Love snow (2 Viewers)

bringbackrattles

Only started snowing here on the island at 3 this afternoon. Nothing beforehand. Now, I doubt if I could get to the end of my cul-d-sac, just 50 yards or so away! I had to get to the hospital today to have a brace fitted on my leg. Managed to get there and back! Phew!
(It's on my left leg, but took this via a mirror!)
View attachment 9158
Sorry to hear about your leg Mr Houchen, but you are still fit for work. Yours Sincerely : Ian Duncan Smith.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Roads are lethal at the minute will only eat worse overnight and with a lot of people working from home tomorrow the roads weren’t be busy but it’ll be slow going to get anywhere.

Johnnythespider

BBC app now saying heavy snow showers from midnight tonight until midday tomorrow

CJ_covblaze

Will have to see how it is in the morning, does my head in they leave it so late as people need to sort childcare :(

It is frustrating. They’ll get hammered for closing when it’s not necessary though. Difficult situation.

Paul Anthony

Down here in the Forest of Dean is quite bad. It's going on through the night. Don't think we'll be going anywhere for the next couple of days....

These two pics were taken this morning and tonight. And It's still coming down pretty heavy here. With it being 16 miles to Gloucester one way down the a48 and the same to Chepstow in the other direction, We're completely cut off at the minute.

Attachments

• 20180301_145028.jpg
    20180301_145028.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180301_225149.jpg
    20180301_225149.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We didn't make it.

Travelled for six hours and only got to Hungerford, from Coventry. We ended up at a really hospitable inn on the outskirts of Newbury after not being able to get any further trying many differnet routes and getting stuck numerous times. The whole day has been horrendous beyond any kind of explanation I could put on here.

I've seem some seriously bad accidents and it's been horrible. In a way the human spirit I've seen today is something I've often felt has been lost these days which is the only redeeming factor.

Please stay safe SBT.

Nick

Administrator
Roads a lot better this morning, been past a few closed schools so they must have no heating.

Terry Gibson's perm

More likely the teachers live out in the countryside and are unable to make it into town.

More likely another days holiday for them, we need to bring in a rule were it is made up before the end of year so cut their summer holidays short or the teachers should be made to attend and do things around the school. I am thrilled siting here watching the teacher over the road clean his drive when he could walk to school as it’s less than ten minute walk for him.

I drove into work last night and it took ten minutes more than normal and same coming back at 3am and then been out to drop my wife into work as a nurse where they were told yesterday no excuses everybody to come in no matter what the conditions even if they had to walk.

Nick

Administrator
More likely another days holiday for them, we need to bring in a rule were it is made up before the end of year so cut their summer holidays short or the teachers should be made to attend and do things around the school. I am thrilled siting here watching the teacher over the road clean his drive when he could walk to school as it’s less than ten minute walk for him.

I drove into work last night and it took ten minutes more than normal and same coming back at 3am and then been out to drop my wife into work as a nurse where they were told yesterday no excuses everybody to come in no matter what the conditions even if they had to walk.

Don't think there are any real excuses today unless the heating has packed up.

Paul Anthony

Video I took on a walk down our road. And yes, I fell down the step....

Johnnythespider

I woke up earlier expecting to be snowed in, hardly anything there. Less than there was when I went to bed.
As did many head teachers. If they wait until morning they get a barrage of abuse about parents not being able to arrange child care at short notice, if they close the night before it's " ooh look there's hardly any snow they could have opened, not to mention the shitstorm if little Johnny slips over and breaks his arm. Damned either way really.

wingy

Not sure sure and I may have this wrong but just caught a clip of phone footage of a bus taking evasive action after a car from the other direction slid into its carriageway.
Seemed to be praising the bus driver who went into a skid then regained control.
Now as I say I may have it all wrong as I only caught the end of the segment, but that bus driver was going at the very least twice what would have been considered safe and cautious for the conditions.

Nick

Administrator
Not sure sure and I may have this wrong but just caught a clip of phone footage of a bus taking evasive action after a car from the other direction slid into its carriageway.
Seemed to be praising the bus driver who went into a skid then regained control.
Now as I say I may have it all wrong as I only caught the end of the segment, but that bus driver was going at the very least twice what would have been considered safe and cautious for the conditions.

Have heard about it but not seen it, I saw a few buses hammering it about yesterday.

Terry Gibson's perm

As did many head teachers. If they wait until morning they get a barrage of abuse about parents not being able to arrange child care at short notice, if they close the night before it's " ooh look there's hardly any snow they could have opened, not to mention the shitstorm if little Johnny slips over and breaks his arm. Damned either way really.

Or they could say school will start at 10am and give the snow chance to melt and clear, anybody that didn’t turn up at my work got no pay last night would that entice the teachers to go in losing some pay.y argument is always keep the kids off but the teachers must attend or is it that they can’t get child care?

oakey

More teacher bashing!
1) Teachers do not decide to shut schools and are not consulted over the decision. It is the decision of the Head teacher (the boss who is not a teacher any more) who consults with local authority for advice on roads, weather, buses etc, consults the site team / caretakers - can you make the site safe? Do you have enough grit, shovels and manpower to do the job in the time available? And then makes a decision for which he/she will get stick either way.
2) As a teacher I am available for work. If they want me in I will get my wellies on and walk. I have done it before and for what? To sit in an empty, cold building, which, remember the site team declared unsafe. Instead I can work at home and FYI I will mark a set of books, plan lessons for GCSE and A level classes, deal with many emails etc etc.
The teachers might get their weekend back as a consequence of working at home today. I know I will.

Grendel

BTW why should I not get paid when I am available for work and have been told the workplace is closed and decide to work at home instead?

I’m in a pub at the minute (no suprisevthere) and I’m sitting next to a table of teachers who are getting pissed and having a right laugh. I’m not joking either.

Users who are viewing this thread