Jimmy Armfield (1 Viewer)

Cov kid 55

Very sad to hear that Jimmy Armfield has passed away. Had an excellent career in football, and was, in my opinion, the best match summariser on radio. Seemed quite a humble man who always knew it was about the football, and not him. Understated, but very knowledgeable, with an obvious love of the game. I will miss hearing him on 5 Live. R.I.P.

Irish Sky Blue

I am sure I saw him play once. Blackpool had one season in the old first division in the early seventies. I went to watch City play at Bloomfield Road. We produced a dismal performance and lost 1-0. I can’t really remember anything notable about Jimmy’s performance but Blackpool had a winger that day who tormented us all afternoon. Whenever he got the ball the Blackpool fans were on their feet and the noise level went up as they anticipated something good was about to happen. This was the first time I saw Tommy Hutchison play.
Jimmy Armfield always came across as a gentleman, like Cyrille Regis he just seemed a really good bloke, no airs or graces and like many of that generation, really respectful of the game that gave them their living.

clint van damme

Ian Holloway spoke very well about him on 5live last night. You could clearly tell he had a lot of time for him as both a football man and as a man. It was a nice tribute.

rupert_bear

I am sure I saw him play once. Blackpool had one season in the old first division in the early seventies. I went to watch City play at Bloomfield Road. We produced a dismal performance and lost 1-0. I can’t really remember anything notable about Jimmy’s performance but Blackpool had a winger that day who tormented us all afternoon. Whenever he got the ball the Blackpool fans were on their feet and the noise level went up as they anticipated something good was about to happen. This was the first time I saw Tommy Hutchison play.
Jimmy Armfield always came across as a gentleman, like Cyrille Regis he just seemed a really good bloke, no airs or graces and like many of that generation, really respectful of the game that gave them their living.
I went to that match and Hutchison was outstanding along with Tony Green an out standing midfielder we were linked to him too but he got a serious injury which cut his career short.

The Great Eastern

I went to that match and Hutchison was outstanding along with Tony Green an out standing midfielder we were linked to him too but he got a serious injury which cut his career short.
Was that the same season Blackpool were 3-0 up at half-time against Chelsea and proceeded to lose 3-4 ?
Tony Green was indeed an excellent player.

Users who are viewing this thread