It was the start that killed us this season (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

We had 16 points after 16 games .. over the last 25 games we've competed with the best .. wasn't losing to Cardiff or away at Southampton that done us in .

Should already be sat with southampton tbh , big positives for next season if we miss out (I know negative but reality I think )

Screenshot_20240413_110845_Flashscore.jpg

Briles

Some teams have slow starts some have slow finishes, as a rule you end up where you deserve to be from the season as a whole. Trying to pin point where something went wrong is kind of futile as there are so many variables.

Chris1987

Some teams have slow starts some have slow finishes, as a rule you end up where you deserve to be from the season as a whole. Trying to pin point where something went wrong is kind of futile as there are so many variables.
Our circumstances produce the exception to this. A squad of new players , a formation change , the start to the season was inevitably slow. Difficult to determine whether we deserve to be in the play off spots or not . Our form since the this period compares very favourably with most over a long period of games.

napolimp

So our form over the last 25 games, which we know is a standard this team can maintain, equates to 1.88 points a match. Around 86-87 points over the course of the season. Comfortably 3rd or 4th I'd reckon, most seasons, and sometimes you'd be pushing for 2nd.

Evo1883

So our form over the last 25 games, which we know is a standard this team can maintain, equates to 1.88 points a match. Around 86-87 points over the course of the season. Comfortably 3rd or 4th I'd reckon, most seasons, and sometimes you'd be pushing for 2nd.
And then we can assume (hope ) that we are going to improve the team further this summer

SeaSeeEffCee

We need to keep all our key players this season. Our starting line-up for the first game of next season should be:

Collins
van Ewijk
Thomas
Kitching
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
New CAM/Palmer/Mason Clark
Sakamoto
Simms
Wright

As much continuity as possible.

Last edited:

napolimp

We need to keep all our key players this season. Our starting line-up for the first game of next season should be:

Collins
van Ewijk
Thomas
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
Sakamoto
Simms
Wright

100% agree with this, we have to. Palmer at 10 for me, we can ease new players in as we progress. The only change I'd make is bringing in Kitching, and starting with 11 players.

fatso

We had 16 points after 16 games .. over the last 25 games we've competed with the best .. wasn't losing to Cardiff or away at Southampton that done us in .

Should already be sat with southampton tbh , big positives for next season if we miss out (I know negative but reality I think )

View attachment 35095
A poor start definitely hampered us, and I said at the time that our pre-season was poorly thought out. (Exeter away was in no way a good prep for the first league game at Leicester)

We also had 1 disastrous spell between international breaks, where we plummeted down the table, with some people even suggesting we part company with MR!!!

Bedding in so many new players was also going to be a huge challenge, but having said that, the shocking early season form of Wright and Simms meant that we struggled for goals for way too long, having to rely on Godden, who is past his prime now was never going to be the answer.
Thankfully HW and ES finally started to deliver, but by then we were playing catch up.

Injuries, and a squad that was way under size hasn't helped. Getting O'hare back was good, but losing Sakamoto was a massive blow. Those two played far too few games together, and that could of been key to us getting in the playoffs. (O'hare's form may not have dipped so much with Sakamoto as an outlet for him)

The F A. Cup run may(?) also of impacted our league form, but the game against Wolves was epic, and we don't yet know what the semi-final will bring.

Wherever we finish up, this season has been a good one, with gates up, the excellent cup run, half a squad of new players now bedded in and looking good, and optimism high for next season.

If you were to add Sakamoto and EMC to today's match day squad we'd look very capable of beating anyone. And there should be a few more coming in before next term.

onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

fatso

Collins
van Ewijk
Thomas
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
Sakamoto
Simms
Wright

Are we only going to start the first match with 10 players !!!😯

Cally Fedora

“Killing the season” is an interesting take. I think we’ve had a fantastic season. Having to cope with the play off final trauma, rebuilding the team especially in defence and having to replace the goals of Gyokeres and Hamer. Yet here we sit in an FA semi and with a squeak of the play offs. Plus some brilliant wins along the way and lots of goals.

Ashdown

With the addition of another couple of decent players and holding onto our current crop apart from Callum should see us competing from the start next season.
I expect to see Tavares, Kelly, Godden depart for starters.

Samo

Collins
van Ewijk
Thomas
Kitching
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
Sakamoto
Simms
Wright

I think if only one place in the starting 11 is being challenged for by a newbie, it will have been a very poor summer window.

SkyBlueAussie

Mate, without a shadow of a doubt, we ain't out of it yet.
This is Coventry City...Watch and be Amazed...:):);)

Deity

Collins
van Ewijk
Thomas
Kitching
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
Sakamoto
Simms
Wright

I hope we don’t start with this team as it will mean 2 things …. We haven’t been promoted and we haven’t recruited as well or as early as we hoped.

AJB1983

It’s just too many draws, particularly in games in that first 10 where we shouldn’t have drawn and won - Huddersfield at home being a prime example. Also one might argue Norwich at home too.
just two or three of those being wins and we’ll be comfortably in the top 6.
But we are where we are.

Skyblue in Baku

A poor start definitely hampered us, and I said at the time that our pre-season was poorly thought out. (Exeter away was in no way a good prep for the first league game at Leicester)

We also had 1 disastrous spell between international breaks, where we plummeted down the table, with some people even suggesting we part company with MR!!!

Bedding in so many new players was also going to be a huge challenge, but having said that, the shocking early season form of Wright and Simms meant that we struggled for goals for way too long, having to rely on Godden, who is past his prime now was never going to be the answer.
Thankfully HW and ES finally started to deliver, but by then we were playing catch up.

Injuries, and a squad that was way under size hasn't helped. Getting O'hare back was good, but loosing Sakamoto was a massive blow. Those two played far too few games together, and that could of been key to us getting in the playoffs. (O'hare's form may not have dipped so much with Sakamoto as an outlet for him)

The F A. Cup run may(?) also of impacted our league form, but the game against Wolves was epic, and we don't yet know what the semi-final will bring.

Wherever we finish up, this season has been a good one, with gates up, the excellent cup run, half a squad of new players now bedded in and looking good, and optimism high for next season.

If you were to add Sakamoto and EMC to today's match day squad we'd look very capable of beating anyone. And there should be a few more coming in before next term.

onwards and upwards!
"loosing" ?

Robinshio

3 seasons in a row. This year and last great finish. Season before great start. Need to do for 46 games

Alan Dugdales Moustache

“Killing the season” is an interesting take. I think we’ve had a fantastic season. Having to cope with the play off final trauma, rebuilding the team especially in defence and having to replace the goals of Gyokeres and Hamer. Yet here we sit in an FA semi and with a squeak of the play offs. Plus some brilliant wins along the way and lots of goals.
Great post. Ultimately disappointed that the okay offs have gone but we've hung in there until game 42 and we have a proud day out next weekend.
We've come up just a bit short but given our changes at the start and where we were at the end of November it's been a small miracle .

Bollocks to the corrupt world of the premier League. This league is proper football.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Our lack of clean sheets this season has cost us a play-off place at least. We did brilliantly with a flat back 4. We have been inconsistent (at best) since he reverted to a back 5. They don't know whose role is whose. I hope we play back 4 at Wembley.

Users who are viewing this thread