Matty Godden (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Fuck me. And i get told i talk bollocks

Without Godden we're bottom with 1 point

Wanting to drop the keague top scorer as hes 'in the way' of a man with 0 goals and assists in 7 id the most retarded view i think I've ever heard

shmmeee

Wanting to drop the keague top scorer as hes 'in the way' of a man with 0 goals and assists in 7 id the most retarded view i think I've ever heard

Why do you think in 7 games not even a goals worth of chances have fell to anyone else?

No one is advocating dropping him now. He’s clearly scoring. But I think there’s evidence that’s hiding a bigger issue with our team.

Tommo1993

I can concede Godden isn’t as much of a nuisance as he was in L1, for defenders. But he’s still easily fulfilling his job description - this can’t be denied, as much as you weird folk are trying so hard to.

Simms should be starting alongside Godden on Monday, I won’t be very happy otherwise. Wright has been miles from good enough and should be dropped.

Deity

I don’t rate Godden as highly as others but I agree you can’t drop him currently.

The logic that we would have 1 point without him is bolllcks. Someone else would have played and probably scored, maybe less, maybe more, but to suggest that you just remove the goals is clearly illogical.

Legia Sky Blue

Just to trigger Evo some more: Godden hasn’t even hit his xG this season, so even on his own terms isn’t performing particularly brilliantly.

When Godden plays the whole team is set up to get him chances, everyone else plays in service to that. Wright and Simms don’t have an xG of 2 between them. Goddens is nearly 9! It’s not like he It’s not like he’s been finishing hard chances and they’ve been missing sitters.

Your lack of appreciation of what makes a good goalscorer continues to astound me, along with your view that Godden only scores tap ins. I presume you think Godden is just lucky in being in a position to score those tap ins. The reality however is that Godden is an instinctive goalscorer who knows how to buy a yard of space to score those tap ins. Like with other players of that ilk, that also inevitably involves missing chances too (Andy Cole missed tons of chances but was always a top scorer). Wright and Simms have not yet shown they have that same instinct, and the fact that their combined xG of under 2 goals, as opposed to Godden's 9 in the same period demonstrates that aptly. I would much rather have a striker in the team who gets in a position to score 8 goals in a 7 match period than alternatives getting in a position to score only 1 goal.

DrPoolittle

As a compromise to keep everyone happy, Godden could play as wing back.

That way Godden botherers get to see him on the pitch. And Godden deniers get to see Simms and Wright up front.

Deity

Your lack of appreciation of what makes a good goalscorer continues to astound me, along with your view that Godden only scores tap ins. I presume you think Godden is just lucky in being in a position to score those tap ins. The reality however is that Godden is an instinctive goalscorer who knows how to buy a yard of space to score those tap ins. Like with other players of that ilk, that also inevitably involves missing chances too (Andy Cole missed tons of chances but was always a top scorer). Wright and Simms have not yet shown they have that same instinct, and the fact that their combined xG of under 2 goals, as opposed to Godden's 9 in the same period demonstrates that aptly. I would much rather have a striker in the team who gets in a position to score 8 goals in a 7 match period than alternatives getting in a position to score only 1 goal.
I don’t think fans are critical of Goddens movement or instincts. It’s the fact that he contributes next to nothing to the general play which makes it easy for teams to defend against us.

We saw it last season when teams doubled up on Vik at the end of the season safe in the knowledge that Godden couldn’t run away from them, dribble past them, etc.

The comparisons to Cole are flawed because he had great pace, could run away from defenders and did therefore provide a threat. Ferguson rarely started OGS because he didn’t contribute enough to the team. A brilliant super sub.

I think Godden deserves his place in the team because of his goals but it’s a reasonable concern of fans to worry about his broader contribution to the team.

skybluecam

How do you work that one out? Godden’s goals have only gained us 2 points, we’d be on 5 without them.

stevefloyd

Biggest load of crap I've read on this forum this week. We're not winning games because our midfield is shite full stop.
Have to agree on this point, we have at the minute a midfield that would struggle to be effective in league 1 let alone push for promotion in the championship! Also think the midfield are contributing to goals conceded too.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Just to trigger Evo some more: Godden hasn’t even hit his xG this season, so even on his own terms isn’t performing particularly brilliantly.

When Godden plays the whole team is set up to get him chances, everyone else plays in service to that. Wright and Simms don’t have an xG of 2 between them. Goddens is nearly 9! It’s not like he’s been finishing hard chances and they’ve been missing sitters.
You don't trigger me , you've just moved into the category of the " don't know anything about football " fan in my head
Screenshot_20230924_095044_Chrome.jpg

Grendel

I’ve even seen godden compared to Haaland - that’s up there with Chris Hussey as our Gareth Bale

Evo1883

I’ve even seen godden compared to Haaland - that’s up there with Chris Hussey as our Gareth Bale

Obviously godden isn't haaland , but as an example he scores 3 against Fulham with 17 touches , I don't care how many touches the lad has but many coventry fans keep refereeing goddens touches in match even when he scores ..

I'm sure the conversation in Manchester isn't

" when he doesn't score he does nothing "

I guess that's because he scores in 80%/90% of his matches

It's a stupid argument to have for a striker

Legia Sky Blue

How do you work that one out? Godden’s goals have only gained us 2 points, we’d be on 5 without them.

We'd actually be on 4 points if you took out his goals. If you also took out his contribution in assists in the Middlesbrough game then we'd actually only be on 2 points, and would then be at the bottom with Sheff Wed.

harvey098

Oh Harvey I believe it was a comment in one game against Lincoln and it wasn’t even that was it? As for Max vs Victor let’s look what really happened

Haha yeah that was a shocker from me and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Vik was one of our greatest signings in decades

Grendel

Haha yeah that was a shocker from me and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Vik was one of our greatest signings in decades

You should use it at the Edinburgh festival

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I find it strange some people want to drop our top scorer to play 2 players who are finding their feet in a new team.IMO Mark will decide who the player to partner him in different games.I see people saying he contributes nothing other than score love to know stats. on ground covered by him in games in trying to win the ball back as opposed to the new players my be wrong but I think that is one of the lessons they can learn from him.

procdoc

Are other clubs fans this thick or just ours? Let’s find a way of getting our top scorer out of the team, genius idea lads

skybluecam

We'd actually be on 4 points if you took out his goals. If you also took out his contribution in assists in the Middlesbrough game then we'd actually only be on 2 points, and would then be at the bottom with Sheff Wed.
How do you work that out?
We’d still have beat Boro and drawn against Sunderland and Hull. That’s 5 points.

Skyblueweeman

When Monday comes what’s the difference between PVA and Grendel

One is at the game. The other is sitting listening to Rob gurney and looking at some boring stats website and pictures of Kasey palmer

I’ll leave the forum to work out which is which
Please don't use the 'I go to games so my opinion is superior to yours' bullshit. That's been covered countless times on here.

People who don't go to games (hi) are entitled to an opinion and it can be as well formed as someone who goes to games regularly. I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty on here who don't go to games regularly who have decent opinions on players/team/formation and it's not questioned.

shmmeee

Please don't use the 'I go to games so my opinion is superior to yours' bullshit. That's been covered countless times on here.

People who don't go to games (hi) are entitled to an opinion and it can be as well formed as someone who goes to games regularly. I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty on here who don't go to games regularly who have decent opinions on players/team/formation and it's not questioned.

Also some* of us go to games and haven’t a fucking clue what we’re on about.

*most

Adge

Fair-but If you haven’t been to or seen a particular game your opinion regarding the content etc of that game wouldn’t really be valid would it? 🤔

Skyblueweeman

Fair-but If you haven’t been to or seen a particular game your opinion regarding the content etc of that game wouldn’t really be valid would it? 🤔
It would. And as CVD says, you might not necessarily see the whole pitch 100% of the time, but you can more than make an informed opinion on a game, even if you're not there.

You can also make judgements based on feedback, from reports, from peoples commentary on here etc. Not 100% perfect granted but it p*sses me off when people (and it's not just G, others have said it before) think that non-attendance invalidates opinions or makes your input less relevant.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I actually think watching at home can sometimes give you a better view.
Where it really falls down is watching running and work off the ball
I think it's a mixture of both. You get a better view of most the game on TV. Sometimes you see movement/runs of players in real life that you can't see on TV. I think its perfectly fine for both sets to have an opinion. If someone isn't watching full games via TV, stream, being at the ground, I would find it hard to consider their opinion as valid however.

Legia Sky Blue

How do you work that out?
We’d still have beat Boro and drawn against Sunderland and Hull. That’s 5 points.

Sorry I forgot about Hull. Against Boro he scored one and assisted the other 2 though so by definition his contributions gained us an extra 2 points from that game. So 3 points!

Greggs

Been told to find a new club, apparently. I wonder what has gone on?

Users who are viewing this thread