Kelly (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Sheaf and Hamer best pairing. But Kelly is still a very good fit. “Not good enough” is just bullshit. If it’s backs against the wall time then I’d get Kelly straight on. Think he’s a good leader and important character in the group.

It shouldn’t be backs to the wall if we’re going to be a top half side is the point. Yeah if you want someone to get a foot in and lump it anywhere Kelly is your man but we need to move (and have moved) beyond lower league tactics and relegation mentality.

Same as Doyle when we went into L1. Did a great job for us, appreciate it all and a club legend but the club is bigger than one man.

Tommo1993

It shouldn’t be backs to the wall if we’re going to be a top half side is the point. Yeah if you want someone to get a foot in and lump it anywhere Kelly is your man but we need to move (and have moved) beyond lower league tactics and relegation mentality.

Same as Doyle when we went into L1. Did a great job for us, appreciate it all and a club legend but the club is bigger than one man.

Every team suffers backs to the wall periods at this level. The fact that he’s still very much involved shows that he’s good enough. For us to be serious contenders, we need to almost completely change the squad. I don’t think it’s sentimentality at all.

Grendel

Every team suffers backs to the wall periods at this level. The fact that he’s still very much involved shows that he’s good enough. For us to be serious contenders, we need to almost completely change the squad. I don’t think it’s sentimentality at all.

It doesn’t show he’s good enough it shows what few options we have

Sick Boy

What 'nasty edge'? People are pointing out limitations to his ability that are more apparent at this level. That's not nasty, it's just pointing out the situation.
It’s the same nonsense that gets trotted out about hating players any time anyone mentions daring to upgrade.

Grendel

I don’t particularly disagree, but it can be said for other positions too.

For the record Kelly has been a good servant and pivotal to where we have got to - a fairly underwhelming signing originally who has contributed as much as anyone - but I think a 2 year deal was over generous and times move on

Tommo1993

For the record Kelly has been a good servant and pivotal to where we have got to - a fairly underwhelming signing originally who has contributed as much as anyone - but I think a 2 year deal was over generous and times move on

Yeah maybe. Just think there are several upgrades required before we make a serious challenge.

CCFCSteve

I think the bigger issue is when Kelly and Sheaf are playing together. Both are useful players in their own right but ideally need someone with the legs of Hamer around them

Terry Gibson's perm

I didn’t think he was good enough when we had him in league two but think each time we have stepped up so has he, I’m not sure he is quite quick enough for this league but there are others I would ship out first.

shmmeee

I think the bigger issue is when Kelly and Sheaf are playing together. Both are useful players in their own right but ideally need someone with the legs of Hamer around them

Yeah the real problem is we don’t have anyone to cover for Hamer when he’s out. I’d like to see another Playmaker brought in in an ideal world. Allen, Kelly, Eccles, all have their strengths but aren’t close to a replacement for Hamer.

fatso

I think Eccles will step up next season and play the roll of defensive midfield kingpin, protecting the back 3 and linking defence with midfield. In the meantime he can watch and learn from Kelly, and next year (if he's still here) Kelly will be on the bench for the odd occasion when we need to close games out.

JonesBob

when we were going down through the leagues people's expectations were low and average players seemed world beaters.Now after experiencing a few years of success our expectations are higher, which is our fault and not of the players. thankfully Robins does not share the same philosophy and is more easy going with players, especially ones that have been injured for quite a while.
Kelly has been underperforming the last few games but so have many others. Kelly's level of consistance was very high before the injury and fans are now expecting him to be the same level of consistancy prior to injury, which is an impossibility. I truly think Robins would not have named Kelly in the starting 11 yesterday, and was only included because of Hamer's absense.
Fans should really analyse their level of expectation and not gauge it by how well the team are kicking above their weight, but by where most fans saw the team doing at the beginning of the season which to most was a good midtable team.

steve101

Injuries aside, Kelly is known for being one of, if not the most naturally fittest players in the squad. Look how he continues throughout the 90 + minutes and still is able to not make tired passes at the end, as seen by his Godden assists and yesterday his clip ball into Walker, the second phase of which led to our equaliser. Along with McFadzean he is a great organiser. His attributes are never going to get the plaudits because they can easily be missed, but nevertheless are essential. As a defensive midfielder he will be passing backwards and sidewards more often - that is what breaking up play and keeping possession requires.

Sick Boy

There’s so much lower league mentality amongst our fans. No other teams in this league would be looking to sign him.

larry_david

Injuries aside, Kelly is known for being one of, if not the most naturally fittest players in the squad. Look how he continues throughout the 90 + minutes and still is able to not make tired passes at the end, as seen by his Godden assists and yesterday his clip ball into Walker, the second phase of which led to our equaliser. Along with McFadzean he is a great organiser. His attributes are never going to get the plaudits because they can easily be missed, but nevertheless are essential. As a defensive midfielder he will be passing backwards and sidewards more often - that is what breaking up play and keeping possession requires.
People actually sighed and groaned when he chipped that ball in for walker, who gambled and made something of it.

Kelly has been a great servant for this club and the image of our rise from the shite to where we are now. Is he good enough to he a starter every week, unfortunately due to rise in class and age (which will get everyone) then you'd argue no.

Is he good enough as a squad player, club captain and leader on and off the pitch who will fill in and cover injury, illness and lack of form. Absolutely yes.

He'll know his time is coming to an end, it happens to us all but he'll give his most to do whatever he can because that's the type of player he is and the mentality he has.

Eccles could well be the future but until then, Liam Kelly will do just fine

SkyblueTexan

Just what I was thinking. Management think highly of him. Can see him getting some game time.

Be great to have a look at him in The FA Cup.
Yes, hope Eccles is able to come in and contribute in the second half of the season like he did last season with some decent performances. Noticed he was on the bench for a match recently which makes me think he's not too far away from being introduced during a match.

I was also wondering about Burroughs who played fairly well in a few games last season. He seemed to be a versatile player who could help out in a few different positions across the defensive third. Where are things in terms of his progress?

Old Warwickshire lad

We are a fickle bunch of fans aren’t we. Never takes us long to turn on any player.
I said before the season started that Sheaf would be in front of Kelly before it was over and took stick for it. Come a bit earlier than even I expected.
Sheaf got slated when he first made the team,now Kelly is back and not quite up to the pace,it’s his turn.
They are BOTH capable of doing it for us this season. Sheaf will keep improving,Kelly will not let us down when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread