Isle of Man TT (1 Viewer)

stay_up_skyblues

Father and son killed in side car event taking the total dead in this years event to FIVE. RIP.

I don’t follow the sport. Is this level of deaths normal? Seems outrageous to me and surely a precursor to huge change?

NorthernWisdom

Equally impressively, they managed to announce the wrong person had died for one of them!

It's always been famously lethal, that's why it's time trials now rather than wheel to wheel racing, but it's certainly an anachronism in the modern world.

That said, people want to do it...

olderskyblue

Equally impressively, they managed to announce the wrong person had died for one of them!

It's always been famously lethal, that's why it's time trials now rather than wheel to wheel racing, but it's certainly an anachronism in the modern world.

“Injuries so severe that medics struggled to identify which member of the two-person team had died”

Peter Billing Eyes

The financial implication for the local population means there will always be an appetite for this as well. Famously, Barry Sheene was a strong opposer to the IOM TT as far back as the 70’s. I ride a bike and have the upmost respect for the ladies and gents who race there but totally understand why some question the ethics. Like Wisdom says, people want to do it.

skybluetony176

Father and son killed in side car event taking the total dead in this years event to FIVE. RIP.

I don’t follow the sport. Is this level of deaths normal? Seems outrageous to me and surely a precursor to huge change?

Been a particularly bad year this year. Especially for the side cars. Unfortunately the thing that makes road racing most thrilling is the same thing that makes it dangerous in that it’s racing on public roads so you don’t get luxuries such as run of areas.

It is worth noting though that one lap of the IOM is almost 38 miles and weather depending most races are 3 laps with the exception being the senior which is 6 and the zero which is 1 IIRC. So most racers in solo and sidecars will race more miles this week than they will the entire rest of the season doing circuit racing or even other road races such as the NW200 in Northern Ireland. So deaths per mile probably isn’t that bad compared to circuit racing, there’s just more opportunity. Yes you have to factor in that crashing on a road circuit is always going to be more dangerous as there’s more stuff to hit (furniture as it’s known) but also the riders leave a bigger margin for error (allegedly) so are not on the ragged edge as much (allegedly).

Road racers are a rare breed and top road racers don’t always make top circuit racers (foggy and Robert Dunlop being 2 exceptions) and vice versa. They know the risks such as the furniture, damp patches under trees, changeable conditions on different parts of the circuit etc but that’s the draw for them. They get something from the extra/different challenge to circuit racing.

skybluetony176

“Injuries so severe that medics struggled to identify which member of the two-person team had died”
Something badly failed there. I used to know a lad through work who was a passenger on a side car outfit (strictly circuits not road racing) and I recall him telling me that him and the pilot had separate identification on their race suits for exactly this possible eventuality. It’s not just about identifying a dead body either, it’s about medical procedures such as blood types, allergies to drugs etc.

skybluetony176

The financial implication for the local population means there will always be an appetite for this as well. Famously, Barry Sheene was a strong opposer to the IOM TT as far back as the 70’s. I ride a bike and have the upmost respect for the ladies and gents who race there but totally understand why some question the ethics. Like Wisdom says, people want to do it.
It used to be on the GP calendar and you’re right he hated it. He wasn’t opposed to the TT as such he just didn’t think that the GP’s should race their and to be fair to him I think he was right. Wrong types of bikes and riders, square pegs in round holes.

skybluetony176

Oldest continual race meeting in history. Was one of the first motor races in history as well. Pre dates circuit racing pretty much and the reason it started in the first place was the introduction of the speed limit on British roads (the IOM didn’t introduce speed limits until much later) and then later on an unwillingness to close roads in most of the UK (except Northern Ireland), think I’m right in saying that initially road racing used to take place on open roads with all other traffic and daily life still going on.

Mcbean

Very sad - have been a few times to watch - it’s uncanny and very scary to watch in some places , it’s free to watch on ITV 4 - they do all know the dangers but in a lot of places it’s hard road furniture so small margins - the sidecars both crashed at Agos leap which is within Douglas - the solos go onto one wheel through there but a sidecar has a totally different weight distribution . The number of deaths totally in its history is less than the fatalities of skiing in one year .

Terry Gibson's perm

Very sad - have been a few times to watch - it’s uncanny and very scary to watch in some places , it’s free to watch on ITV 4 - they do all know the dangers but in a lot of places it’s hard road furniture so small margins - the sidecars both crashed at Agos leap which is within Douglas - the solos go onto one wheel through there but a sidecar has a totally different weight distribution . The number of deaths totally in its history is less than the fatalities of skiing in one year .

It’s something I would like to see live, I have been to the Isle of Man on business and stood on some of the roads and though jeez they race on this.

Mcbean

You can fly in for a day get a taxi into Douglas and see one of the scariest places in town the bottom of Bray hill - I have been during October to buy a bike - roads were clear and the weather was beautiful ! This is Joeys statue up at the Bungalow 96A294CF-30FD-4763-9A95-346236B76EA5.jpeg

Terry Gibson's perm

You can fly in for a day get a taxi into Douglas and see one of the scariest places in town the bottom of Bray hill - I have been during October to buy a bike - roads were clear and the weather was beautiful ! This is Joeys statue up at the Bungalow View attachment 24983

I am going to look into this do they ramp up the prices for the flights?

Mcbean

I am going to look into this do they ramp up the prices for the flights?
Bit late for this one the Senior was today - however You may try the classic in August if they are running it , less people but equally as exciting - to be honest the last time I went for the day we went in a private plane and paid a portion of the cost to someone we know who flew it - it’s not cheap however you get there 😀 some of our group go to the North West 200 which is less expense but similar racing in public roads

skybluetony176

You can fly in for a day get a taxi into Douglas and see one of the scariest places in town the bottom of Bray hill - I have been during October to buy a bike - roads were clear and the weather was beautiful ! This is Joeys statue up at the Bungalow View attachment 24983
Was fortunate enough to see Joey race at the TT although he had a disaster week. Fellow Ulster man Phil McCallen was the man at the time.

Watched from Bungalow one time. Had a stinking hangover and slept in. Luckily the mountain was covered in mist so the racing was delayed just long enough to get a disposable bbq, some bacon and bread rolls on route. One of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had. The mist cleared, the sun came out, racing started and I got sunburned.

Mcbean

I have a signed picture of Joey with an oily fingerprint - he had just won the senior and I jumped the fence into the winners enclosure because you can of course and he just signed it without even batting an eyelid after 6 gruelling Laps - top chap ! True story I tell you

Grendel

skybluetony176

I have a signed picture of Joey with an oily fingerprint - he had just won the senior and I jumped the fence into the winners enclosure because you can of course and he just signed it without even batting an eyelid after 6 gruelling Laps - top chap ! True story I tell you
Joey was an incredible guy away from the racetrack too. He used to fill his van up with goodies and drive on his own to Romanian orphanages delivering the things they need and presents for all the kids.

Users who are viewing this thread