Israel - Palestinian Conflict (3 Viewers)

skybluetony176

It is genocide
If the IRA had taken hostages during the troubles and the British govt had sanctioned the armed forces to raze, if necessary, all catholic areas of Belfast, Derry etc to the ground in the " process" of finding the hostages it would have been viewed as an attempt to wipe out the catholic population of Northern Ireland
This is worse. There are over 20,000 dead. .
It’s more akin to the UK invading the South or Ireland and raising it to the ground to tackle the IRA.

CCFCSteve

And the irony is the more Israel attacks and exerts its vengeance, the worse it will be for future generations of Israelis. Netanyahu and his extremists probably even know this but don't care. This is what you get with populist leaders.

Just desperately clinging to power…and using the death of civilians to achieve it. The only way to achieve a proper solution is the removal of Netanyahu/his government and Hamas. Fuck knows how you get there though

Hertsccfc

Just desperately clinging to power…and using the death of civilians to achieve it. The only way to achieve a proper solution is the removal of Netanyahu/his government and Hamas. Fuck knows how you get there though
Yes it's shocking that there are people who value staying in power more than the lives of thousands of people. But unfortunately this has been the case throughout history.

OffenhamSkyBlue

The thing that makes it so much worse (and falling under the definition of ethnic cleansing) is that Israel TOLD people to move from Gaza City because they were going to attack, so they moved to Khan Yunis, then they started bombarding that and told people to move to Rafah. There are now over 1.5 million refugees there with nowhere to go and they are starting to attack there too.
I have nothing against Jewish people individually, but if they support the Israeli government in this action, they are complicit.

clint van damme

The thing that makes it so much worse (and falling under the definition of ethnic cleansing) is that Israel TOLD people to move from Gaza City because they were going to attack, so they moved to Khan Yunis, then they started bombarding that and told people to move to Rafah. There are now over 1.5 million refugees there with nowhere to go and they are starting to attack there too.
I have nothing against Jewish people individually, but if they support the Israeli government in this action, they are complicit.

Plenty of Jewish people don't, and are front and centre of any progressive human rights cause, and that's long been the case.

duffer

We might not be able to stop what's happening but we can put ourselves on the right side of history by not being complicit.

A lot of MPs in this country need a good look at themselves.

I'm thinking that the best thing we can do as citizens, is to support the BDS movement.

This is nothing to do with anti-Semitism, it's about denying the Israeli state income and (more importantly, perhaps) status until it changes its ways.

Much like the anti-apartheid movement against South Africa, basically.

Evo1883

What Netanyahu is doing would fit right in the Adolf hitler playbook wouldn't it ? The reality is that America should DEMAND in private if need be that Israel stops what its doing immediately!

The west is already complicit in war crimes

clint van damme

What Netanyahu is doing would fit right in the Adolf hitler playbook wouldn't it ? The reality is that America should DEMAND in private if need be that Israel stops what its doing immediately!

In the last day he referred to what's happening in Rafa as 'our military operation'.
Slip of the tongue or letting the cat out of the bag?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We did round up catholics and intern them without charge alan
We did , certainly .
What we didn't do was to raze entire cities to the ground and indiscriminately kill thousands of men, women and children . We'd be accused of attempting to wipe out the entire Catholic population of Northern Ireland, which was never going to happen .

I wonder what Israel's tactics will be if , for example, all but two hostages are eventually rescued or released . Continue the killing as much as possible probably .

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It wouldn't be in Israel's interest to secure the freeing of all the remaining hostages too quickly if the real aim is to inflict as much destruction to Gaza and all Palestinians as possible.
I wonder what will happen once all hostages are released as far as Israel's military campaign is concerned.

Sky Blue Pete

There’s a legitimate question of releasing them to avoid civilian casualties isn’t there?
We did , certainly .
What we didn't do was to raze entire cities to the ground and indiscriminately kill thousands of men, women and children . We'd be accused of attempting to wipe out the entire Catholic population of Northern Ireland, which was never necessary .

I wonder what Israel's tactics will be if , for example, all but two hostages are eventually rescued or released . Continue the killing as much as possible probably

Hertsccfc

There’s a legitimate question of releasing them to avoid civilian casualties isn’t there?
Israel's actions are not focussed on the release of the hostages. In their words it's about destroying Hamas. Of course the effect will be to do the exact opposite as it will create even greater hostility for generations to come. However, the purpose of the mission in the Israeli Government's words is to destroy Hamas.

Sky Blue Pete

Israel's actions are not focussed on the release of the hostages. In their words it's about destroying Hamas. Of course the effect will be to do the exact opposite as it will create even greater hostility for generations to come. However, the purpose of the mission in the Israeli Government's words is to destroy Hamas.
Why not try
Why not make the un secure safe havens
Call out the Hamas mantra of no Israeli state and the actions of the idf in removing Gazans from their homeland
I’m sick of these things being so binary
All murderous fuckwits need to be stayed let’s get people involved who want to build a future

skybluetony176

Something not accounted for is how on the ground in both Israel and Palestine there’s very little support for a two state solution, even a ceasefire in some cases. Both sides are very radicalised.
Wasn’t true of one side after the Oslo accords were signed. One signatory lived to an old age and died a hero of his nation. The other was assassinated by terrorists from his own people for daring to strive for peace.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think it'll lead to untold damage for Israel . I just don't know when or how but it will breed an unmeasurable hatred for generations . Quite frankly if this killing spree continues then they bring whatever comes their way on themselves in the long run. You reap what you sow.

Hertsccfc

I think it'll lead to untold damage for Israel . I just don't know when or how but it will breed an unmeasurable hatred for generations . Quite frankly if this killing spree continues then they bring whatever comes their way on themselves in the long run. You reap what you sow.
Exactly. But unfortunately it will be innocent Israeli civilians who will suffer, whereas it should be the people who are leading this terrible onslaught.

duffer

Not just Israel. This overt hypocrisy from the west will inevitably stir up terrorism across the whole of Europe and the U.S.

I'm not saying for a moment that slaughtering more innocents anywhere is in any way justified, but I think that's the reality of the situation.

Brighton Sky Blue

It was said in Derry after the Bloody Sunday killings that the British government would ‘reap a whirlwind’, and you can’t say it didn’t.

Imagine what will be reaped from killing several thousand times those numbers of civilians.

shmmeee

Wasn’t true of one side after the Oslo accords were signed. One signatory lived to an old age and died a hero of his nation. The other was assassinated by terrorists from his own people for daring to strive for peace.

And this sort of response from both sides doesn’t help TBH. Always finding some history to justify their anger. Just such a sad situation that looks like it’ll leave a scar on the psyche of Muslim and Arab communities for generations.

And round and round we go.

wingy

Yes it's shocking that there are people who value staying in power more than the lives of thousands of people. But unfortunately this has been the case throughout history.

And this sort of response from both sides doesn’t help TBH. Always finding some history to justify their anger. Just such a sad situation that looks like it’ll leave a scar on the psyche of Muslim and Arab communities for generations.

Funded by isreal?

CCFCSteve

To be fair, Pete’s question is a reasonable one. If Hamas released all hostages then it removes another ‘justification’ for Israel’s actions. We all know that’s not what Hamas have wanted though, they’re happy for Israel to bomb Palestinian civilians. Their plan to get a reaction worked better than they probably ever expected….I’d imagine that even they didn’t realise what absolute nutcases were in Netanyahus government

It sounds like that’s where we’ll end up in the coming days (hopefully) and is what Biden is apparently pushing for. Unfortunately the damage has already been done and tens of thousands needlessly dead/lives ruined

Sky Blue Pete

The needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before

Hertsccfc

To be fair, Pete’s question is a reasonable one. If Hamas released all hostages then it removes another ‘justification’ for Israel’s actions. We all know that’s not what Hamas have wanted though, they’re happy for Israel to bomb Palestinian civilians. Their plan to get a reaction worked better than they probably ever expected….I’d imagine that even they didn’t realise what absolute nutcases were in Netanyahus government

It sounds like that’s where we’ll end up in the coming days (hopefully) and is what Biden is apparently pushing for. Unfortunately the damage has already been done and tens of thousands needlessly dead/lives ruined
I don't think so. A lot of the disquiet within Israel seems to be that the Government isn't really concerned about the hostages. They have said explicitly that the reason they are doing it is to destroy Hamas and they won't stop until they have done so, which of course is impossible.

The only possible way to stop them lies with the US and other powerful countries.

CCFCSteve

I don't think so. A lot of the disquiet within Israel seems to be that the Government isn't really concerned about the hostages. They have said explicitly that the reason they are doing it is to destroy Hamas and they won't stop until they have done so, which of course is impossible.

The only possible way to stop them lies with the US and other powerful countries.

Agree that eradication of Hamas is their stated aim and also heard the disquiet at their lack of efforts to free to hostages. But i do think they’ll end up agreeing at least a temporary ceasefire in return of the remaining hostages in the short term. External pressure is increasing. Maybe I’m just an optimist though

clint van damme

They've killed over 400 people in the West Bank since October, there are no hostages in the West Bank.
They don't need an excuse to murder innocent people.

Sick Boy

It’s incredible that the USA is actually giving billions to fund all this. Any other country would have sanctions put on it and trade ties cut.

Users who are viewing this thread