Interesting views on Wasps games at Ricoh..... (1 Viewer)

jas365

Aug 8, 2011
I was talking to one of my clients yesterday, his son has recently become involved with Worcester's youth academy, having previously played for Nuneaton RFC Juniors. He goes to watch him play every week and they have been to a lot of the local rugby clubs recently, last week he was playing at Broadstreet RFC.

One of the things he said was that Wasps move is all the talk at the moment, and from the feedback he was getting at pretty much all the games was that most people couldn't wait for them to move to the Ricoh. A lot of people said they would start going to Wasps games so they could see a big team play at such a top class venue. I found this bit particularly surprising, as it does somewhat contradict the majority view (me included) that there would be very little local interest. Admittedly we're only talking about small numbers at these junior games, but it could be that there will be a bigger local turn out come December than we're all thinking.

The other comment he made was that his son had already been approached by Wasps about moving to their academy from Worcester! Worcester is reportedly one of the top junior academies in the country, and he declined their offer.

The Lurker

Jul 31, 2014
Oh don't be saying that on here bud because in the eyes on here most think everyone don't want it to happen

SkyblueBri

Apr 27, 2012
In the whole of the West Midlands there is NO top flight Rugby Club I do not follow rugger but all the people I know that do cannot wait for Wasps to arrive.

jas365

Aug 8, 2011
Oh don't be saying that on here bud because in the eyes on here most think everyone don't want it to happen

To be honest it's shifted my opinion somewhat on how popular the move could be amongst non CCFC fans (or more importantly rugby followers). I hadn't mentioned it but he started to tell me what feedback he was getting as he knew I had a ST at the Ricoh.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
As has been said many a time, rugby fans are seemingly a different breed and many just want to watch a game of rugby.

Wasps could prove to be quite popular here whether we like it or not. Time will tell I guess.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
In the whole of the West Midlands there is NO top flight Rugby Club I do not follow rugger but all the people I know that do cannot wait for Wasps to arrive.

West Midlands county? Or the general region?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

italiahorse

Nov 23, 2011

Throw in Warwickshire, Shropshire and Staffordshire and they have done there homework.
Motorways all the way.

RFC

Apr 30, 2013
I hope Wasps will be popular and CCFC move out to a new Stadium, the sooner the better.

Must totally control our own destiny, particularly financial, playing surface etc. etc..

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
I hope Wasps will be popular and CCFC move out to a new Stadium, the sooner the better.

Must totally control our own destiny, particularly financial, playing surface etc. etc..

If move out of the stadium RFC it will be into another ground share. Either that or CCFC will go to the wall.

Rusty Trombone

Jul 26, 2013
Coventry

How do you see our destiny panning out when trying to pay for a new stadium. How much are Northampton spending on one stand?

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
Throw in Warwickshire, Shropshire and Staffordshire and they have done there homework.
Motorways all the way.

Why? Leicester, Northampton and Worcester are all bordering warwickshire. Leicestershire Borders Staffordshire, and Shropshire is miles away and borders Worcestershire, in fact all those teams are easy access to the motorway. Their catchment is arguably bigger where they currently are and they only averaged 5.7k last season.

They'll be hoping Worcester don't get promoted straight back to the PL. And Gloucester is not far away either.

And all those football teams in the midlands to compete for fans too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
I thought pretty much every rational thinking City fan had agreed that there will never be a new stadium.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
I thought pretty much every rational thinking City fan had agreed that there will never be a new stadium.

It all depends on what the days argument is.

Tomorrow, the stadium will be off again...

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
Motorways all the way.

Do those motorways stop before Leicester Northampton and Gloucester then -- fucking hell who tought you geography?

Skyblueweeman

Dec 7, 2011
Portsmouth

Quite rightly for a number of reasons...mainly, I'd rather my own football club own a stadium built for us, than some fucking rugby club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DazzleTommyDazzle

Mar 20, 2011
Bristol
Do those motorways stop before Leicester Northampton and Gloucester then -- fucking hell who tought you geography?

As it appears to be of interest to you, Mr Harding taught me Geography. Excellent bloke. Also refused to allow me to study Economics & Sociology - not the done thing - so I ended up with Economics & Accounting and a career (?) in finance.

But on the more relevant bit, speaking as a resident of Shropshire, the Ricoh is significantly easier to get to than Leicester, Northampton or Gloucester.

Personally I wouldn't cross the road to watch a rugby game, but I thought you'd appreciate the (not so) local knowledge.

The Lurker

Jul 31, 2014
Quite rightly for a number of reasons...mainly, I'd rather my own football club own a stadium built for us, than some fucking rugby club.

Sisu been in power since 07.

In 2013 they decided to fuck us off to Northampton. They've been here 7 years and what good have they done? Sweet FA apart from divide fans, try to distress ACL/Higgs. We've had plenty of chances to own the ground and sisu haven't bothered. Is this mess wasps fault? No so if your going vent frustration at anyone it's sisu

italiahorse

Nov 23, 2011

Probably not the same guy who 'taught' you English.

Why would someone wanting to watch top quality Rugby drive past Coventry ?

dongonzalos

Feb 13, 2012
I am surprised to say anyone I know who is a rugby fan of other teams that live in the region are excited about it.
I find it hard to get my head round really.
It seems with rugby the fans are more franchised than the clubs!

Skyblueweeman

Dec 7, 2011
Portsmouth
Sisu been in power since 07.

In 2013 they decided to fuck us off to Northampton. They've been here 7 years and what good have they done? Sweet FA apart from divide fans, try to distress ACL/Higgs. We've had plenty of chances to own the ground and sisu haven't bothered. Is this mess wasps fault? No so if your going vent frustration at anyone it's sisu

I never mentioned anything to do with whose fault it is. You said it seemed that no one wanted the move on SBT. I said rightly so for a valid reason. Regardless of rights or wrongs, people should want the Ricoh to be owned by the club and no one else. I cannot fathom why anyone would think any different.

The Lurker

Jul 31, 2014
I never mentioned anything to do with whose fault it is. You said it seemed that no one wanted the move on SBT. I said rightly so for a valid reason. Regardless of rights or wrongs, people should want the Ricoh to be owned by the club and no one else. I cannot fathom why anyone would think any different.

Sisu have had 7 fuckin years to get the ground! Instead they take us away to Northampton!!!!! What were the council supposed to do with the ground? Seems like many have forgotten what tricks sisu have played over the years

the rumpo kid

Jan 30, 2013
I was talking to one of my clients yesterday, his son has recently become involved with Worcester's youth academy, having previously played for Nuneaton RFC Juniors. He goes to watch him play every week and they have been to a lot of the local rugby clubs recently, last week he was playing at Broadstreet RFC.

One of the things he said was that Wasps move is all the talk at the moment, and from the feedback he was getting at pretty much all the games was that most people couldn't wait for them to move to the Ricoh. A lot of people said they would start going to Wasps games so they could see a big team play at such a top class venue. I found this bit particularly surprising, as it does somewhat contradict the majority view (me included) that there would be very little local interest. Admittedly we're only talking about small numbers at these junior games, but it could be that there will be a bigger local turn out come December than we're all thinking.

The other comment he made was that his son had already been approached by Wasps about moving to their academy from Worcester! Worcester is reportedly one of the top junior academies in the country, and he declined their offer.

Worcester bought broad st some months ago and are currently playing some of there youth and up- and- coming players there, that's why a lot of the old broad st ( who cant get a game coz Worcester are pulling the strings)players have fucked off to other clubs,

wingy

Jul 9, 2011
Worcester bought broad st some months ago and are currently playing some of there youth and up- and- coming players there, that's why a lot of the old broad st ( who cant get a game coz Worcester are pulling the strings)players have fucked off to other clubs,

Broad St have been some Shrewd bastards over the years haven't they ?

Certainly know how to do Land deals .

Could teach SISU a Trick or Two IMO.

Skyblueweeman

Dec 7, 2011
Portsmouth
Sisu have had 7 fuckin years to get the ground! Instead they take us away to Northampton!!!!! What were the council supposed to do with the ground? Seems like many have forgotten what tricks sisu have played over the years

FFS!! You're missing my point. All I'm saying is that I don't want a fucking rugby club owning a ground that was built for us. Regardless of whether we should've bought it in the last 7 years or whether we were fucking camping in Northampton for 18 months. What part of that doesn't compute??

The Lurker

Jul 31, 2014
FFS!! You're missing my point. All I'm saying is that I don't want a fucking rugby club owning a ground that was built for us. Regardless of whether we should've bought it in the last 7 years or whether we were fucking camping in Northampton for 18 months. What part of that doesn't compute??

The point is sisu had there chance on numerous occasions and haven't bothered.

Is that wasps fault? No

Is that the council fault? No

It's all down to sisu and there silly games which have come back to haunt us. I agree I don't want wasps here either but it's happening and that's that.

Calista

Sep 30, 2013

I know where you’re coming from Weeman, but I actually think sharing the stadium with Wasps would make us (and them) more prosperous than either party going it alone. 50% of a successful business is preferable to 100% of a struggling one.

So if (and it’s a big if) CCFC can negotiate an equal partnership with Wasps I’d be very pleased.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013

A quick question for you.

When your employers give you some tickets for the Rugby team they sponsor and say "be a good little boy and take some customers to watch them" what are you going to say to them?

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

Oct 18, 2012
I can fathom why the Wasps would have an appeal in the region, I am sure there are a lot of Rugby fans in the region, but there is no top Rugby side for fans to follow, the Wasps move to the Ricoh might change that, in the same instance a Super League team may have done the same (when discussed last year).

At which point it does make you wonder how successful Wasps will be and if there will be big interest in the games, I for one aren't sure that there will be attendances over 5,000 consistently for Wasps games. That said I think there will be a bigger attendance for the inaugural game.

Skyblueweeman

Dec 7, 2011
Portsmouth
I know where you’re coming from Weeman, but I actually think sharing the stadium with Wasps would make us (and them) more prosperous than either party going it alone. 50% of a successful business is preferable to 100% of a struggling one.

So if (and it’s a big if) CCFC can negotiate an equal partnership with Wasps I’d be very pleased.

Agree Norm. 50% and I'd be alright about it I reckon. I just get the impression that some people are happy Wasps own 50% of a stadium because Sisu are wankers. No logic in not wanting your own club to own 100% of their own stadium.

Here's hoping that 50% comes off or our future is proper bleak.

WM

Paxman II

Mar 16, 2011
Cotswolds
I think WASP will be popular given time at the Ricoh. However that does not translate to crowds of 30k? Remember just a mere hint of some football success in a starved city of anything close to decent football for well over a decade, brought about over 30k fans for a JPT semi final!?? The differences are starkly contrasting.
Talk of a new stadium for CCFC seem unrealistic at this point.

TheOldFive

Apr 2, 2011
There will be no new build for CCFC. I am sure of it now. The idea of building a facility in the area that could profitably offer 365 day revenues is a nonsense now because it will be rivalled and altogether outgunned by the Wasps management of The Ricoh takibg over from ACL - The management team of which you could have outperformed with hiring out a Scout Hut. Also, with Retailers running for cover and moving away from big build out of town/outskirt stores there's no retail "anchor partner" to join up with. Any concept of "The Sisu Model" is in ashes and so this will hopefully mean they will bail out shortly. I mean 'hopefully' in the sense that it will satisfy some shouty types and we might get some peace for a bit.

mighty quinn

Dec 7, 2013

Still talk of a new stadium. It will never ever happen.

quinn1971

Mar 31, 2013
I can fathom why the Wasps would have an appeal in the region, I am sure there are a lot of Rugby fans in the region, but there is no top Rugby side for fans to follow, the Wasps move to the Ricoh might change that, in the same instance a Super League team may have done the same (when discussed last year).

At which point it does make you wonder how successful Wasps will be and if there will be big interest in the games, I for one aren't sure that there will be attendances over 5,000 consistently for Wasps games. That said I think there will be a bigger attendance for the inaugural game.

Nearly sold old out for the London Irish game,

skybluefred

Aug 17, 2013

Norman--Weeman, I agree that CCFC owning the ground would be utopia, however would it be CCFC or sisu because if it's sisu
CCFC are still up the creek without a paddle.

Users who are viewing this thread