Lack of aggression in defence ? (1 Viewer)

Theonlywayisskyblue

Post in thread 'Killer in disguise ?'
Killer in disguise ?

I posted after the Sunderland game that Killer would never have lost the header leading to their goal. 6 months later and we're still allowing the opposition to play head tennis 3 yards from our goal. Is it lack of aggression, incompetence, nerves, communication, experience or something else ? Yes Killer had his limitations but he would have intimidated the hell out of the Wrexham forwards, wouldn’t he (as would Fadz) ? It still feels at times that we’re saying ‘No, after you’ to their strikers. Clearly we have good defenders from our overall record but when the going gets tough we need to step forward ?

Is it a common thread of being too ‘nice’ maybe ? It’s often said that we suffer at the hands of the dark arts but never give it out. Interested in your thoughts. PUSB

CDK

This is a game Fadz would have loved to play in.And the game when he was needed more than any other game this season against an team set up for a long ball football.

PVA

Definitely missing Fadz's organisation as much as anything, plus the fact he'll get his head on everything.

Beginning to worry about Panzo, he isn't looking good enough recently. Rose also poor yesterday.

Doyle looks the best of the current lot.

slowpoke

With McFadzean missing and Hyam gone we have lost two decent headers of the ball from corners and crosses, despite yesterday and the Swansea game our goal against record is still decent but urgent business is needed quickly in the CB department at least one in maybe two.
Rose who I think has been okay recently was off it a bit yesterday, I like Panzo but imo of the two Doyle is the better all round player.

ddsdube

We had one ok cb and two full backs as a 3 yesterday dropping too deep because the gk had no confidence. conceded 4 goals from long balls/throws. Not rocket science, we were bullied. Mcfadz would’ve bossed it and we’d have won by a couple of goals. At least 1 cb needed in January, probably another 2 in summer given mcfadz age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

No Fadz or Fadzalike and two GKs who are rooted rooted to their line. That Bristol keeper would have plucked half the crosses that caused us problems out the air. Fadz would have headed the other half away. It is aggression a bit, but it’s also just aerial ability. Doyle is shocking in the air for a lad his size.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Post in thread 'Killer in disguise ?'
Killer in disguise ?

I posted after the Sunderland game that Killer would never have lost the header leading to their goal. 6 months later and we're still allowing the opposition to play head tennis 3 yards from our goal. Is it lack of aggression, incompetence, nerves, communication, experience or something else ? Yes Killer had his limitations but he would have intimidated the hell out of the Wrexham forwards, wouldn’t he (as would Fadz) ? It still feels at times that we’re saying ‘No, after you’ to their strikers. Clearly we have good defenders from our overall record but when the going gets tough we need to step forward ?

Is it a common thread of being too ‘nice’ maybe ? It’s often said that we suffer at the hands of the dark arts but never give it out. Interested in your thoughts. PUSB

Michael Rose has had more than enough chances. For someone quick to give it the IT and France flags, he isn’t half a soft c**t. Scared of getting hurt, bullied by every forward, always has a mistake in him. He’s 27.

Letting Hyam go is looking worse by the week. We won’t be able to buy another quality centre back, under the age of 26 for the same price we sold him for.

The squad is at breaking point and even at the start of the season our bench was far too weak, now it’s a laughing stock. Some of us will be on the bench soon.

SBT

Whenever England are in a tournament, he gives it the big one on Twitter taking the piss when we lost in the Euros final. He’s a better keyboard warrior than a defender. Proper cowardly in the tackle.
Weird thing to be upset about imo but to each their own! Think he’s been alright this season myself, despite yesterday’s showing.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Weird thing to be upset about imo but to each their own! Think he’s been alright this season myself, despite yesterday’s showing.
Didn’t say it upset me, just shouldn’t give it the big one when he’s soft as fuck and plays at centre half.

The majority of Cov fans will also support England, so it’s weird that you call that weird.

The Philosopher

It’s when you need a goalie who runs off his line.

Put two defenders on the posts and one to cover the centre / clear off line.

If a goalie comes out and runs into a striker, more often then not the decision goes to the keeper.

Moore was useless and stuck to his line.

We have no idea how to defend a long throw. I’d guess big Dennis Lawrence can still launch a throw in and we need to spend some training time on defending these.

Why? Any opposition coach worth their salt will look at our videos and see it’s a weak point and exploit. It’s important we learn quickly else it’ll cost goals and points.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

The defence is threadbare atm. We can get away with playing Rose-Doyle-Panzo in their usual positions but as we saw yesterday, there’s zero flexibility and depth. Panzo looked all over the place in the middle

We desperately need someone with championship experience ASAP. Doyle and Panzo will need a break at some point.

CB is looking like clear out and start from scratch in the summer (barring Fadz if we can tie him down to another deal)

lifeskyblue

Need someone in the defence to lead, to organise and to bully opposing forwards. Fadz clearly did that but no one since he injured (rose ok as a player but doesn’t help those around him). Allen is not an onfield captain and Kelly no longer good enough to start games.
This month we desperately need a centre back with experience who can both talk Doyle, panzo, Burroughs and the new lad through games as well as kick their a** when needed.
Robins also needs to look at keepers and get someone in who knows what it means to dominate your 6yd box and provide confidence to those in front of you. Sadly neither Wilson or Moore are capable of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Whenever England are in a tournament, he gives it the big one on Twitter taking the piss when we lost in the Euros final. He’s a better keyboard warrior than a defender. Proper cowardly in the tackle.

He’s a good defender - a far more accomplished player than Hyam in reality

Nick

Administrator
Gyo isn't aggresive and neither is Sheaf.

Don't doubt Bidwell is tough but still not on the same levels.

Speedie's Head

Sheaf failed to get over and prevent the crosses for the first two goals knowing that we were weakened in defence. It was very lazy.

Sky Blue Pete

Sheaf failed to get over and prevent the crosses for the first two goals knowing that we were weakened in defence. It was very lazy.
Definitely the first one I remember making the point before during and after the goal!! That said free header without any kind of attempt to compete from the players in the Middle

pusbccfc

It's just a very soft team. It's fine when we are doing well and the fans are singing their names and they are playing neat football but when the going gets tough they panic.

Bidwell passing the ball out of play when their lad was down on Saturday summed it up. Just too nice. There is no way any other side, especially Wrexham would have done the same.

Every other side, including Bristol City last week hammer the referee. Not something I want in football but it happens and we need to join in with it.

Doyle gets mentioned on her sometimes and the reason he was so effective was his ability to liven the team up when needed. To nibble at the referee. To tactically foul players without recieving yellows (different to Hamer flying in).

Kelly was our experienced head there on Saturday but he's no Doyle or McFadzean.

For all their ability, Sheaf, Allen, Dabo, Palmer, Rose, Panzo, Godden, O'Hare etc are all too 'nice'.

Nick

Administrator
Of course Gyokeres is aggressive. Aggression is more than just going around kicking everyone

He isn't though.

Yes, put the ball in the channel and he's going to turn you and outpace you but if somebody roughs him up he's usually on the floor shouting at the ref.

rexo87

He isn't though.

Yes, put the ball in the channel and he's going to turn you and outpace you but if somebody roughs him up he's usually on the floor shouting at the ref.
Nonsense. Yes, he ends up on the floor a lot because he often gets fouled by defenders yet because hes a big guy he never gets anything from the refs. His whole play is aggressive

Terry Gibson's perm

We need a couple of really nasty bastards in that team the type that when it kicks off they are there at the front of it or causing it.

Legia Sky Blue

McFadzan is currently proving a big loss. All 4 Wrexham goals were crosses or throw ins into the box which he would have probably dealt with. I reckon we would have not conceded the goals we did against Swansea and Bristol City either with him in the team.

Users who are viewing this thread