Jury service (1 Viewer)

Snikpoh87

Hi all,

I’ve got my court summons for jury service in the post... lucky me!

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences in the past? Good or bad. I’m just wondering what to expect.

Plenty of waiting around? Need a good book? Etc

Cheers team.

eastwoodsdustman

Yep. Plenty of time to do nothing, A decent book will help.
Dont get too pissed off if you know they're guilty but can't find them guilty under instruction from the Judge. It's frustrating to say the least.

shmmeee

Got called up once, was on the reserve list and had to call each morning to see if they needed me but they never did.

10/10 would serve again.

mrtrench

I did it about 10 years ago - a long case (lasted about 6 weeks). I really enjoyed the experience; the case was really interesting. It related to drugs trafficking and the gang leaders had already been convicted. Our case was three men lower down in the gang hierarchy. We got to listen to loads of police recordings of the events that took place and some videos - it was a little like watching a crime TV programme.

Although we were all very different, the jury all got along really well too.

lifeskyblue

Yes lot of waiting around but really interesting if you get a case. Can be a little frustrating as others have said but fascinating to see how the system works. I had a fairly simple and straightforward case that finished in a few days. Wife had one...much more complex and serious and she was kept on longer and it was more traumatic.
I dont think she wants to be called again but I would like to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommydazzle

If the defendant's eyebrows meet in the middle or there is an absence of ear lobes, then you should go for the guilty verdict. An address in Wood End is also a tell tale sign of probable guilt. It's also worth referring to lists of Chav names to dispel any reasonable doubt.

Terry Gibson's perm

I’ve never been called but my wife was and didn’t have to go as she was a student nurse and it would have affected her studying she was really pleased as she didn’t want to go

Grendel

I’ve done it. It’s an interesting experience but having been through it I hope I never have to rely on 12 good men and true.

The deliverer of the verdict (the self elected spokes person as she said she had a gob on her) almost ended up in contempt of court so I had to take over which is unique apparently

It’s a lottery if you are called from those who attend I seem to recall. I remember this rather demented looking chap who made sheep noises every time 12 were called. Was his name Garry I’m not sure.

xcraigx

The wife has done it twice and loved it both times. Plenty of sitting around doing nothing and she picked up more pay than had she gone to work.

chiefdave

If the defendant's eyebrows meet in the middle or there is an absence of ear lobes, then you should go for the guilty verdict. An address in Wood End is also a tell tale sign of probable guilt. It's also worth referring to lists of Chav names to dispel any reasonable doubt.
Supporting Villa or Leicester is also a definite sign of guilt.

ovduk78

I had to go when I lived in Inverness but wasn't selected and was free to go after about 4 hours, it was a strange few hours. There was about 30 of us and from that they drew our names out of the hat for the jury of 15 and those 15 had to go and were told details of the case, defendant etc to see if there were any issues. The court official came back in to see that we had to draw another name as 1 of those chosen had a letter from his doctor claiming he had short term memory loss and he was excused?! When they finally had the 15 they all came back in and were sat in position and the rest of us were told we had to wait a short time before we could go.The defendant was then brought in and the charges were read out, he entered his plea, court was recessed and we were told we could go. The charge was that whilst on parole for supplying class A drugs the defendant had tried to sell some drugs to an undercover police officer. The guy next to me turned to me and we both said "guilty", the trial seemed like a waste of time to me but I suppose there are legal processes that have to be followed.

Has anyone been on an id parade? When I worked in Southend the police often came into the office looking for volunteers to stand in an id parade and I went to a couple. Again they pick more than they need and the defendant's solicitor has a look and can object on certain grounds. 1 I did we all had to wear hats and scarves as the defendant had loads of tattoos and his solicitor objected that it would have been too obvious for the witness to pick out the tattooed defendant she had described, she still picked him out.

dancers lance

I got called up about 15 years ago, loads of waiting around but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Interesting case (business partner was stiffing the other business partner and when he found out he tried to kill him buy driving his BMW through his living room window whilst he was sitting on his sofa watching Eastenders)

clint van damme

When I did it we found a man guilty and the judge gave him a short custodial sentence and ordered him to be returned to his native Sri Lanka once it was served.
When he heard that he went mental, screaming, lashing out.
Turns out he was a Tamil and he was convinced he would be killed when returned to Sri Lanka. I occasionally wonder what happened to him.

Mcbean

Was called up - considered it was a real pain as there is no one to do my job the deadlines don't change and foreign managers don't understand what it was all about - felt sorry for some people who had to come from Nuneaton to Leamington on the bus and had to get up before they went to bed to make it . Anyway was quite interested in the process until we found out what the case was - turned out to be a boys club peado - the witness struggled to speak with the guy in the room - although he couldn't see him - poor bugger - sadly he could not continue and they had to abandon it so it lasted just a few days and I think that's me done - think the guy did get convicted at a later date with the evidence been given by video - good job he did look dodgy

ccfcricoh

I had to go when I lived in Inverness but wasn't selected and was free to go after about 4 hours, it was a strange few hours. There was about 30 of us and from that they drew our names out of the hat for the jury of 15 and those 15 had to go and were told details of the case, defendant etc to see if there were any issues. The court official came back in to see that we had to draw another name as 1 of those chosen had a letter from his doctor claiming he had short term memory loss and he was excused?! When they finally had the 15 they all came back in and were sat in position and the rest of us were told we had to wait a short time before we could go.The defendant was then brought in and the charges were read out, he entered his plea, court was recessed and we were told we could go. The charge was that whilst on parole for supplying class A drugs the defendant had tried to sell some drugs to an undercover police officer. The guy next to me turned to me and we both said "guilty", the trial seemed like a waste of time to me but I suppose there are legal processes that have to be followed.

Has anyone been on an id parade? When I worked in Southend the police often came into the office looking for volunteers to stand in an id parade and I went to a couple. Again they pick more than they need and the defendant's solicitor has a look and can object on certain grounds. 1 I did we all had to wear hats and scarves as the defendant had loads of tattoos and his solicitor objected that it would have been too obvious for the witness to pick out the tattooed defendant she had described, she still picked him out.

I'd enjoy jury service i think - some of my family work in the court service so not sure i'd be allowed anyway!

ID parades though i used to do a lot of - they used to just ring me up and say we need you tomorrow morning kind of thing, always good fun sticking on the hats/hoodies etc and standing there wondering whether i'd be picked for something i never did! Was always tempted to nod and wink when the "suspected" one stepped forward!

Users who are viewing this thread