Identity theft - "it'll never happen to me" (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

Never thought it would ever happen to me but someone has, or is trying to, do me over. I don't live in the UK anymore (haven't for about 4 years) but my parents got a letter through the post from Companies House with confirmation that I have been set up as a director for a brand new company that i've never heard of and had no part of. Pretty scary stuff really as it's at parents address and obviously the intend would be to rip people off in my name or even apply for loans/financing in my name.

I called the action fraud hotline (24 hour which was helpful) and told them the whole deal and got a reference number. Then emailed companies house too and let them know and provided the reference number.

Checked my credit score on clearscore and others and i've seen a tonne of "soft searches" for random companies i've never heard of that seem to be credit providers. I got extremely nervous at this but i do understand that these can come on your report pretty easily from things like clearscore scouting the market on your behalf (although not convinced it's not something more sinister).

I also registered with CIFAS for extra security requirements for any new credit which should stop anything getting opened without me being contacted.

I don't really know how this happened either which is the more scary thing - my email address is secure and i'm logged out on all devices apart from the ones i use. Someone must have somehow got their hands on some information that you are needed to provide in order to set yourself up as a Director for the business. This from gov.uk:

1666139162961.png

Scary stuff. Anyone been through anything similar? Any advice?

Hoping no loans have been taken out in my name - the advice from the action fraud hotline was to just keep monitoring and if anything dodgy comes up then contact the lender and provide them with my reference number and they should remove the account.

Watch out people...never thought it would happen to me

Otis

Sorry to hear, Robbie and yes. I had someone trying to steal my identity too.

I had lots of loan applications taken out in my name. Luckily all of them were stopped by my bank. Lots of soft searches too.

In fact that's the third time it's happened. Bloody annoying. it was happening over quite a few weeks, the last time, with people trying to get money in my name.

I just got in touch with everyone. Banks, action fraud all the loan companies etc. Not sure there was much else that could be done.

Good luck. Hope it's all stopped now for you. 🤞

Grendel

I assume you’ve filled out the forms to “resign” as a director

JAM See

It can happen to anyone - apparently someone is posing as Ireland’s all-time record goal scorer on a football message board and has posted in their name more than 6000 times.
To be fair to him, ever since he was a kid he's wanted to post on SBT. This is a dream come true.

SAJ

I downloaded the form but I’m waiting to hear what CH advise because I don’t want to do anything that would be seen to validate the position/company…
Robbie same thing happened to me about 10 months ago.
Phone Companies House don’t wait on a response from an email. Tell them everything that had happened they will then set the wheels in motion to get the company struck off. They will send papers to your address to confirm you are not a Director. The process lasts about 10 weeks but in the end the company is struck off.

SAJ

I downloaded the form but I’m waiting to hear what CH advise because I don’t want to do anything that would be seen to validate the position/company…
I do have my own Company which was my greatest concern as it has been trading for 13 years and has been profitable for the last 11. My concern was that they would try to link the false company with my own company.

robbiekeane

Robbie same thing happened to me about 10 months ago.
Phone Companies House don’t wait on a response from an email. Tell them everything that had happened they will then set the wheels in motion to get the company struck off. They will send papers to your address to confirm you are not a Director. The process lasts about 10 weeks but in the end the company is struck off.
Turns out I need a fucking court order because I’ve been listed as a person of significant control

fuck sake

nicksar

A good few years ago i went to Prague for a long weekend,Wife's purse pickpocketed on the way from the Airport....had to use my bank card for everything,that got cloned and when we got home my account was wiped out with multiple cash withdrawals in various cities in Italy!!!...my monthly salary was due to be paid a day or so later and they plundered that within an hour....all sorted fairly quickly by Lloyds.
Hope you get things resolved quickly @robbiekeane .

Grendel

Turns out I need a fucking court order because I’ve been listed as a person of significant control

fuck sake

I don’t get that - I resigned as a director of significant control - my accountant did it for me in a day and then the company was struck off shortly after

SAJ

fuck sake
DM me a number and I’ll call you tomorrow. I’ll get my papers out. I didn’t get a court order and was named as a person of significant control.
fuck sake

fuck sake
fuck sake

Sick Boy

If you don’t have one, get an account for software that monitors for your information on the dark web.

Users who are viewing this thread