If Preston Haskell's bid had been accepted..... (1 Viewer)

GaryPendrysEyes

Mar 20, 2011
Yes I know Appleton was working to the narrow terms of reference for an Administrator... but let's face it if Preston Haskell's bid had been accepted the financial position and outlook for 'the new' CCFC (and Coventry) would have been completely and utterly different and undoubtedly positive. I would guess (yes guess...):

A CCFC ownership/part-ownership Ricoh deal agreed with ACL/CCC as part of the takeover - likewise academy
Playing at the Ricoh
Crowds 15k + for the 1st season at least
Season tickets 8000+
--meaning very significant increases in revenue
Some (limited) new team investment and progression on the pitch
Positive energy and goodwill though out the team, club, fans and City.

It's a shame Administrator's brief isn't wider now aint it...
Things could have been so different right now :0(

GaryPendrysEyes

Mar 20, 2011
SISU would have the team and say they have the rights to the golden share.
From then on legal challenges etc .....
Yes probably, just like Sisu to piss on our chips...

Still dont quite understand how the share was with Limited, and yet we played with contracts in Holdings- is this within FL rules? I hope we get to see all the accounts and see when player registrations were moved etc...
In fact WHERE ARE THE ACCOUNTS???

jaytskyblue

Jul 24, 2013
Yes I know Appleton was working to the narrow terms of reference for an Administrator... but let's face it if Preston Haskell's bid had been accepted the financial position and outlook for 'the new' CCFC (and Coventry) would have been completely and utterly different and undoubtedly positive. I would guess (yes guess...):

A CCFC ownership/part-ownership Ricoh deal agreed with ACL/CCC as part of the takeover - likewise academy
Playing at the Ricoh
Crowds 15k + for the 1st season at least
Season tickets 8000+
--meaning very significant increases in revenue
Some (limited) new team investment and progression on the pitch
Positive energy and goodwill though out the team, club, fans and City.

It's a shame Administrator's brief isn't wider now aint it...
Things could have been so different right now :0(

Agreed. Administrators need to look further than just the short term position of creditors. It is clear revenue coming in would have been £m's higher (in terms of gates, shirts, sponsorship) if PHIV had come in. That money would actually have come in quite quickly as well.

Maybe, just maybe Sisu may shoot themselves in the foot at the last moment.

Oh yes..AND WHERE ARE THE ACCOUNTS??

jon92

Dec 16, 2011
I couldn't see crowds being at 15k + for the first season we only just got that in championship

Sky Blue Kid

May 3, 2012
@jon92.... We only just got that figure in the Championship because of lack of investment in playing staff. We never knew from one week to the next if any of the decent players were going to be sold.(Which they inevitably were anyway) A new owner with a positive outlook, and I reckon at least 15k. maybe even 18k for the first season is a reasonable guess.

RoboCCFC90

Oct 18, 2012
It's a nice dream, but reality is a bi***

RegTheDonk

Aug 17, 2011
Yes probably, just like Sisu to piss on our chips...

Still dont quite understand how the share was with Limited, and yet we played with contracts in Holdings- is this within FL rules? I hope we get to see all the accounts and see when player registrations were moved etc...
In fact WHERE ARE THE ACCOUNTS???

The football league have certainly kept a low profile re. this, I assume they are hoping ACL accept the CVA and everything will quietly return to normal. Something Fishy has gone on with the FL's record keeping.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
I remember ACL's preferred administrator Brendon Guilfoyle talking on cwr before and after the last game of the season, he didn't think PHIV had the money from his experience of PHIV trying to buy Leeds.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
Agreed. Administrators need to look further than just the short term position of creditors. It is clear revenue coming in would have been £m's higher (in terms of gates, shirts, sponsorship) if PHIV had come in. That money would actually have come in quite quickly as well.

Maybe, just maybe Sisu may shoot themselves in the foot at the last moment.

Oh yes..AND WHERE ARE THE ACCOUNTS??

OSB has already said they can't submit the group accounts until the fate of Ltd is sorted. The auditors won't sign them off.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Haskell wanted the club for nothing and the stadium at a drop down price. He sounds a bit like another group of shady investors to me.

Sky Blue Kid

May 3, 2012
fernandopartridge fernandopartridge is online now CCFC Manager Join Date Dec 2011 Last Online 4 Minutes Ago Posts 1,192 Threads 14 314 Like Received In 172 Posts Default................................................................................................................................................................................................................ SISU wanted the club for nothing and the stadium at a drop down price. He sounds a bit like another group of shady investors to me............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I say.....Just had to change the first word in your sentence....Ahhh that's better.

Last edited:

GaryPendrysEyes

Mar 20, 2011
Haskell wanted the club for nothing and the stadium at a drop down price. He sounds a bit like another group of shady investors to me.

The difference is we have had Sisu for 5 years+ and know then inside out. We knew little about PHIV, except he had positive interactions with fans, ACL etc.. so why assume the worse, its very unlikely he would have been as bad as this shower and would have given us a massive positive boost to try and move forward from. Instead the Sisu downward spiral and distrust continues to dig from rock bottom downwards...

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
fernandopartridge fernandopartridge is online now CCFC Manager Join Date Dec 2011 Last Online 4 Minutes Ago Posts 1,192 Threads 14 314 Like Received In 172 Posts Default................................................................................................................................................................................................................ SISU wanted the club for nothing and the stadium at a drop down price. He sounds a bit like another group of shady investors to me............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I say.....Just had to change the first word in your sentence....Ahhh that's better.

Last edited by Sky Blue Kid; 14 Minutes Ago at 11:32 AM. Reason: I'm a thick c**t

Stafford_SkBlue

Jan 27, 2013
Why has he not offered to buy from SISU - A timewaster from America who got your hopes up and gone away. He's doing this all the time, pretending to bid and nothing happens.

GaryPendrysEyes

Mar 20, 2011
Why has he not offered to buy from SISU - A timewaster from America who got your hopes up and gone away. He's doing this all the time, pretending to bid and nothing happens.
Mate you may have heard of something called Administration-- we are in it....

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
The difference is we have had Sisu for 5 years+ and know then inside out. We knew little about PHIV, except he had positive interactions with fans, ACL etc.. so why assume the worse, its very unlikely he would have been as bad as this shower and would have given us a massive positive boost to try and move forward from. Instead the Sisu downward spiral and distrust continues to dig from rock bottom downwards...

Unfortunately we do know his inability to buy Leeds, and his backing from Joe 'what board can't I endorse as they shaft our club' Elliott.

New owners sure, but a clean break from the past would be nice!

GaryPendrysEyes

Mar 20, 2011
So a few prefer where we are with Sisu to where we might have been with PHIV, right? Surely no one can deny the outlook would have been completely different, unified and positive...

lordsummerisle

Mar 19, 2011
Birmingham
So a few prefer where we are with Sisu to where we might have been with PHIV, right? Surely no one can deny the outlook would have been completely different, unified and positive...

It's that sort of statement that meant that Sisu were welcomed in with open arms by the majority and anybody who disagreed shouted down as an unbeliever who wasn't a real Coventry Fan.

You know that GPE, you were never for them either, you should know better than to accept a gift-horse in the mouth.

They generally kick your teeth in!

sisu go home

Jul 20, 2013
PHIV has a very positive history in American sport which is raved about. He also has a good business head, so of course he wanted to buy the club when it's share value was minimum. He also worked out that the club's not worth much without the ownership of the stadium and the support of the fans. He would have also had us playing in Coventry. All in all, he worked out more about the club before he started than Sisu have since they got here. I'd have backed him!

lordsummerisle

Mar 19, 2011
Birmingham
It was his dad who had a minority interest in the Jacksonville Jaguars, and some very shady goings on with abuse of public money for the building of the stadium I think.

Not a very positive history at all.

sisu go home

Jul 20, 2013
What history is this?

The one you can google and read numerous fan's positive comments. While you're at it, why not try doing that with Sisu and see how they compare? :whistle:

It was his dad who had a minority interest in the Jacksonville Jaguars, and some very shady goings on with abuse of public money for the building of the stadium I think.

Not a very positive history at all.

Where did you get that information cos I couldn't find anything but positive comments from fans? Also, his dad and him are part of the same company, The Haskell Company.

Honestly? You honestly think he wouldn't do better than Sisu baring in mind we'd be playing in Coventry this weekend?

lordsummerisle

Mar 19, 2011
Birmingham
http://www.altweeklies.com/aan/pape...ity-to-obtain-public-records/Story?oid=607781

***** The key to bringing an NFL team to town was a new stadium.

The city agreed to renovate the old Gator Bowl, transforming it into an NFL-quality facility. After making this pledge, the first thing the city did was divest itself of any project oversight. A 1993 lease agreement between the city and the Jacksonville Jaguars, Inc. (then known as Touchdown Jacksonville) gave the Jaguars "the exclusive and unconditional right to control the project site, and to select and enter into contracts with any and all contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, vendors ... or individuals."

The agreement allowed the Jaguars to make all decisions on the renovation, and only obligated the city to finance it.

Unfortunately, as the project progressed, the city's burden kept growing. In April 1990, the Jaguars promised an NFL-quality stadium for between $20 million and $50 million. In November 1990, they said it would take $60 million -- "Not a nickel more," according to Jags partner Tom Petway. By March 1993, Jags President David Selden said the cost would be closer to $80 million. Three months later, Jaguars majority owner Wayne Weaver said it would be $100 million.

The final lease agreement put the price tag at $121 million, in a deal that obligated the city to spend an additional $29 million on improvements around the stadium, including parking and a practice field. But the lease was soon amended, in February 1995, increasing the base contract cost to $124 million. A third amendment hiked it to $144 million. (City bonds sold to finance the project added another $200 million in interest payments.) The Jaguars agreed to pay just $20 million of this, in payments spread out over 30 years.

The taxpaying public had reason to wonder how, and how wisely, their hard-earned dollars were spent -- not least because the team decided to give the lucrative project to a company owned by an early Jaguars partner. Preston Haskell's The Haskell Company (as part of the joint venture Haskell/Huber, Hunt & Nichols) won the contract without submitting a competitive bid, even though state law requires taxpayer-financed projects exceeding $200,000 to be publicly bid. (City law requires competitive bids for any project over $12,000.) State law also requires design-build firms like Haskell to provide a guaranteed maximum price when working on taxpayer-financed projects -- something that clearly didn't happen.

Haskell was also legally prohibited by both state and local law from working on the project. Florida Statute 287-057 (18) prohibits a person involved in the drafting of a project to later receive a contract for that project. State law is echoed by Jacksonville ordinance 89-1087, which was coincidentally included in the 25 boxes of data. Signed by then-Council President Eric Smith and Mayor Ed Austin, the ordinance states, "A design criteria professional who has been selected to prepare the design criteria package shall not be eligible to render services under a design-build contract executed pursuant to the design criteria package." Since Preston Haskell, as a Jaguars partner, was involved in the design and cost estimates of the Gator Bowl renovation starting in 1990, the awarding of the renovation contract to his company violated both the state statute and the city ordinance.

The dubious nature of the deal gave Jacksonville residents a reason to be curious about the renovation contract. But they also had a right to see the document, according to Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes, which governs public records. The lease agreement between the city and the Jaguars acknowledged this right, guaranteeing the city and its taxpayers "reasonable access to all renovation project information, including but not limited to financial, technical and computer data."

Despite that "guarantee," when Folio Weekly requested a copy of the contract in March 2004, the city refused. Initially, city procurement officials said they couldn't find the document. They later changed their story, saying that since the Jaguars and the Haskell Company were both private entities, the agreement between them was also private: Neither taxpayers nor city officials were entitled to see it.

Last edited:

dadgad

Jul 1, 2011
Appleton is a stooge, his hands tied and an unenviable job.
Some would say he had a responsibility to make the best decision for the business going forward.
He, more than anyone, will be painfully aware that he has utterly failed in this regard.

Ripbuster

Feb 26, 2013
His bid was worth less than the 26p in the £ that SISU offered, that's how.

With all due respect,Haskell was bidding blind and didn't know the contents of what he was bidding for,SISU on the other hand did.

I'm expecting him to attend the Ricoh tomorrow..:eek:

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
His bid was worth less than the 26p in the £ that SISU offered, that's how.

Bit unfair that. The debt to Sisu was in the tens of millions, and at the time it looked like it only held the golden share. Only one party was ever going to win a bidding war.

Haskell only wants the land around the Ricoh, I like his bid more than the others due to the fan ownership element and the fact he's been relatively detailed compared to Sisu or Byng.

I'd still rather keep our options open for someone with a clear sustainable vision for the club though.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
The one you can google and read numerous fan's positive comments. While you're at it, why not try doing that with Sisu and see how they compare? :whistle:

I found out more info about SISU than most when they came in. I had my ways... If only I still had that access now eh? Could be very handy indeed...

Just nobody chose to listen. And, in fact, insulted me repeatedly. Sound familiar?

Meanwhile, information on Haskell is thin on the ground. Limited in fact, neither good nor bad.

He is a nobody, with fleeting references here and there that hint at things with no solid evidence to make a conclusion one way or another.

Apart from ACL's preferred administrator casting doubt on his wherewithal to buy both club and stadium, his failed attempts to buy other clubs (worrying parallels with SISU that. A club, a club, my kingdom for a club! Add to that switching evil hedge fund for evil property developer rings alarm bells I'd want assuaging)...

And his unfortunate association with the failures of the past.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
I'd still rather keep our options open for someone with a clear sustainable vision for the club though.

Options open would indeed be a wonderful thing. Somebody untainted by association with the wreckages of the past, somebody who there is little choice but to give the benefit of the doubt to, as they are not involved in any way with the catastrophic mismanagement of our club at any stage in previous years.

Last edited:

Paxman II

Mar 16, 2011
Cotswolds
As I understood the greatest bid was by far Otium's? So beggars the question why the Hoffman/Elloitt backed Haskell bid was so poor? Guilty perhaps of collusion with ACL in attempting to subvert the process and grab the club on the cheap? I always suspect this was their failed attempt personally. that is when everything then got very bitter.

lordsummerisle

Mar 19, 2011
Birmingham
As I understood the greatest bid was by far Otium's? So beggars the question why the Hoffman/Elloitt backed Haskell bid was so poor? Guilty perhaps of collusion with ACL in attempting to subvert the process and grab the club on the cheap? I always suspect this was their failed attempt personally. that is when everything then got very bitter.

Try to distress a company to get it on the cheap?

Disgraceful behaviour!

Users who are viewing this thread