustaining we can pay, but then when we want to keep someone like Armstrong or TM wats to bring in another player or loan, then we need extra revenue for the budget from somewhere, and sadly this is where a club like ours will make it.

shmmeee

But surely to run the club incurs bills and costs, which if we are self sustaining we can pay, but then when we want to keep someone like Armstrong or TM wats to bring in another player or loan, then we need extra revenue for the budget from somewhere, and sadly this is where a club like ours will make it.

Mowbray was saying as recently as 21st January that as far as he was aware we had no need to sell.

This leaves two options:

1) Our budgeting was so poor that despite increasing crowds roughly 40%, we were short of cash.
2) Mowbray was lied to.

Neither of which fill me with confidence in our leadership team.

torchomatic

Yeah, you're going to have to break out the full sentences I'm afraid.

I'll ask again, are you saying that had Maddison's injury been serious the club would have been out of business this summer as no more money is coming from Sisu?

Tangental: How does this tally with the idea that we didn't have to sell and it was about strengthening the team, not sustaining it?
Sorry you'll have to help me out here. Where did i mention anything about going into administration?

Im saying selling players is part of being a club that runs itself. We're not going to go far on small crowds and little revenue.

Samo

Does it? They budget for an unknown figure?
If we are in the black above 11k any large incoming transfer fee is surely over and above that (given that you never know for sure if it's coming or when) and theoretically could be reinvested in the squad on top of the intended budget.

Last edited:

stupot07

Mowbray was saying as recently as 21st January that as far as he was aware we had no need to sell.

This leaves two options:

1) Our budgeting was so poor that despite increasing crowds roughly 40%, we were short of cash.
2) Mowbray was lied to.

Didn't Anderson say in the interviews after the sale of Maddison that the sale was more about next season and the season after rather than a funding gap this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Moff

This leaves two options:

2) Mowbray was lied to.

Lets be honest none of us have ever been confident in our leadership team. We will also never know the truth, and until we get new owners will never get the transparency that us the fans deserve.

I guess now I just hope for success this season, holding our own in the Championship and then some mad fool buying the club, and ridding us of SISU. Until then our next Maddison, and then our next, and so forth will be Norwich or whoever elses fodder.

torchomatic

Didn't Anderson say in the interviews after the sale of Maddison that the sale was more about next season and the season after rather than a funding gap this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
He said exactly that. It's not just to buy player x or y but to keep the club going.

Chipfat

The club doesn't make much money so has to rely on producing and selling on young players to survive, just like the majority of clubs at our level. What's so difficult to understand.

I understand that and i understandd it very well, my point however is in the statement after, we are building a foundation and the club will be better in the future for it!!!. That i dont agree with.

I posted a few years ago as a club you set a stall out of what and where you want to go, plan and try to deliver, if you want to be Crewe thats fine, if you are acting like crewe but pretending you are after promotion and the prem then im not fooled.

Chipfat

Chipfat it's a buyers market mate, a player wants to go and more importantly for career reasons wants to go to Norwich, they have dosh we don't a fact. Yesterday a report in the papers said the average wage in the Prem is £1.7 million a year, just over £30k a week, the championship average is £320k a year just over £6000 a week, division 1 lower again. How the hell are we going to stop a young player going from perhaps £2k a week to over £30k a week

I understand that, im not saying we can compete with a prem club, i understand how it work's with players as i have worked with agents and players. I just do not believe the timing or the statements are right. The player wanted to see the season out, the manager wanted the player at the club, the owners wanted to cash in other than wait the season's outcome. They will tell you its for the best and its for the future!!! im sorry i dont buy it.

As for Maddison fair play to him i wish him well and for the sake of our club hope he does well.

dongonzalos

Self sustaining.

Must say I thought we were self sustaining without selling anyone.
Selling someone would lead to money on top? I also thought the 60p in the £1.00 was in relation to FFP. That a cash injection from players dskes was exempt from that.
So if we were self sustaining prior to the Maddison sale then 2.5 million would be added to the budget next season. However that doesn't have to be spent on players it could be spent on sharing the shop at the ricoh or another way of getting a better ticketing situation for example. It could be spent on media campaigns, fantastic ticket offers, community projects.
As long as it is spent on making the club better then so be it.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

The bit I am really relieved about is he said that it is not the case that this model falls down if we get to the championship.
So if we can agree a long term deal at the Ricoh not only will our future be secured but we also don't have to face instant relegation or financial ruin.
We will not have one of the poorest budgets as it stands. I also feel if he secures longer term to the Ricoh he will get us an even better deal than we have now.
However to mount a challenge we would need a madfison or Wilson getting sold for 7-10 million unfortunately.

Last edited:

Moff

The bit I am really relieved about is he said that it is not the case that this model falls down if we get to the championship.
So if we can agree a long term feral at the Ricoh not only will our future be secured but we also don't have to face instant rekegation it financial ruin.
We will not have one if the poorest budgets as it stands. I also feel if he secures longer term to the Ricoh he will get us an even better deal than we have now.
However to mount a challenge we would need a madfison or Wilson getting sold for 7-10 million unfortunately.

Long term feral? ;)

idm1975

Sorry you'll have to help me out here. Where did i mention anything about going into administration?

Im saying selling players is part of being a club that runs itself. We're not going to go far on small crowds and little revenue.

Its also about getting market value for an in demand player, this i dont think was achieved....short term a cpl mill in someone's bank....long term another player sold to cheap and too soon.

covcity4life

The only way the Maddison deal can be seen as a good idea is if thr signings of Stephens and Cargill were dependent on it.

Even then we need to get promoted to make it worthwhile as we have been top 6 all season without thrm anyway

torchomatic

How many times? Anderson said the money was for the CLUB not "someone's bank". Whether that means money for new players, for loans, for keeping a club our size going then so be it. We don't have massive crowds. We don't have access to loads of revenue from other sources. Because of our situation then we will probably always have to sell to supplement our income.

This is exactly why NOPM is shit.

short term a cpl mill in someone's bank....long term another player sold to cheap and too soon.

Nick

Administrator
Its also about getting market value for an in demand player, this i dont think was achieved....short term a cpl mill in someone's bank....long term another player sold to cheap and too soon.
Who's pocketed the money then?

stupot07

So if we can agree a long term feral at the Ricoh not only will our future be secured but we also don't have to face instant rekegation it financial ruin.
We will not have one if the poorest budgets as it stands. I also feel if he secures longer term to the Ricoh he will get us an even better deal than we have now.

I don't believe what he said about the championship. One one hand he's saying only Millwall are more reliant on ticket sales than we are in league one but if we get in the championship everything will be a.o.k. We know from the last few accounts that our turnover was one of the lowest 3-4 in the league, this deal at the Ricoh doesn't particularly change that fact.

covcity4life

I don't believe what he said about the championship. One one hand he's saying only Millwall are more reliant on ticket sales than we are in league one but if we get in the championship everything will be a.o.k. We know from the last few accounts that our turnover was one of the lowest 3-4 in the league, this deal at the Ricoh doesn't particularly change that fact.

Lol.I don't care what he said i will ignore it and be negative.

torchomatic

LOL. Out of 168 posts he quotes one from Stu. What were the chances of that?

Lol.I don't care what he said i will ignore it and be negative.

Users who are viewing this thread