Italy v England here in Bedford (1 Viewer)

Otis

Now, I know this might prove to be contentious, but just wondered what everyone else thought about what went on here in Bedford last Tuesday after the Italy v England game.

Bedford has at least 20% of the population being either Italian or of Italian descent, the largest contingent pro rata in the UK. Very large community here.

Anyway, what happened was that after the game Italians/Italian supporters drove round the streets of the city centre in a calvecade celebrating their victory and the English fans took umbrage and a few fights broke out and it ended up with some English fans burning the Italian flag in the street. In 2012 when Italy knocked us out of the Euro's it was apparently a lot worse.

Well, my question is, though I totally deplore any violence on any level here and indeed the burning of flags etc, were the Italians right to drive around the streets of Bedford celebrating, when obviously Bedford is in England and it was England who had just been beaten by the Italians?

Would that happen in Milan or Naples if that were England fans celebrating in Italy after beating the Italian national side? Or at least, how long would any celebration last before all hell broke loose and all the English fans got totally pumelled or hospitalised?

Can you imagine English fans driving round Glasgow or Cardiff or Paris, had England just beaten one of those nations on their home turf? Not sure we'd daare do it.

My stance is, I have no problem with anyone celebrating, but if it's done in a way that totally provokes another group, especially citizens of the home country that had just suffered defeat, then I think caution and restraint needs to be applied.

article-0-1EC8883000000578-445_964x637.jpg

article-2658299-1EC914F800000578-971_470x669.jpg

article-2658299-1EC91E7500000578-380_470x669.jpg

article-2658299-1EC887AC00000578-243_964x631.jpg

Last edited:

Otis

Another way of looking at it is, doesn't this make us a much more tolerant country than most? The fact that people of other nations and backgrounds can celebrate or protest or speak up for themselves without fear (on the whole) of reprisal?

This incident was very minor, I think only about 150 England 'fans' involved.

Otis

Yes, that was what I was thinking.

Pretty much any country really, Germany, Italy, Holland, France, the US.

As this was a rather small incident (though the flag burning I felt was most distasteful), does this show our tolerance? Could this be something relfected in a positive light rather than a negative one, or does it just feel wrong that people living in England are tauting our home nation upon our own soil.

Guessing this is what probably got a few backs up on the night and it was probably seen as taunting to the English fans by people who were born here or grew up here or have lived here for so many years.

I've seen a number of pubs here flying both the St George's and Italian flags. Am guessing that life here is usually different people simply getting on with each other. Lots of Italian cafes and restaurants etc. here, that reflects the influence of the Italian people who live in this neighbourhood.

wingy

Never heard of any trouble when India or Pakisstan wallop England in the Cricket
Driving round Smallheath ...Seabrook etc
Was in Frankfurt working a few years back

Huge Turkish population driving round after some win
No issues, May not have been against the host nation though

Otis

Think that's the key, Wingy.

Had it been Italy versus anyone else there wouldn't have been an issue, but this was England v Italy IN England and Italian fans driving round the city centre celebrating in front of English fans.

Add alcohol and it's a recipe for diaster.

Maybe it's a good thing Pakistan aren't a good football team. Could see a few issues there for sure.

skybluesam1987

I would have thought there was a case for the police to arrest them for incitement to racial hatred.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

wingy

There are plenty of Cities in this country with huge Irish /Scottish contingents and it never kicks off .........

Oh hang on they never beat us.:whistle::whistle::slap::slap::)

Covstu

It shows a lack of respect to be honest, you just dont do it. I know a few Italians and watched the game with them, i didnt begrudge them celebrating when they scored and won as they deserved it. If they then started running round the pub waving the flag in peoples faces then they deserve a slap. Football and alcohol have always been a dangerous mix. Sadly it will always be a tribal game where passions run high and the brain leaves the room.

Otis

Seen a few pubs and cars down here flying both the England and Italian flags.

Don't see any reason why both sides can't respect each other. Big banners from the Bedfordshire police asking for just that. A joint enjoyment of the game together.

God knows what would have happened if they had been a really contentious incident in the game that had affected the result.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Seen a few pubs and cars down here flying both the England and Italian flags.

Don't see any reason why both sides can't respect each other. Big banners from the Bedfordshire police asking for just that. A joint enjoyment of the game together.

God knows what would have happened if they had been a really contentious incident in the game that had affected the result.

Luckily for Bedford police....it turns out that both Italy & England are shite.

Now, for the remainder of the tournament, the Italians can support Germany & the English can support the French......that's never happened before has it ????:whistle:

Otis

I'm surprised their aren't more penalties against Italy when they play in tournaments.

Surely a chance of a hand ball everytime one of their players gives the 'Italian salute. '

1943-93a-and-b-Italy-surrenders-to-Allies-1024x672.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread