Is this false advertising? Wireless router (3 Viewers)

robbiekeane

Am I being an idiot or is this false advertising? We have internet of up to 400mb/s from our ISP. We got the router below because it advertises “up to 867mb/s over the 5GHZ band”.

Reading the tech specs it shows 10/100mbps for the LAN ports - which I understand to mean wired connections plugged into the router would be limited to 100mb/s. No bother, the only wired connection would be appleTV. Happy with that.

Anyway, we get the thing and it turns out, after lots of frustration and further research, that the WAN Port (ie the port that the router receives data from modem) is also limited to 100mb/s. This is NOT listed anywhere on the Amazon description of the manual that I could see anywhere.

Can’t wait to grapple with Amazon for a full refund (it’s been over 30 days). Surely this is false/misleading advertising no? Or am I just stupid?

TP Link Router Amazon

Nick

Administrator
Not sure it's false advertising as over the 5ghz band means WiFi.

You need the gigabit one that's the other option on the listing.

Although if you ask Amazon and say you need an upgrade they will probably give you a gift card if you send it back.

Didn't the isp give you a router?

robbiekeane

Not sure it's false advertising as over the 5ghz band means WiFi.

You need the gigabit one that's the other option on the listing.

Although if you ask Amazon and say you need an upgrade they will probably give you a gift card if you send it back.

Didn't the isp give you a router?
They wanted to charge $15 a month for using a router lol.

But yeh I understand 5ghz means WiFi but it didn’t say anywhere it was limited to 100mb/s over wifi (no mention of that cap in relation to either band), only for the LAN port. No mention of WAN.

Pisses me off how they can do that. We are trying to send the other one back to Amazon I’m sure they will take it in the end but fucks me off as they clearly omit it as they know people won’t buy it.

We got a gigabit one for about $20 more…so not even much more expensive at all would have gone for it if they were clear and it’s still their brand!

Users who are viewing this thread