Is This A Scam? (1 Viewer)

oscillatewildly

Had some young lad (20-22 yrs old) knock on the door earlier claiming to be from a company checking on the connectivity performance of broadband.
He was wearing a tracksuit with the company logo embroidered on the chest, also had a 'laminated' ID card on a lanyard.
Thing is he needed to check via my mobile phone.
I smelt a rat so (probably too) politely told him everything was OK and I wouldn't need a check.
Anybody else had this recently?

clint van damme

Had some young lad (20-22 yrs old) knock on the door earlier claiming to be from a company checking on the connectivity performance of broadband.
He was wearing a tracksuit with the company logo embroidered on the chest, also had a 'laminated' ID card on a lanyard.
I smelt a rat so (probably too) politely told him everything was OK and I wouldn't need a check.

Tracksuit you say? Think I might know the scallywag in question. @TomRad85

oscillatewildly

Seems dodgy, why would he need your phone?
Precisely.
His speel seemed plausible - Mentioned 'our' vans being in the area recently doing work on houses (true) and the green cabinets on the street corners are being phased out (I had heard about this somewhere)
But then again scam artists employ the plausible to make the scam seem genuine, don't they?

ajsccfc

Not sure why someone from a company checking on broadband connectivity wouldn't have their own devices to check, right thing to send them packing

rob9872

Warn your neighbours too, only needs one vulnerable unsuspecting and probably elderly victim to be lucrative. If you have a ring doorbell keep the footage too as if someone is scammed it will help the police.

duffer

Out of interest, can you remember the name of the company he was claiming to represent?

It sounds very fishy to me too mate, good work in sending him packing. No way they need your phone to check their broadband connectivity!

AOM

If you're with BT, it could be legit according to the below (especially the phone bit) but I just assume everything is a scam nowadays until proven otherwise 😂

Mcbean

Yes but BT blokes carry their own mobile and will check for you using fast . Com
I m pretty sure that guy would leg it with your iPhone 13 as soon as he laid his hands on it - he may just have been at your neighbours with an iPhone 4

oscillatewildly

Out of interest, can you remember the name of the company he was claiming to represent?

It sounds very fishy to me too mate, good work in sending him packing. No way they need your phone to check their broadband connectivity!
I can't recall it, annoyingly.
I will post it on here if I do get a flashback.

oscillatewildly

Yes but BT blokes carry their own mobile and will check for you using fast . Com
I m pretty sure that guy would leg it with your iPhone 13 as soon as he laid his hands on it - he may just have been at your neighbours with an iPhone 4
He would have been very disappointed with the booty that my phone amasses.

napolimp

How long did he need your phone for? Indefinitely?

Users who are viewing this thread