I'm Sad, I need to share. (1 Viewer)

Malaka

My boys are 16 and 14, I bought us all season tickets for years, we always sat together and I always used to bring one of their mates, I even got tickets near the front of Block 19 so they could put their flag up. I was there the other day, Billy no mates, the kids all go up the naughty corner now and leave me on my own. Now the roof doesn't cover my bald head and I am gonna get soaked. Last week I thought sod it, upgraded my ticket to corporate, next to a friend, nice lounge, a bar you can get served at, comfortable seat with shelter but I'm sad. I always hoped that we would go to the games together and they would push me up in my wheelchair in a few years. Just thought I would share my sadness with my forum friends.

letsallsingtogether

My boys are 16 and 14, I bought us all season tickets for years, we always sat together and I always used to bring one of their mates, I even got tickets near the front of Block 19 so they could put their flag up. I was there the other day, Billy no mates, the kids all go up the naughty corner now and leave me on my own. Now the roof doesn't cover my bald head and I am gonna get soaked. Last week I thought sod it, upgraded my ticket to corporate, next to a friend, nice lounge, a bar you can get served at, comfortable seat with shelter but I'm sad. I always hoped that we would go to the games together and they would push me up in my wheelchair in a few years. Just thought I would share my sadness with my forum friends.
Same happened to me but now my lad is older he only goes with me, I also did it to my Dad.
Give it 5 years and all will be back to normal.

clint van damme

Same happened to me.
Be grateful for the times you shared, priceless, and suggest one game every now and then where you make a family day of it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Same happened to me but now my lad is older he only goes with me, I also did it to my Dad.
Give it 5 years and all will be back to normal.
Words of wisdom there. Yes, they will come back. They need to outgrow the naughty corner, which they will. Just give it time.

matesx

Same....but then he's 19, he'd rather be with his mates in muppets corner, i get it

Still have the sadness you describe at times though, he was always beside me growing up

I suppose id be more worried if he wasn't with his own age as a young man.

Its life and the good thing is he comes to meet me in Cherry Tree or Wheatsheaf after the game for a quick pint before disappearing into the night 🍻

ms639

It’s just a phase mate. Went up with my old man as a kid, 5 year hiatus between 13 and 18 sat in block 14. Then back sat with the old man and wouldn’t have it any other way. They’ll be back.

They’ll get old and grumpy soon enough and the idea of sitting up in singers corner will lose its appeal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyblue1991

I've always gone to home games with my dad and in the days before relegation to L1 in 2012 we used to meet other of my mates and their dads.

I got to away games with my mates though, unless my dad fancies it and then I bring him too

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They're being teenagers and wanting that freedom and independence. I'm sure in years to come they'll be back sitting with you and have fond memories of it. Just at their age it's not cool.

Terry_dactyl

Neither of my 2 are interested in going at all…never have been.
Chatting to the old man the other week about how we’re the last 2 in our immediate family who care about football...if you can call supporting Pompey ‘caring about football’.
We thought my 7 year old nephew might continue the legacy but he confessed recently that football isn’t his thing…he was apparently upset that he might’ve disappointed us…

“You’ll never disappoint me mate, I’ll always love you whatever.
but I’m gonna have to take all the Cov merch I’ve bought you over the years back and give it to someone more deserving. Now get back to your transformers or whatever the hell it is you get up to”!

I actually think if they’re not supporting City, they’ve dodged a bullet. Lucky bastards!

Covkid1968#

My daughter enjoys it more than my youngest son…think he pretends just for me. They come about 6 games a year. My oldest is a Man Utd fan who comes occasionally to see live Footie.
Once I’m gone nobody from my family will go up… I’m ok with that but less happy that the connection with the City of Coventry will be all but lost. We’ve all moved away so only got myself to blame.

duffer

If they've got to that age and they don't completely hate you, and they're not in a Youth Offenders Institution, then congratulate yourself on doing a decent job as a parent. Sounds like you've given them the right values and the confidence to be independent, don't beat yourself up for that.

In time they'll be sat back next to you, and if there's one thing that being a parent teaches you, it's that time really does fly.

And as long as you're available for a loan, a lift, or free childcare, my suspicion is that you'll never really be rid of 'em, even when they're fully grown up and you just want a bit of peace and quiet. 🙂

the rumpo kid

Serves you right for dissing Kelly !

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Just ground them if they dont sit with you

Covcraig@bury

Love this OP.. I was in posh seats before the start of this season only because I was going for major heart op and thought too much excitement might kill me .
my life has been city for over 50 years and decided to down grade and move to block 15 . If I’m going to die I want to go singing .
so my advice to you is go join your sons ,sing loud and be proud.

Johhny Blue

Love this OP.. I was in posh seats before the start of this season only because I was going for major heart op and thought too much excitement might kill me .
my life has been city for over 50 years and decided to down grade and move to block 15 . If I’m going to die I want to go singing .
so my advice to you is go join your sons ,sing loud and be proud.
We could all die of heart attacks this season

shmmeee

My two loved it at first this season. Then it got cold and we started not winning every game. They’ve just asked to stay home on Saturday ☹️

clint van damme

My two loved it at first this season. Then it got cold and we started not winning every game. They’ve just asked to stay home on Saturday ☹

and they can change their minds again.
But when they feel like that, don't force them to go, otherwise you will turn them away from it for good.

Macca1987

My lad is now 21, four of us sit together at home games, two oldies and our two lads, he goes to most away games, sometimes with me and sometimes with his mates, I just enjoy the times with him for as long as they are there

tisza

Used to go with my grandfather and his mates when i was a nipper - home and away. He took me because my old man wasn't about.
Then hit the naughty teens and went with groups of mates instead. He never said a word but think he was a bit hurt.
Then early 20s just started going with him again when it was my turn to "repay the favour" and take him to games until he sadly passed away. Wouldn't swap the memories of going to games with him for anything. From the games themselves, the trips to the routine of popping into that little newsagent by the ground after the game for a Pink un, packet of fags for him and a bar of chocolate for me (shush don't tell your mum !!)

Danceswithhorses

I used to go up Highfield Road with my dad and his mate...we'd all been ST holders from '81 onwards...through thin and thinner.
When the fa cup run in '87 came around, all my school mates who'd never supported Cov before, suddenly became fans.
I made the choice to go to the QF, SF and Final with them instead of my dad...a decision i now deeply regret.
With the benefit of hindsight, my friends were clearly just bandwagon jumping, and never went again after the final, and it left me feeling guilty that i hadn't shared that unique cup run and fa cup final victory experience, with my dad.

Conclusion....kids (teenagers incl) make stupid decisions, but they'll be back soon...especially if you tell them they can pay for their own season ticket unless they sit with you ;)

Last edited:

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

FairPlay for sharing. You’re never on your own with SBA. Might be worth getting in touch with someone you speak to on here to see if you can try sitting near them for a few games? If it’s a success then could move your ST in the future.

It’s a phase on their behalf, happens to everyone. They’ll be back when they think you’ll be buying them their beer!

My dad couldn’t take me up the City often due to work commitments so it was my grandad that I got a ST with. When my grandad wasn’t able to go up anymore, I went into the wilderness a bit and just whenever I knew someone else was going up… until I met the infamous ESB1 at college!

Snikpoh87

I went through the same phase... Had a season ticket with my dad for a good 15 years or so, then ditched him to go on the 'sesh' with my mates.

I got him a season ticket for his birthday this year, and take my son as well and it's never been better.

I'm just waiting for my son to now grow up and decide i embarrass him too much, and go off with his pals.

He'll be back... It's just the cycle of supporting the club in different ways for different reasons.

JonesBob

This is just an observation as I too am getting on in age, so this is possibly applicable to me.

The majority of teenagers who go to games may be aggressive to the opposition but they are very positive towards their team. They sing and get behind the team. On the other hand, people over 40 usually complain alot about their own team and will occasionally sing. They don't care so much about the opposition and so don't have much aggression towards them. Their aggression is usually aimed at the ref, the manager or their own players.
So, i guess the reason young teenagers don't wish to be seen with their parents at football matches is their aims are different. It same when people go on holiday, parents want to see the sights whereas the kids, if they can be bothered going, want to be on the beach and making friends preferably of the opposite sex.

Users who are viewing this thread