john mutton (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

43, saved the country from economic ruin after booting labour out of office

Most of them points are bollox.

could you list 42 'good' points then?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

GaryPendrysEyes

I will when I have time.

I've looked at Number One as we speak. Glad you are pleased Ian Huntley is still costing the tax payer.

I thought Tories were trying to take the high morale ground about 'respect' for Thatcher being part of 'civilisation'. Stringing people up or injecting them aint really that 'civilised' in 2013 is it???

procdoc

I will when I have time.

I've looked at Number One as we speak. Glad you are pleased Ian Huntley is still costing the tax payer.

Point one is something that can and will be debated forever. I am uneasy with the idea of capital punishment, on one hand do people like Huntley deserve to live? Probably not but he will be imprisoned for the rest of his life which some might argue is worse than getting hung, electrocuted or the lethal injection as death is the 'easy way out'. Others will argue than capital punishment infringes Huntley's 'human rights', whether a child killer deserves those basic human rights again is an argument in itself. What if the wrong person get's convicted for a crime he/she didn't commit and is sentenced to death? Nowadays crimes can be solved years after the event thanks to modern day DNA and forensic technologies available. Someone who is later found innocent then has the opportunity to at least live some kind of life after enduring time spent behind bars whereas if they are later proven innocent but they were sentenced to death for their 'crimes' then their death is unjust.
I myself look at capital punishment from different angles, situations and scenarios.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I will when I have time.

Good point - after all lets not worry about the morality of state executions or the innocent people who would go that way when we could save a few quid for "the tax payer".

We could put the money towards something useful like replacing Trident.......

GaryPendrysEyes

Good point - after all lets not worry about the morality of state executions or the innocent people who would go that way when we could save a few quid for "the tax payer".

We could put the money towards something useful like replacing Trident.......

Or they could get the red arrows for the Thatcher funeral... red, white and blue smoke, a couple of dozen tanks with guns lowered, and a missile or two on lorries. Hey Dave you lookin at this??:wave:

Forza

And yet it was Thatcherite financial deregulation that laid the ground for the economic disaster in 2008, by enabling large scale fraud and bad investment behaviour.

Meanwhile inequality was increased by creating a new class of finance sector high earners while the lower and middle class share of UK income fell.

Plus we basically lucked out on North Sea oil revenues that were used during this time to balance the economy. Other oil producers made sovereign wealth funds to properly look after their oil money - where's ours?

procdoc

which of these points are 'bollox', as you so eloquently put it? If you can come up with a counter-argument to each of my points then I am willing to listen as that what a debate is all about but your dismissive tone indicates that you aren't capable of a debate.

D

Deleted member 4439

Here are some more Thatcher facts:
1. She supported the retention of capital punishment
2. She destroyed the country's manufacturing industry
3. She voted against the relaxation of divorce laws
4. She abolished free milk for schoolchildren ("Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher")
5. She supported more freedom for business (and look how that turned out)
6. She gained support from the National Front in the 1979 election by pandering to the fears of immigration
7. She gerrymandered local authorities by forcing through council house sales, at the same time preventing councils from spending the money they got for selling houses on building new houses (spending on social housing dropped by 67% in her premiership)
8. She was responsible for 3.6 million unemployed - the highest figure and the highest proportion of the workforce in history and three times the previous government. Massaging of the figures means that the figure was closer to 5 million
9. She ignored intelligence about Argentinian preparations for the invasion of the Falkland Islands and scrapped the only Royal Navy presence in the islands
10. The poll tax
11. She presided over the closure of 150 coal mines; we are now crippled by the cost of energy, having to import expensive coal from abroad
12. She compared her "fight" against the miners to the Falklands War
13. She privatised state monopolies and created the corporate greed culture that we've been railing against for the last 5 years
14. She introduced the gradual privatisation of the NHS
15. She introduced financial deregulation in a way that turned city institutions into avaricious money pits
16. She pioneered the unfailing adoration and unquestioning support of the USA
17. She allowed the US to place nuclear missiles on UK soil, under US control
18. Section 28
19. She opposed anti-apartheid sanctions against South Africa and described Nelson Mandela as "that grubby little terrorist"
20. She support the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia and sent the SAS to train their soldiers
21. She allowed the US to bomb Libya in 1986, against the wishes of more than 2/3 of the population
22. She opposed the reunification of Germany
23. She invented Quangos
24. She increased VAT from 8% to 17.5%
25. She had the lowest approval rating of any post-war Prime Minister
26. Her post-PM job? Consultant to Philip Morris tobacco at $250,000 a year, plus $50,000 per speech
27. The Al Yamamah contract
28. She opposed the indictment of Chile's General Pinochet
29. Social unrest under her leadership was higher than at any time since the General Strike
30. She presided over interest rates increasing to 15%
31. BSE
32. She presided over 2 million manufacturing job losses in the 79-81 recession
33. She opposed the inclusion of Eire in the Northern Ireland peace process
34. She supported sanctions-busting arms deals with South Africa
35. Cecil Parkinson, Alan Clark, David Mellor, Jeffrey Archer, Jonathan Aitkin
36. Crime rates doubled under Thatcher
37. Black Wednesday – Britain withdraws from the ERM and the pound is devalued. Cost to Britain - £3.5 billion; profit for George Soros - £1 billion
38. Poverty doubled while she opposed a minimum wage
39. She privatised public services, claiming at the time it would increase public ownership. Most are now owned either by foreign governments (EDF) or major investment houses. The profits don’t now accrue to the taxpayer, but to foreign or institutional shareholders.
40. She cut 75% of funding to museums, galleries and other sources of education
41. In the Thatcher years the top 10% of earners received almost 50% of the tax remissions
42. 21.9% inflation

So good it was worth repeating.

procdoc

I still haven't had a reply from Grendel yet as to my facts regarding Thatcher? I suspected this would occur as you have proved yet again that you enjoy taunting and talking down to other members of this forum, yet have very little substance to your arguments.

Grendel

I still haven't had a reply from Grendel yet as to my facts regarding Thatcher? I suspected this would occur as you have proved yet again that you enjoy taunting and talking down to other members of this forum, yet have very little substance to your arguments.

Can you please reveal the source for all the items listed as many of the quotes attributed I actually cannot find. Half of them I suspect you made up.

J

Jack Griffin

I would wager that income tax combined with all other taxes such as VATetc
would today outstrip all taxes paid back in the late 70's

Yeah, the politicians use smoke & mirrors to move the source of taxes around, NI was much lower when Income tax was at 33% (http://www.taxhistory.co.uk/National Insurance rates.htm) and Geoffrey Howe increased the standard rate of VAT from 8% to 15%.. so really the lowering of income tax was compensated for by NI an & VAT hike.

The bottom line is death and taxes (unless you live in Greece) are inevitable.

Again Grendel quotes a fact & ignores the realities of the bigger picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingy

Yeah, the politicians use smoke & mirrors to move the source of taxes around, NI was much lower when Income tax was at 33% (http://www.taxhistory.co.uk/National Insurance rates.htm) and Geoffrey Howe increased the standard rate of VAT from 8% to 15%.. so really the lowering of income tax was compensated for by NI an & VAT hike.

The bottom line is death and taxes (unless you live in Greece) are inevitable.

OR if you happen to have a Caymen Islands account.

procdoc

Can you please reveal the source for all the items listed as many of the quotes attributed I actually cannot find. Half of them I suspect you made up.

made them up? I have neither the time or inclination to dream up false facts about anything. It's all basic political history, the information is out there for all of my points. It's not my fault that you cannot find information about some of them, maybe they're not on Wikipedia. You are accusing me of lying just because you cannot find the answers, shows up how pathetic your arguments are most of the time. I suggest you go the library and read some books on British political history or, better still, stop spouting utter nonsense without knowing the facts.

shropshirecov

Towards the end miners were earning decent wages for mainly sleeping and playing cards. It's no wonder they were angry when confronted with the prospect of getting a real job.

Having a communist leader of a city council, and the city centre resembling that of an 70's Eastern European country is no surprise is it?
Power to the people!!

hotrod

made them up? I have neither the time or inclination to dream up false facts about anything. It's all basic political history, the information is out there for all of my points. It's not my fault that you cannot find information about some of them, maybe they're not on Wikipedia. You are accusing me of lying just because you cannot find the answers, shows up how pathetic your arguments are most of the time. I suggest you go the library and read some books on British political history or, better still, stop spouting utter nonsense without knowing the facts.

Surely prodoc it is down to you to substantiate your Statements as it is very easy for people to make comments without any proof as to whether they are true or not. Your comments to me mainly reflect your Opinion.

Regards.

procdoc

Surely prodoc it is down to you to substantiate your Statements as it is very easy for people to make comments without any proof as to whether they are true or not. Your comments to me mainly reflect your Opinion.

Regards.

A lot of the bullet points I made is stuff I've learned over the years through taking an interest in British politics over the years and some of my studies at college. It would take a considerable amount of time to go through each point in detail, if I get the time (IE a few spare hours!) I will address each point. The facts are there to support an anti-Thatcher argument, just as much as there are facts readily available to support a pro-Thatcher argument (nowhere near 42 bullet points but still!). I was merely posting the 42 bullet points as I have read a lot of pro-Thatcher fluff on this thread, mainly from Grendel, so that is why I posted those bullet points to counter-argue his views. He is the first poster to shout down to anyone who disagrees and I get the impression he thinks he knows more about everything than anyone else. The way he talks down to people without often knowing any facts or having any substance to his arguments is very annoying. Then if he can't google or Wikipedia anything to prove you wrong he accuses you of lying, which is very low indeed.

Sky Blue Kid

Towards the end miners were earning decent wages for mainly sleeping and playing cards. It's no wonder they were angry when confronted with the prospect of getting a real job.

Having a communist leader of a city council, and the city centre resembling that of an 70's Eastern European country is no surprise is it?
Power to the people!!

Bit of an arsehole statement mate. Like everyone on here says...Show us the proof!
For the 3rd time of saying on the forum about this subject.....Come down to South Wales, or go up to the North East and say that to their faces, and see if you get back to where you live in one piece. Total bollox is what you're spouting matey...Total bollox!:facepalm:

Mucca Mad Boys

Mr Hugo Chavez ran a dictatorship? What evidence? He was elected, he had a mandate to rule unlike this coalition (if the Liberals voted who to partner with, their followers would've went with Labour), the people also did not vote for a coalition. Here's a quick comparison with Venezuela:
-UK has unelected Head of State, Venezuela does not.
- UK has an unelected second chamber, Venezuela does not.
- The UK parliament is dictatorial with the whip system and with a large majority, whoever is in power could effectively pass what they like, hence the term Elective Dictatorship, coined by Lord Halsham.
- UK constitution is not written, and can be changed easily via passing of statutes, Venezuela, on the other hand, has a written constitution outlining basic human rights there, in the advent of a rogue government, UK citizens would/could see their 'rights' severely undermined.
- Hugo Chavez was elected in 1998, died in office 2013, he was elected to stay in office, in fact, Maduro, his successor, has just won the election called because of Chavez's death before he was sworn in!
- Some dictatorship!? :thinking about: :whistle: :facepalm:

The Venezuelan politics is organised like US politics.

No, you, and Grendel are totally wrong, Venezuela is a more democratic than the UK, in fact, the UK, I would say the UK is a 'limited dictatorship', quick example, biggest protests ever (nearly 1m?) in UK before declaration of war v Iraq, what did Blair do? 3-line whip to muzzle his opponents within the party and didn't listen to popular sovereignty, democracy?

How is the comparison ridiculous!?

Just to add to the above, the USA and Chavez's opponents plotted a coup against Chavez in 2002, Chavez was removed from office, but strikes were so widespread he was reinstated. If the same thing happened to Thatcher in 1982, would the people push her back in? Would they strike to see the ConDem reinstated, we of course don't know, but I would be more inclined to say no.

Obviously psgm1 and Grendel have nothing to say back to that.

Long live the Bolivarian Revolution!

dadgad

Mr Hugo Chavez ran a dictatorship? What evidence? He was elected, he had a mandate to rule unlike this coalition (if the Liberals voted who to partner with, their followers would've went with Labour), the people also did not vote for a coalition. Here's a quick comparison with Venezuela:
-UK has unelected Head of State, Venezuela does not.
- UK has an unelected second chamber, Venezuela does not.
- The UK parliament is dictatorial with the whip system and with a large majority, whoever is in power could effectively pass what they like, hence the term Elective Dictatorship, coined by Lord Halsham.
- UK constitution is not written, and can be changed easily via passing of statutes, Venezuela, on the other hand, has a written constitution outlining basic human rights there, in the advent of a rogue government, UK citizens would/could see their 'rights' severely undermined.
- Hugo Chavez was elected in 1998, died in office 2013, he was elected to stay in office, in fact, Maduro, his successor, has just won the election called because of Chavez's death before he was sworn in!
- Some dictatorship!? :thinking about: :whistle: :facepalm:

The Venezuelan politics is organised like US politics.

No, you, and Grendel are totally wrong, Venezuela is a more democratic than the UK, in fact, the UK, I would say the UK is a 'limited dictatorship', quick example, biggest protests ever (nearly 1m?) in UK before declaration of war v Iraq, what did Blair do? 3-line whip to muzzle his opponents within the party and didn't listen to popular sovereignty, democracy?

How is the comparison ridiculous!?

Just to add to the above, the USA and Chavez's opponents plotted a coup against Chavez in 2002, Chavez was removed from office, but strikes were so widespread he was reinstated. If the same thing happened to Thatcher in 1982, would the people push her back in? Would they strike to see the ConDem reinstated, we of course don't know, but I would be more inclined to say no.

A well researched post SBT.....not surprised that the usual suspects have had little to say on the matter.

American geo-political ambition is covert imperialism under the guise of "Combatting the war on drugs" or some other guff.

You'd have to be pretty thick to think that this is in any way laudable......but Thatch didn't mind cosying up to the yanks, deplorable bitch.

Grendel

A well researched post SBT.....not surprised that the usual suspects have had little to say on the matter.

American geo-political ambition is covert imperialism under the guise of "Combatting the war on drugs" or some other guff.

You'd have to be pretty thick to think that this is in any way laudable......but Thatch didn't mind cosying up to the yanks, deplorable bitch.

Where would you prefer to live?

Mucca Mad Boys

Psgm brought a quote, that was an opinion from I can only presume, a western rightist newspaper, no factual basis, and in fact, you look at the political system in the UK, it is outdated and is no longer fit for purpose and until it is reformed, we won't be as democratic as the US, France, Venezuela and most modern democracies.

Oh I forgot to mention:

- FTTP voting system over represents Labour + Tory and in the UK, you can form a majority government with a minority of the votes, whilst FTTP voting has strengths, it isn't particularly democratic in a sense, e.g. UKIP got 900k votes, they get no representation, LibDem got more votes than past elections, yet lost seats. In Venezuela, no majority of votes = reelection as they use a form of PR.

Users who are viewing this thread