Jobs (1 Viewer)

05rengla

anyone know any places that are recruiting mainly for office staff?

or either apprenticeships or trainee jobs?

not getting anywhere applying for jobs at the minute....

Nick

Administrator
Job Centre, reed, monster.

Just check them 3 times a day.

Never understood the cant get a job malarky!

You've obviously never been out of work then Nick. It can be fricking hard to find a job at times, respect to the op for at least asking people.

hughescov

I struggled for about 3 months, doing part time jobs here there and everywhere.

Job centre website or the bulky computers they have in the building are very good. I always find that word of mouth is the best, get everybody to know to have a look at where they work for you or get them to speak to people in the know (ask politely of course ;))

Nick

Administrator
You've obviously never been out of work then Nick. It can be fricking hard to find a job at times, respect to the op for at least asking people.

Yep, I have been out of work a few times. I also managed to get a job within 4 days of starting to look because I spent all day every day job hunting rather than sitting in Spoons or moaning about how the Polish had taken them all (like some people do).

Fair play to the OP for trying his hardest to find one, what annoys me is the people who go to the job centre once a week and moan there is nothing.

I have been out of work properly twice. The first time I ended up Joining the Navy because there was such a lack of jobs, the second time I managed to get a new job within a month of looking (allday everyday). Sometimes it's just not that easy to find a job mate.

What gets me is the people who don't even take the crap part time job in Maccys cause they want a proper job. Any job is better than no job.

scroobiustom

Job Centre, reed, monster.

Just check them 3 times a day.

Never understood the cant get a job malarky!

Bit harsh mate, I graduate in summer and cant get anything, spend about 6 hours a day looking, in between coming on here. Every interview is a no because other people have more experience or more relevant qualifications!

Nick

Administrator
What gets me is the people who don't even take the crap part time job in Maccys cause they want a proper job. Any job is better than no job.

Exactly, I'd go and lift boxes in a warehouse or empty wheelie bins. A job is a job!

Nick

Administrator
Bit harsh mate, I graduate in summer and cant get anything, spend about 6 hours a day looking, in between coming on here. Every interview is a no because other people have more experience or more relevant qualifications!

Work in a warehouse or McDonalds until you do find something for your career? Not being harsh, just never understood it.

scroobiustom

and further to this, stereotyping much nick? I've never once complained about any foreign national coming to work in this country or any other for matter.

To classify me (as an unemployed person) as a spoons, moron who claims about "polish people", demonstrates how far removed and ill informed you actually are.

Nick

Administrator
and further to this, stereotyping much nick? I've never once complained about any foreign national coming to work in this country or any other for matter.

To classify me (as an unemployed person) as a spoons, moron who claims about "polish people", demonstrates how far removed and ill informed you actually are.

I didn't say everybody did. I just said the people who do annoy me...

scroobiustom

Anyway back to the Andy Thorn debate...

Nick

Administrator
tbf you did stereotype Nick. You said you can get a job dead quick if you look, if you don't your a spoons moron.

Didn't mean it to sound like that, sorry if it did.

I meant you can get a job IF you don't become a spoons moron by getting out and hunting a few times a day!

Otis

I've struggled to get a job. But then that is due to strict criteria in terms of lifestyle and responsibilities.

Think I have applied for over 100 and have had just one reply (turning me down) and not a single interview.

BackRoomRummermill

There are plenty of jobs around , I have just finally employed two more UK people in Bahrain after much searching. The trouble with people is that want too much so your right Nick. I was all for employing people younger and mould them, but they shit themselves when you tell them the job and responsibility they will have . So in the end a 44 and 49 YO

The guys i have employed will also work in UK , the fact of the matter is the youth are un prepared to comprimise and suit the employer they also expect too much. (from what I have seen, which has been many) call me general, but best advice to any young person reading this if they are going into engineering areas , Stay off face book and dont be gobby , dont lie on your CV and your only starting out so any oppurtunity is better than none and most importantly LISTEN !

Otis

I am excellent at interview stage and nearly always get the job once invited to interview.

Just can't get that interview though. :facepalm:

ICHAN

Thing is here, it is ok saying go get a job any job, however being an industrial electrician for over 15 years that is not that easy (especially in potatoe picking land).

Having applied for many changes away from my chosen career I find it increasingly harder to find anyone willing to let me retrain in a differant career.
As they just think he will be off as soon as a chance comes up so not going to waste our time, I can not even get the chance to try and convince them, I am more than willing to start at the bottom and work my way up, but it is getting that chance to try and prove yourself and getting some company to allow the time to retrain someone when they can get someone who is qualified/experianced for the particular vacancy.

Should have advertised on here BRRM

Last edited:

Otis

I have been turned down for jobs on minimum wage.

Ain't as easy as people make out.

ICHAN

It's not Otis I fully agree, years ago I used to walk out of one job into the next the next day no more, even a couple of years ago when I was subbing one contract would end and you would be straight onto the next site, now I am lucky to even get a reply very lucky, and even then it is only to say thank you for applying but due to etc etc, gets you down after a bit.

Otis

In fact I rummage through the Job Centre bins, find other people's rejection letters and tippex their names out and scrawl my own on just so I can feel better.

rob9872

I agree with Nick's original comment, although in fairness to the op he may already have taken a job at MacD or humping boxes whilst he searches and he is also showing initiative posting on a site read by a few hundred that may just get to hear of something before it goes to press. Always worth a shot to have as many irons in the fire as you can.

I would say to those looking that taking a low rent job like moving boxes etc may get you an opening into the field you want. It could be at the same company even, but also people tend to employ from the emploed. If someone else is willing tp give them a go, then they might be prepared or more inclined to.

ICHAN

So it counts for the job searching you have to prove when you sign on, good thinking otis might try that one.:thinking about:

Otis

Agree with that, Rob. Companies like to employ the employed.

Once you are unemployed for a while everyone just seems to ignore you.

ICHAN

Rob as I put I have no problems starting down the line as it is upto the individual to try and progress in a company as I have done over the years, however what I am trying to say that being an electrician for over 15 years, getting someone to actually give you a chance at trying to develop within a company, and getting the chance to retrain is not that easy.
Yes companies do like to employ employed people fully agree, but still need to get a foot in the door and once you have been out of work for a while it does gets harder

Last edited:

rob9872

A qualified sparky - signing on and do foreigners is far more lucrative :)

dutchman

So it counts for the job searching you have to prove when you sign on, good thinking otis might try that one.:thinking about:

I don't have any personal experience of the system but I was told by someone who does that if you make a note of the reference numbers next to job adverts in the local paper, that also counts as proof of having searched for one.

Hope that helps someone in more need than me.

Otis

Cheers.

No good for me though. not entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance. Don't receive a single penny in benefits.

05rengla

I agree with Nick's original comment, although in fairness to the op he may already have taken a job at MacD or humping boxes whilst he searches and he is also showing initiative posting on a site read by a few hundred that may just get to hear of something before it goes to press. Always worth a shot to have as many irons in the fire as you can.

I do, currently working part time in supermarket untill i finish college and find a more permanent job

Users who are viewing this thread