HOW MANY WORLD CUP TEAMS. (1 Viewer)

hotrod

How many teams competing in this years World Cup are fielding a team comprising entirely of players who play in there own National league apart form England?

Regards.

Gazolba

Russia?

Otis

Me misreading the thread.

giphy.gif

ajsccfc

England are the only one this time. Italia 90 is the only time we've had more than 2 or 3 play in a different league, I guess due to the European club ban.

Grendel

England are the only one this time. Italia 90 is the only time we've had more than 2 or 3 play in a different league, I guess due to the European club ban.

I think to be honest it’s the lure of premier league wages which dwarf most wages across Europe - unless players are superstar status like Chris Hussey (sorry Gareth Bale) then the rewards at home are better.

tommydazzle

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Southgate had only around a third of the Premiership to choose from for English players such is the influx of foreign players.

Gazolba

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Southgate had only around a third of the Premiership to choose from for English players such is the influx of foreign players.
I'm surprised it was that high. Most of the top teams start only 2-3 English players.
It's even worse for Scottish, Welsh and Irish players, where are they in the Premier League now?
Foreign players are starting to infiltrate the Championship in fair numbers. as well.

tommydazzle

You're right it does seem high. Tried to find out a bit more about this. In the Premiership 8 out of a squad of 25 must be home grown, so that's 32% (around a third) but I suppose that could be a mixture of British players so need to drill down a bit more to find the percentage of English players. Also being in the squad doesn't mean the players are necessarily playing regularly.

The foreign player percentage seems to be around 70% so clubs are definitely maxing out on their allocation rather than investing in home grown talent. Seems a shame that short term fix trumps long term potential especially when you think of the millions spent on players and agents.

NorthernWisdom

I think to be honest it’s the lure of premier league wages which dwarf most wages across Europe - unless players are superstar status like Chris Hussey (sorry Gareth Bale) then the rewards at home are better.
Yup. In the 80s Italy were the big payers, so players aspired to play there. Even Scotland in the form of Rangers could pay more, too!

Unless you've already made it to the natinal side, there's a danger you get forgotten about if you go abroad too.

Users who are viewing this thread