Matchday #9 Coventry City v Doncaster Rovers (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Coventry City v Doncaster Rovers - Tuesday 28th September (Kick off 7:45pm)

Coventry City : Marlon King is expected to start alongside jutkiewicz or Platt. Lee Carsley will most likely be rested. Tuesday night game so don't expect a good attendance :(

Played 8 Points 11.

Doncaster Rovers : Doncaster Rovers are known for there fluent passing football with manager Sean O'driscoll who spent 1.5m on Billy Sharp (Club Record Signing) Doncaster last won in Coventry on November 10th 1951.

Played 8 Points 12

Referee: Andy Penn (The game will be his first Coventry City league match at the Ricoh Arena)

My Predictions

Attendance: 13,976

Score: 1-0 (Marlon King)

Formation:

K.Westwood
R.Keoght B.Turner R.Wood Crainey
Ward Doyle Gunnarson McSheffrey
King Platt

Any match related banter or predictions please post.

Last edited:

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
I mostly agree with the formation with the exception of Doyle...I'm not a big fan...

I'm gonna (optimistically) go for 3-1 :eek:

smileycov

Facebook User
yea happy with that, though ithink duke alongside king. shame for plattini but i feel duke is better player

2-1

Pigeon

that formation sounds good to me. Juke upfront. Yeah, i like doyle..he's been good for us since he got back. Would like to see a few more away fans to get a bit of banter going to keep warm lol, why are they so far away?

T

TrevorsathisPeake

If we want to do well this season i see this as a must win game,Satuday against Preston was just typical City,after the win at Bristol City we had 2 very winnable home games coming up,we lost Satuday so thats one of them gone,now we must beat Doncaster to keep up the pace.If we win it'll only be by one goal i think,and a win would give us 6 points from 9,i'd have taken that before the Bristol City game!!! I'd bring Doyle back in alonside Clingan or Carsley as it suits the team better and worked at the beginning of the season,why it was changed i dont know.

Coventry La La La

that formation sounds good to me. Juke upfront. Yeah, i like doyle..he's been good for us since he got back. Would like to see a few more away fans to get a bit of banter going to keep warm lol, why are they so far away?

Probly so they don't have to invest as much into police protection/security... but im sure more fans would turn up with a better atmosphere they should be moved closer.... someone email Ranson :p

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I think we are going to spend a lot of this game chasing the ball around as Doncaster are very good at passing the ball and keeping possession so I think we might need Carsley for the experience. I think Doyle would be a good partner for Carsley in this one to get into Doncaster's faces but at the same time Clingan has been doing well and it would be harsh to drop him. I think Carsley and Gunnarsson in the middle would work well for this game if Gunnarsson can get in Donny's faces.

To be honest I'm not really sure how we are going to line up for this one because there are so many options for a change!

All I know is that it is going to be a hard and frustrating game as Donny will be keeping the ball very well.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Going to go for the same scoreline i went with for at PNE 3-1 Cov, King hatrick! :pimp:

TheSnoz

Think we've gone backwards without Doyle. I know a few people don't rate him but he does add something. He does a job. Gets us the ball. As a few others have said, Doncaster keep possession. So Doyle will nick it off them. MK must start. Moral issues aside, he looked very sharp. But I'd keep Plattini in. Lukas doesn't look like scoring right now.

Coventry La La La

Think we've gone backwards without Doyle. I know a few people don't rate him but he does add something. He does a job. Gets us the ball. As a few others have said, Doncaster keep possession. So Doyle will nick it off them. MK must start. Moral issues aside, he looked very sharp. But I'd keep Plattini in. Lukas doesn't look like scoring right now.

M.Doyle Is class just watch him kick the other players of the ball he unsettles the opposistion :pimp:

ccfcadz

Hi all as I am stuck in bed with man flu and cannot beat anyone's scores in the arcade I have decided to have a stab at a match preview to pass the afternoon.............

The Sky Blues go into thier next game against 10th place Doncaster on the back of the first home deafeat of the season against Preston with goals coming in the first half from Billy Jones & Iain Hume.

In the second half after months of speculation contrevercial sigining Marlon King was brought on to replace Carl Baker in the 53rd Minute. Aron Gunarsson managed to claim a goal back for the city in the 60th Minute but in a game which saw the city have 22 shots on goal they were unable to find the net in a way the referee found acceptable, the score-line remained giving Preston thier 2nd win of the season and leaving City 13th in the table.

Team news:

Aidy boothroyd isnt expected to make any significant changes with no new injury concerns Marlon King is expected to make his first start after impressing both manager and fans, alongside Clive Paltt or Lucas Jucetwicz

The Opposition

Doncaster suffered defeat for the first time in five games when they lost 3-0 to 3 second half goals at Queens Park Rangers on Saturday. It was the second successive game in which they had failed to score they are coming to coventry seeking their 400th Win on the road.

O'Driscoll has hinted he may make changes for tonights game. Doncaster are also boosted by the return to fitness of James Hayter who made a substitute appearance on Saturday

O'Driscoll on the Sky Blues

"The way they play their two centre-backs (Wood and Turner) are key because they come up for everything, and Gunnarsson with his long throws puts the ball in the box. The two front lads, Platt and Jutkiewicz have been doing well. They are a big team and they've got two experienced midfield players in Carsley and Sammy Clingan, so they've got a nice balance."

Boothroyd on the Rovers

"Doncaster will be a difficult game, they are a good footballing side who try to play out from the back and we'll have to counter that. It's going to be a 16/17-man squad and everybody's got a role to play."

Head-to-Head
Coentry and Doncaster have played 14 times in the league with both sides having won 5 and drawing 4

The Sky Blues came out on top the last time, City scoring an 85th minute penalty courtesy of Clinton Morrison after Gary Madine was hauled down in the area on Boxing Day 2009.

Last five fixtures:

Coventry City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 26/12/2009
Doncaster Rovers 0 Coventry City 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 18/08/2009
Coventry City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 21/03/2009
Doncaster Rovers 1 Coventry City 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 30/08/2008
Doncaster Rovers 1 Coventry City 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 29/03/1952

Last edited:

Coventry La La La

Hi all as I am stuck in bed with man flu and cannot beat anyone's scores in the arcade I have decided to have a stab at a match preview to pass the afternoon.............

The Sky Blues go into thier next game against 10th place Doncaster on the back of the first home deafeat of the season against Preston with goals coming in the first half from Billy Jones & Iain Hume.

In the second half after months of speculation contrevercial sigining Marlon King was brought on to replace Carl Baker in the 53rd Minute. Aron Gunarsson managed to claim a goal back for the city in the 60th Minute but in a game which saw the city have 22 shots on goal they were unable to find the net in a way the referee found acceptable, the score-line remained giving Preston thier 2nd win of the season and leaving City 13th in the table.

Team news:

Aidy boothroyd isnt expected to make any significant changes with no new injury concerns Marlon King is expected to make his first start after impressing both manager and fans, alongside Clive Paltt or Lucas Jucetwicz

The Opposition

Doncaster suffered defeat for the first time in five games when they lost 3-0 to 3 second half goals at Queens Park Rangers on Saturday. It was the second successive game in which they had failed to score they are coming to coventry seeking their 400th Win on the road.

O'Driscoll has hinted he may make changes for tonights game. Doncaster are also boosted by the return to fitness of James Hayter who made a substitute appearance on Saturday

O'Driscoll on the Sky Blues

"The way they play their two centre-backs (Wood and Turner) are key because they come up for everything, and Gunnarsson with his long throws puts the ball in the box. The two front lads, Platt and Jutkiewicz have been doing well. They are a big team and they've got two experienced midfield players in Carsley and Sammy Clingan, so they've got a nice balance."

Boothroyd on the Rovers

"Doncaster will be a difficult game, they are a good footballing side who try to play out from the back and we'll have to counter that. It's going to be a 16/17-man squad and everybody's got a role to play."

Head-to-Head
Coentry and Doncaster have played 14 times in the league with both sides having won 5 and drawing 4

The Sky Blues came out on top the last time, City scoring an 85th minute penalty courtesy of Clinton Morrison after Gary Madine was hauled down in the area on Boxing Day 2009.

Last five fixtures:

Coventry City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 26/12/2009
Doncaster Rovers 0 Coventry City 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 18/08/2009
Coventry City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 21/03/2009
Doncaster Rovers 1 Coventry City 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 30/08/2008
Doncaster Rovers 1 Coventry City 0, Coca-Cola Championship, 29/03/1952

Thanks for that Adz just a suggestion you could put your headings/titles in Bold/Different colour to brake up different sections of your article but good read, get better soon and enjoy the arcade. :D

ccfcadz

Cheers, my original one did have that but it obviously didnt copy and paste very well!

I will try and write a report on tonights game if I get the chance :D

Coventry La La La

Cheers, my original one did have that but it obviously didnt copy and paste very well!

I will try and write a report on tonights game if I get the chance :D

Good idea I will be at the game but their are plenty of Sky Blues on here from different parts of the world that can't get to the game so im sure they will like a match report :)

antbrin

Facebook User
Tonights team.
Coventry City: Westwood, Keogh, Clingan, Carsley, King, Cranie, Gunnarsson, Turner, Platt, Wood, Ward
Subs: Ireland (GK), Doyle, Jutkiewicz, Baker, McSheffrey, McIndoe, Cameron

smileycov

Facebook User
looking at stats, it's fairly even. they have 51% of the ball though

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Good bit of defending again LMAOOOOOO! :D

ccfcadz

I have never actually written a Match report before so please go easy on me after all we all have our own opinions. I have gone down the individual players route as I find it easier

There has been a few phrases/questions thrown round the Ricoh recently one of them being 'Would you rather win ugly or loose pretty?' Well I can categorically say that in the sapce of three days we have seen the two extremes of this, but in this league you have to take the points and be grateful just looks at Leeds last night!

HOW THEY LINED UP

Coventry
01 Westwood
02 Keogh
15 Cranie
20 Turner
24 Wood
04 Clingan
05 Carsley
17 Gunnarsson
09 King (Jutkiewicz 65)
22 Platt
27 Ward (McSheffrey 61 yellow card)
Substitutes
23 Ireland,
30 Cameron,
08 Doyle,
18 Baker,
21 McIndoe,
11 Jutkiewicz,
19 McSheffrey
Doncaster
01 Sullivan
02 O'Connor
03 Friend
04 Martis (Dumbuya 23)
11 Lockwood
21 Hird
07 Woods
16 Oster (Wilson 85)
26 Coppinger
10 Sharp yellow card
22 Shiels (Stock 70)
Substitutes
33 Woods,
08 Stock,
23 Webster,
15 Wilson,
18 Gillett,
24 Dumbuya,
12 Hayter
Goals

Gunarsson 2
Sharp 43
McSheffrey 86

Booked

McSheffrey
Sharp

Sent off

None

Possession
Coventry 47%
Doncaster 53%
Attempts on target
Coventry 7
Doncaster 12
Attempts off target
Coventry 6
Doncaster 7
Corners
Coventry 5
Doncaster 14
Fouls
Coventry 8
Doncaster 10

Westwood 6/10
Right, I am not really sure where to start with him, I have always said since day one that he is NOT the best keeper outside of the Premier League and I think Andy Lonergans performance on Saturday and Keiran's performance last night were examples of why.
He made some superb saves definatley keeping us in the game ( I am getting abit fed up of saying that) There was one incident in the match that really stood out for me which sums up his Coventry Career was when Westwood and Turner were running to collect the same ball and NEITHER OF THEM called for it and they ran into each other and if Donny were more alert they would have had an open goal.
One of the other big flaws of his game is his indeciveness whether to come out for a corner or stay on his line and then he ends up doing a half and half job and manages to botch together a punch
I can see him going down the route of Leon Best i.e. going to a club like Bolton and twiddling his thumbs for a while the keeper situation definately needs to be sorted ASAP but I am still glad we have him albeit for not much longer.

Keogh 6/10
Keogh, hmmmmm threre appears to be only three things this guy can do and none of them that well. But another old saying if you cant beat them on ability effort can jsut as easily make up for it
1. Overlap with the right winger time after time after time at times it was like watching a spaniel playing fetch down the park. Give him his due it does work well he leaves the cross a little to late but a good idea
2. Charge forward with the ball at his feet drifting towards the centre and getting somewhere in the centre circle and ermmmmm well not much else leaving us short at the back.
3. Shit himself and look like he has never seen a ball before

Cranie 7/10
Right, Cranie is another Issac Osbourne type player by which I mean, does anybody actually know where this guy is paid to play? We really need to sort out a fit left back so he can be played at either right back or centre back and leaving Keogh on the bench. There isnt really much I can say with reference to last nights game sorry chaps.

Turner 7/10
I have given Turner alot of stick throughout the Dowie and Coleman era but since the introduction of Aidy Boothroyd he has turned into a beast of a player one who will go onto bigger and better things than Coventry City. He is very attack minded and has his goal tally to show for it but, as above is still prone to silly school boy errors.He certainly made some crucial last ditch tackles and blocks, I fear we wont be around come the end of the season.

Wood
I am not really sure about him he seems to be fairly anonymous but I get bored easier than most so am not really sure what to say about him sorry.

Clingan
After his injury suring the leicester game of last year he has never really come back to form. Again like Wood he doesnt really seem to stand out or do much for me and his free kicks leave alot to be desired. I may regret saying this but give me Micky Doyle any day of the week.
Carsley 5/10

The first half he was impressive well impressiveish he really needs to practice shooting "on the volley" as every single "shot" last night sailed off deep into the night. He makes a superb captain bossing the team around. He did have a legitimate penalty shout denied when he caught a face full of boot
Unfortunately Lee your a great chap and give 100% every game but in the second hald last night you just stopped.

Gunarsson 6/10
Lets get this out of the way first HE IS NOT A RIGHT WINGER he is just not good enough he cannot cross a ball on the wing but its not his fault I guess he only plays where he is told.
When he put that cross in for Macca's goal I saw him sprint down the wing float the cross in and screamed 'he aint that fast' and then some how Macca soared through the air and bang Goal!!. I think it was abit flukey as most of his crosses sail over the top and out for a goal kick or throw-in.
Now his contract talks have re-started I assume that this his Coventry City Career is coming to an end.
I have just seen his goal on Midlands Today and it was very similar to the goal at Preston, A hint of Offside perhaps?

King 8/10
I dont really need to put much about him but he is quality a breath of fresh air to the Ricoh his first touch is class. He scares defenders with his dare I say it skill! sometimes he drifts too far wide but were not all perfect it is definatley the start of somthing special. I cant wait till he gets his first goal, dont let the side down Marlon theres alot riding on you!

McSheffrey 6/10
I think the overall expectation for him was to high I have not been very impressed with him so far. Fair play for getting on to the end of that cross very 1987 esq.
The Duke n/a
I dont get Lucas I just dont get him, he doesnt seem to do a great deal

Platt n/a
He has been accused of being Naive in the championship, there was an article in the paper a week or so ago with him moaning how he always gets penalised by referees when his shirt is being pulled. Well Clive it is up to you to do something about it im fed up of him being jumped, squased and pulled about by defenders. Your too predictable Clive

Ward n/a
Looks like he is carrying a few extra pounds, he slotted in at right back a few times when Keogh got excited but thats about all

In short
Yes we won I am not sure how but we won, the boos floating round the fortress circa 60th Minute were justified we wont win many playing like we did.We were megashite!
Boothroyd says we are a work in progress, this phrase is like Coleman's 'players were tired' but it is true we are steadily improving and with the King we are starting to look pretty swish.
We are now the only side to have scoared in every game so far, this reflects on what we are seeing on the pitch but i am still not convinced we are a ready for a play off push.
I like Aidy I like what he is trying to acheive and beleive that we really are going in the right direction but that is another article altogether.
I guess if you have got this far you are probably bored and agree with nothing I have just spent the past hour typing but thanks for reading!
PS. sorry its not really a match report of such!
PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread