I don't like Ricketts, oh no (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Hill's Chin

There seems to be a prevailing view that Ricketts is likely to be our next manager. Presumably for the sole reason that he would be a cheap option. In my view, Ricketts is definitely not what we need in League 2. I want to see a manager with experience of League 2 or the National League who has done well at that level. I want to see someone who is hungry and is not associated with the frankly disastrous last few years.

Ricketts in my view showed very little in the way of hunger or leadership during his time as captain and he has zero managerial experience. He also has no experience of League 2 or the National League and has been closely associated with this appalling season.

If it's all about being the cheapest option let's just recruit a random pedestrian walking on the Stoney Stanton Road and be done with it.

I don't like Ricketts, oh no.

NorthernWisdom

There seems to be a prevailing view that Ricketts is likely to be our next manager. Presumably for the sole reason that he would be a cheap option. In my view, Ricketts is definitely not what we need in League 2. I want to see a manager with experience of League 2 or the National League who has done well at that level. I want to see someone who is hungry and is not associated with the frankly disastrous last few years.

Ricketts in my view showed very little in the way of hunger or leadership during his time as captain and he has zero managerial experience. He also has no experience of League 2 or the National League and has been closely associated with this appalling season.

If it's all about being the cheapest option let's just recruit a random pedestrian walking on the Stoney Stanton Road and be done with it.

I agree with the general point, mind, so have a like
tophat.gif

NorthernWisdom

Don't want Slade or Ricketts - they've both been part of this truly awful season
So we start yet again with a different philosophy, and change everything wholesale from a standing start?

As a leftfield choice, Gregor Rioch worked with half the first team squad when they were in the youth team, so how about him...? No first team experience, but knows the shambles of a club, and knows the players to a degree.

wingy

'The whole day-ay down'.

NortonSkyBlue

Don't want Slade or Ricketts - they've both been part of this truly awful season
Come on, I know we love the blame game but you can't blame Ricketts, maybe if he had been playing yes,
however he shouldn't get the managers job IMO.
This job will be about changing a culture at the club and he just can't do that as he is associated with it.

ajsccfc

You've had that thread title ready to go just waiting for a reason to use it, haven't you?

I'd agree with the sentiment, someone with any kind of track record of relative success is what I'd want. Couldn't give a shit about the style of football at this point.

NorthernWisdom

someone with any kind of track record of relative success is what I'd want.
So why do we write off the bloke who's here, who walked into a shambles, and who actually has one of the better track records out there of firefighting with terrible clubs who are gone to shit?

Why do we go for the easy route of blaming the manager, yet again, and not acknowledge that's the easy way out to do so?

Surely every manager deserves a full season to see what they can do, rather than being instantly judged? All the more so when they take us to Wembley for the first time in 30 years...

ajsccfc

He's only here until the summer as it stands so I'm basing it on the assumption that he's not hanging round past then.

NortonSkyBlue

So why do we write off the bloke who's here, who walked into a shambles, and who actually has one of the better track records out there of firefighting with terrible clubs who are gone to shit?

Why do we go for the easy route of blaming the manager, yet again, and not acknowledge that's the easy way out to do so?

Surely every manager deserves a full season to see what they can do, rather than being instantly judged? All the more so when they take us to Wembley for the first time in 30 years...
Of course its all about opinions and I certainly respect your POV. I have not judged Slade on results nor performances( I have seen two of his games as manager) but on whether he has affected any change at the club that would offer hope for the future and I just can't see any green shoots of optimism that can be attributed to him.
Wembley is a red herring, yes he is taking us to Wembley but that is not a reason to keep him. Its the cherry but where is the cake?

NorthernWisdom

Of course its all about opinions and I certainly respect your POV. I have not judged Slade on results nor performances( I have seen two of his games as manager) but on whether he has affected any change at the club that would offer hope for the future and I just can't see any green shoots of optimism that can be attributed to him.
Wembley is a red herring, yes he is taking us to Wembley but that is not a reason to keep him. Its the cherry but where is the cake?
Well my argument would be that the summer is the time when a manager can put their stamp on things nowadays, especially with transfer windows affecting recruitment.

When he came in, he did exactly what was wanted - got rid of the deadwood loanees, and brought us experience into the defence in the likes of Clarke and Foley. Clarke especially was held up to be a decent signing.

Ultimately, however, it's been obvious since about half a dozen games in we've been shafted this season. Where I would blame Slade/the board is the short termism that brings us Yakubu etc. The brave thing to do would have been to write this season off, play the players who are likely to be here next season, and toughen them up a bit if little else. As it is, we've tried sticking plasters over gaping wounds.

Otis

He's only here until the summer as it stands so I'm basing it on the assumption that he's not hanging round past then.
My thinking too.

I have only called for Slade to go based on definitely being relegated and him definitely not staying past May.

mrtrench

I got a new job once, managing a team that was under-performing (not football - but I believe there are parallels). It was an internal transfer within the company as I'd done well with another team - one I'd built myself over three or so years. The first thing I did was determine a plan to turn it around. The previous guy had employed loads of expensive consultancies who didn't appear to produce very much or care about what they were doing. There was a load of bureaucracy but no delivery. I made a list of hires we needed and proved that we would even save money by releasing the consultants. My boss was in New York; he listened to my proposal and sat on it. Three months later he was fired. His boss acknowledged my plan but said he wanted to let the new guy decide.

Six months passed before they hired a new guy. My team was still performing badly - one of my managers even started trying to unsettle the team and criticised me to them (he was hired by the guy before me and God he loved his bureaucracy). I wanted to get rid, but NY wouldn't let me do anything.

Within a month of the new guy arriving in NY he fired me.

EDIT: One more point - not really anything to do with our situation but I'm still bitter about it even though it was nearly 20 years ago. My new boss waited until I went on holiday and then phoned me several times for hours, picking my brains on the programmes of work we had in flight. After I'd told him everything - that's when he fired me - over the phone whilst I was sat on the balcony on holiday working whilst my family was at the pool. Classy.

Last edited:

covcity4life

So we start yet again with a different philosophy, and change everything wholesale from a standing start?

As a leftfield choice, Gregor Rioch worked with half the first team squad when they were in the youth team, so how about him...? No first team experience, but knows the shambles of a club, and knows the players to a degree.
We cant keep this current philosophy surely?

Users who are viewing this thread