Italy v Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Otis

Think Italy have caught the English disease.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Costa Rica are impressive though, think they will probably beat us

It's been a pleasure watching teams like Chile, Colombia and Costa Rica at this World Cup. Wonder how far they can go

Otis

No, not taking anything away from Costa Rica, but Italy have been shocking.

I notice Pirlo has a bit more attention this evening too. :whistle:

Otis

If this stays the same and Costa Rica win that will mean that Uruguay will HAVE to beat Italy to make it to the next stage.

Be interesting.

Otis

As the commentator just so very nicely summed up, 'Pirlo closed down quickly again.'

SkyBlue_Bear83

If this stays the same and Costa Rica win that will mean that Uruguay will HAVE to beat Italy to make it to the next stage.

Be interesting.

It will be winner goes through out of Uruguay and Italy, a draw would see Italy through on GD I think

Otis

Yep. That's the way I see it.

Draw will do for Italy, a win will be needed by Uruguay.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Proper chuffed for Costa Rica, well deserved.

At least we may have a slim chance to win a match now if Costa Rica play their second team

Otis

Proper chuffed for Costa Rica, well deserved.

At least we may have a slim chance to win a match now if Costa Rica play their second team

I don't want that though. If we win I want it to be on merit not because the other team is just going through the motions.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't want that though. If we win I want it to be on merit not because the other team is just going through the motions.

Same, my post was bit tongue in cheek to highlight how bad our world cup has been. That we're relying on Costa Rica (the supposed whipping boys) playing their second string for us to get some points.

Otis

And I really hope Hodgson steers away from fielding the old handers for this game. Can't see any point in now doing that, but you can be bound sure that Hodgson won't drop captain Gerrard.

If I was Gerrard I would retire now and hand the armband over.

Tuesday needs to be fresh blood. If we lose we lose, it doesn't matter, it won't count for anything.

Sky Blue Harry H

What I would laugh about (but don't think will happen) is if Uruguay go out at the expense of Italy, after Suarez's self righteous sounding off against the English - for me the words sounded like those of a man who doesn't think he's going to have to face up to them any time soon. You think he could have toned it down a little, given his supposed relationship with Gerrard - I think he's looking towards Madrid ? Great player, little sh*t.

turlykerd

Hhmmmmmm...interesting .....

So....if you push up and hold a high line...... With some closing down and pressing up the pitch ...... This thing happens ....i ...think....its.....called "a win" ?????

Hmmmnm <<<<<<<ponder

J

Jack Griffin

And I really hope Hodgson steers away from fielding the old handers for this game. Can't see any point in now doing that, but you can be bound sure that Hodgson won't drop captain Gerrard.

If I was Gerrard I would retire now and hand the armband over.

Tuesday needs to be fresh blood. If we lose we lose, it doesn't matter, it won't count for anything.

Yeah, an ideal time to try a few players out, field Shaw, shove Smalling in to replace Jagielka and, gawd at this point the squad is looking paper thin.. maybe Jones instead of Gerrard.. oh I give up... and resort to a silly twitter feed I saw

Boring James Milner @BoringMilner · 21h

I said to Gerrard It was just like watching Liverpool when you set up Suarez. He said This really isn't the time for Jokes, James. I said Ok

turlykerd

What I would laugh about (but don't think will happen) is if Uruguay go out at the expense of Italy, after Suarez's self righteous sounding off against the English - for me the words sounded like those of a man who doesn't think he's going to have to face up to them any time soon. You think he could have toned it down a little, given his supposed relationship with Gerrard - I think he's looking towards Madrid ? Great player, little sh*t.

Sums it up

Suarez..... Great player, little shit !

Otis

Yeah, an ideal time to try a few players out, field Shaw, shove Smalling in to replace Jagielka and, gawd at this point the squad is looking paper thin.. maybe Jones instead of Gerrard.. oh I give up... and resort to a silly twitter feed I saw

I would go for Shaw. Jones at right back, though I can't say I'm too impressed with him, but he can't surely be any worse than Johnson. I would also go with Ox if fit and Lallana.

You're right though, the squad is very thin. No idea why Lampard is there.

Anyway, drop Johnson, Baines, Welbeck for starters. I would 'rest' Gerrard too, but that won't happen I'm sure.

Grendel

Sums it up

Suarez..... Great player, little shit !

Great or not he couldn't even run. The defending for both goals was pathetic.

I never really understood why Cole wasn't in the squad. He's a real professional on the pitch. It seems the full backs' attacking qualities areole important than the defensive ability.

SkyBlue_Bear83

-------------Hart
Johnson--Cahill--Jones--Shaw
---Henderson-Wilshere--Lallana
------Sterling----Ox
-----------Sturridge

Have Sterling and Ox playing narrow and attempting to drive forward and penetrate, play a 3 man midfield also.

stupot07

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

...Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I know. I can't believe anyone would think that. Then again astute things 'Arry should be manager.

Clueless.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why not? Ok he isn't great but It hardly matters now anyway. We could play Ricky Lambert at right back and Joe Hart at striker for all the difference it makes in the next game.

Otis

Think he was just throwing names out there to be honest.

No idea why Smalling is even there. No international class at all for me.

Otis

He's not a bad manager, just not quite what we need right now. We need young fresh blood out on the field and fresh thinking from the touchline too.

I don't like to be too harsh, but you only get 3 games in these tournaments and you have to get the tactics spot on if you wish to advance. Too many mistakes both on and off the field in this world cup for my liking. Some of Roy's tactics he got completely wrong.

Doesn't fill me with much hope for the future, though as I say, Idon't think he's that bad. Just not what we need right at this moment in time.

Sky Blue Harry H

I never really understood why Cole wasn't in the squad. He's a real professional on the pitch. It seems the full backs' attacking qualities areole important than the defensive ability.

Agree with you Grendel - although Johnson is supposedly good going forward, for me he slowed us down all the time- it's like his brain freezes if he has to think about what he has to do. Every time he took a throw in, he got the football equivalent of the yips (or whatever darts players call it when they can't release the dart) - never seen a player get so confused as to who to throw it to. Maybe time for Stevie G to retire - but for me the man has been different class over the years (even if club performances better than internationals).

Otis

Both Lampard and Gerrard have been so much better for their club sides than for England.

Time for both to retire now. Bring on the new breed.

J

Jack Griffin

I do agree with you there, England currently play with full backs who look good going forward, but get lost in space when the counter attack comes in.. Cole, often to be found clearing off the line after getting back IN POSITION AND IN TIME!

Are Shaw, Flanagan & Stones any good? They're the future, if there is one...

jimmyhillsfanclub

Baines is a fine defender...better than cole this season and deserved to be there as the best english left back in the country.
Hes just had 2 shit games... .but hes not alone.

6 Generations

I do agree with you there, England currently play with full backs who look good going forward, but get lost in space when the counter attack comes in.. Cole, often to be found clearing off the line after getting back IN POSITION AND IN TIME!

Are Shaw, Flanagan & Stones any good? They're the future, if there is one...

I haven't seen much of Shaw, but Stones and Flanagan are excellent prospects.

Otis

Baines is a fine defender...better than cole this season and deserved to be there as the best english left back in the country.
Hes just had 2 shit games... .but hes not alone.

He has been poor these 2 games for sure.

Weak links for me in this tournament have been Johnson, Baines, Gerrard, Welbeck and Rooney (in that Italian game). Jagielka has also made too many errors.

Only bright spots have been Sterling, Sturridge and Barclay. Lallana not had a chance, Ox been injured and Wishere still lacking match fitness, so unfair to judge those 3 on this occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread