Match Thread Huddersfield (H) Mon 25/09 (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Agreed. Wing backs are a combination of defensive and attack. If you can’t defend then you’re no wing back!

By this logic we haven’t had wingbacks for years as most of the could either not defend or not attack.

shmmeee

Honestly feel Robins has to ditch the wing back setup its not working

Footballs evolving away from it also

For me with the players we've got i think we need a kindof 4 2 3 1

GKWilson
RB Latibeaudiere
CB Thomas
CB Kitching
LB DaSilva
CDM Kelly
CM Allen
CAM Ayari
CAM Tats
CAM Palmer
ST Godden

Thing is a modern back four works a lot like a three anyway with the FB moving into midfield. I really don’t think with a bit of tactical nous it’s beyond us.

covcity4life

Think ayari looks rly good and would like to take the risk and start him in either CM behind Palmer or as AM with Allen as the CM

Wouldn't mind seeing what lati is like at rWB and bring Thomas back in as RCB

clint van damme

Think ayari looks rly good and would like to take the risk and start him in either CM behind Palmer or as AM with Allen as the CM

I'd bring Ayari in for Palmer, he's improving every game and after Palmers performance Tuesday I'd take a gamble on him starting over Palmer.

CCFC54321

GKWilson
RB Latibeaudiere
CB Thomas
CB Kitching
LB DaSilva
CDM Kelly
CM Allen
CAM Ayari
CAM Tats
CAM Palmer
ST Godden
I agree a change in formation or a plan B or C is needed. We are so predictable now.

shmmeee

This is why I favour a flat three. Allen Ayari and Eccles/Kelly. All have short comings but between them you’ve got energy vision and defensive ability.

covcity4life

GKWilson
RB Latibeaudiere
CB Thomas
CB Kitching
LB DaSilva
CDM Kelly
CM Allen
CAM Ayari
CAM Tats
CAM Palmer
ST Godden
What he needs to do is sub wing backs.

Inzaghi in Italy subs both wing backs every game usually around 60-70 min mark.

It's such a intense position yet we just ran MVE into ground so soon.

Bidwell and BNC as an example coming on for 20-30 every game may have stopped us showing tiredness towards end of games

Boicey

What he needs to do is sub wing backs.

Inzaghi in Italy subs both wing backs every game usually around 60-70 min mark.

It's such a intense position yet we just ran MVE into ground so soon.

Bidwell and BNC as an example coming on for 20-30 every game may have stopped us showing tiredness towards end of games
It's an intense position if they bomb forward a lot. Ours don't.

ccfc1234

It's an intense position if they bomb forward a lot. Ours don't.
I remember the performance of Giles against us in the second leg of the play-off semi final. He must have created 15 really attacking situations for his team and his crosses were nearly all dangerous. We really should be expecting one of our wing backs to be able to create attacking chances and put the ball into dangerous areas. While I think Saka lacks defensive ability, it was quite noticeable how much more intent we had on Tuesday when he came on and he did get at least 4 or 5 crosses into the box and one nearly resulted in Jay DS having a tap in.

I am not sure how proficient Hudderfield are down their left but if they are no particular threat, at home, I would be tempted to play Saka at RWB and ask Lati at RCB to be a bit extra vigilant if Saka is caught up the pitch.

fatso

Not sure you can blame Sakamoto too much for the 2nd against Cardiff. If your wing back is back in the box competing for a cross something’s gone wrong with the system.
Not blame him ???? Really????
If you ball watch while your man jogs past you and has a free tap in you need to be hung out to dry, he let his team mates down by not doing the basics.

There seems to be some fundamental misunderstanding of what the role of a wingback is on here.
Allow me to enlighten you, when your team don't have possession, the first and most important job of a wingback is to DEFEND!

Boicey

If you ball watch while your man jogs past you and has a free tap in you need to be hung out to dry, he let his team mates down by not doing the basics.

There seems to be some fundamental misunderstanding of what the role of a wingback is on here.
Allow me to enlighten you, when your team don't have possession, the first and most important job of a wingback is to DEFEND!
The only problem with that is Sakamoto isn't a wing back and I very much doubt he wants to become one.
Blame the manager.

CCFC54321

Well said

CCFC54321

The only problem with that is Sakamoto isn't a wing back and I very much doubt he wants to become one.
Blame the manager.
I keep saying it and I’m not the only one I speak to says the same that Sakamoto isn’t a wing back suited for the championship. He may of got away with it in Japan and in the Belgium intergalactic leagues but not here over 40 odd games.

Robins knows that as now I’d guess.

skyblue025

Robins knew all along he wasn't a wing back. When we signed him he said " An exciting attacking midfielder " he might of hopes with coaching he could play wing back but clearly he didn't sign him as one.
The lad has made a mistake allowing his man inside him to score. If he's played as a wing back again maybe he will learn from it and it won't happen again. He certainly isn't the only player to make a mistake that the opposition score from this season.

Boicey

I keep saying it and I’m not the only one I speak to says the same that Sakamoto isn’t a wing back suited for the championship. He may of got away with it in Japan and in the Belgium intergalactic leagues but not here over 40 odd games.

Robins knows that as now I’d guess.
You’re one of the more tedious trolls. On ignore for making me yawn. Do better.

Last edited:

skybluecam

It’s not 1980 any more where everyone plays 44 fackin 2 with player roles set in concrete.

You can get away with playing wingbacks who don’t defend much if your team is set up right. Look at TAA for Liverpool who plays in a 4 yet is one of their main creative outlets and is limited defensively.

If Sakamoto plays RWB then the right sided CB needs to be instructed to cover him defensively.

fernandopartridge

Watch the goal back.

For some reason Fadz calls Lati across to mark their #12, which leaves Sakamoto to cover Grant.

Fadz and Lati end up a couple of yards apart both covering the same man while the cross bypasses them.

Grant was their left sided striker, he is Sakamoto's man in that scenario. You can't have big gaps between your centre backs for players to exploit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

skybluecam

Grant was their left sided striker, he is Sakamoto's man in that scenario. You can't have big gaps between your centre backs for players to exploit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I don’t agree. If Sakamoto is picking up that man he’s going to be pinned in his own half all game.

At the beginning of the play Lati is covering Grant, but gets told to pass him on.

theferret

Looking like it'll be a pretty sparse crowd. Surprised how many season ticket holders I know who are sitting this one out. Imagine the official crowd with be ok, over 20K, but doubt there will be more than 16K in there. Should be in the pub now looking forward to this one. Fucking sky.

procdoc

I really want to see Robins try something different, especially now MVE is out for a while. I’d also throw Collins in now as he is meant to be better at distributing the ball.
Collins
LatI Fadz Binks Dasilva
Kelly Eccles
Sakamoto Ayari Wright
Godden

Subs: Wilson, Thomas, Kitching, Bidwell, Allen, Simms, Palmer, Obikwu, Rus

Sick Boy

Robins knew all along he wasn't a wing back. When we signed him he said " An exciting attacking midfielder " he might of hopes with coaching he could play wing back but clearly he didn't sign him as one.
The lad has made a mistake allowing his man inside him to score. If he's played as a wing back again maybe he will learn from it and it won't happen again. He certainly isn't the only player to make a mistake that the opposition score from this season.
Yeah it was weird to single him out when actual defenders have made worse mistakes this season and not been thrown under the bus.

clint van damme

Looking like it'll be a pretty sparse crowd. Surprised how many season ticket holders I know who are sitting this one out. Imagine the official crowd with be ok, over 20K, but doubt there will be more than 16K in there. Should be in the pub now looking forward to this one. Fucking sky.

Think a lot of people will sack it off next season when the new TV deal kicks in.
Lad at my place is a ST holder who works lates, he missing so many games it's ridiculous.

SBT

And not to beat a dead horse, but if you look at van Ewijks positions on transfermarkt for this season it has him playing RM for us, because that’s what it counts a wingback as.
So because transfermarkt doesn’t make a distinction between RM and RWB, that means they’re actually the same position?

slyblue57

A midfield of Allen,Kelly,Eccles is going to create absolutely nothing sadly.
I can my see many teams worrying about them cutting through balls.
Sadly that's all we 've got.
Our only creativity is Palmer whose form has dropped off a cliff and Atari who I do by think is trusted as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread