Home fans in South Stand v Preston - Trial Confirmed (2 Viewers)

David O'Day

Agreed but that's the point myself and others are making about the Preston game. You can't judge it off that.

Boro is the best example, it was decent and when it got going was much, much louder.
It was ok at the Boro game, let's not pretend it was a bearpit.

bigfatronssba

I really can’t understand why people are getting annoyed that away fans are where they’ve always been, why the empty seats in between now being given to city fans.

Some of the singers corner lot really do fall into the hierarchical belief that some fans are better than others.

David O'Day

I really can’t understand why people are getting annoyed that away fans are where they’ve always been, why the empty seats in between now being given to city fans.

Some of the singers corner lot really do fall into the hierarchical belief that some fans are better than others.
Some fans are better fans than others though, not because they sit in the corner but to say there are people who are bigger and better cov fans than others is weird.

mmttww

Feels that way. This is a chance to build the choir. Make up your mind time - do you want it to yourself, or do you want more involved? Start chants that aren't full of f-bombs or about penis size and whoever's in 10-12 will get involved.

Calista

Looks to me like we are simply reclaiming a prime part of the Arena for City fans, which can only be a good thing.

At Highfield Road, the away fans were moved to various different parts of the ground over the years. It never stopped the West End being the West End, or prevented the back-and-forth between home and away fans.

Calista

Might there be occasions (cup matches?) when the rules oblige us to allocate more than blocks 6/7/8 to the visitors, and if so could that affect our ability to sell Season Tickets in the rest of the South Stand?

shmmeee

Are people really talking about hamstringing the loudest part of the ground for 23 games because we might get a cup game or two where a few thousand can’t sit in their normal seat?

Calista

Are people really talking about hamstringing the loudest part of the ground for 23 games because we might get a cup game or two where a few thousand can’t sit in their normal seat?
Genuinely not sure what you mean by this, but if a few thousand (presumably ST holders in the South Stand?) can’t sit in their normal seat, where would they be moved to?

Joy Division

ok, they didn't all stand but if you want to play jackanory then crack on mate.

You are just making stuff up to fit your argument, or perhaps your memory has gone a bit it was quite a long time ago now. I was in that block, everyone stood, the atmosphere was decent enough for an early kick off.

I agree I'd rather have the away fans in that block but I'm just calling out the bollocks opinion that only some stood up there.

shmmeee

Genuinely not sure what you mean by this, but if a few thousand (presumably ST holders in the South Stand?) can’t sit in their normal seat, where would they be moved to?

Into the seats that normally get sold to non ST holders…

What I mean is that people are saying they wouldn’t move from SC, or the club shouldn’t sell STs in the south stand because we might have to give a big away allocation in a cup game. But that will mean SC doesn’t move over to next to the away fans for the 23 league games at home and atmosphere will suffer as a result. Seems a silly trade off.

pusbccfc

Maybe consider it this way (and looking beyond this season, which they have to).

If they put home fans in 6/7/8, it effectively extends the main stand (and its atmosphere). By giving 10/11/12/13 to home fans, there’s the potential for the corner atmosphere to extend.

Exactly. The corner has been sold out for years. People who have missed out will have the chance to join it.

Northants Sky Blue

If they put home fans in 6/7/8, it effectively extends the main stand (and its atmosphere). By giving 10/11/12/13 to home fans, there’s the potential for the corner atmosphere to extend.

Expanded Singers or Expanded Prawn Sandwich? No contest

(Im joking- we know some boys have moved ST's to block 3)

But club have now explained why stadium layout means 10-13 can potentially go to home fans.

Which is surely better than filling it with 2000 extra yokels at the Ipswich game for example

Calista

Into the seats that normally get sold to non ST holders…

What I mean is that people are saying they wouldn’t move from SC, or the club shouldn’t sell STs in the south stand because we might have to give a big away allocation in a cup game. But that will mean SC doesn’t move over to next to the away fans for the 23 league games at home and atmosphere will suffer as a result. Seems a silly trade off.
Ah, I see what you are saying. But aren't we heading towards filling the place with STs, in which case there'd be nowhere to move people to if their seats had to be re-allocated to visitors.

I wonder if they have calculated that Block 9 (not mentioned in the club's news release) is big enough to cater for the maximum required away allocation when added to 6/7/8?

Hertsccfc

Ah, I see what you are saying. But aren't we heading towards filling the place with STs, in which case there'd be nowhere to move people to if their seats had to be re-allocated to visitors.

I wonder if they have calculated that Block 9 (not mentioned in the club's news release) is big enough to cater for the maximum required away allocation when added to 6/7/8?
I think they might have to sell some season tickets on the basis that they don't necessarily entitle the owner to home cup tickets. I think this happened in the past at Highfield Road.

Calista

I reckon blocks 6-9 inclusive is 3500+
Will we ever be obliged to give more than that to the away club?

bigfatronssba

I reckon blocks 6-9 inclusive is 3500+
Will we ever be obliged to give more than that to the away club?

15% for FA cup games which is around 4800.

Those people with season tickets there will just have to move.
Other clubs do this all the time

bigfatronssba

Not a hard and fast rule is it, sure I've seen the validity of this in question?

I’ve never seen it confirmed either, but why else did Wolves give us 15%?

shmmeee

This season I think we sold 19k STs before they went off sale or something? It’s quite common not to sell every seat to STs because you want some new fans as well. Not sure what the real numbers are but say there’s 28k “normal” seats, 2.5k to the away side, that’s 25.5k. Maybe sell 22/23k to STs and leave 2.5-3.5k for normal sale/capacity to move for cup games.

bigfatronssba

This season I think we sold 19k STs before they went off sale or something? It’s quite common not to sell every seat to STs because you want some new fans as well. Not sure what the real numbers are but say there’s 28k “normal” seats, 2.5k to the away side, that’s 25.5k. Maybe sell 22/23k to STs and leave 2.5-3.5k for normal sale/capacity to move for cup games.

I think I read that Leicester capped ST sales at 24k so that would be about right

pusbccfc

I've had a think and surely they won't sell STs in the South Stand next season.

What happens if we play someone on a Tuesday night and there's only 20,000 home fans but the away team want 4500.

Are we really going to throw money away like that?

I think we all hope that one day the South Stand becomes the new vocal section but not until we can guarantee at least 25,000 home fans. We're currently 2/3000 below that

pusbccfc

The club need to encourage the singers corner to move over to these new blocks if they stay open next season. It will have a detrimental effect on the atmosphere having 2 half-empty blocks of prawn sandwich eaters between the away fans and our naughty corner.

People will move over if they open it up for STs. The issue then is it leaves huge gaps elsewhere.

bigfatronssba

People will move over if they open it up for STs. The issue then is it leaves huge gaps elsewhere.

Ticket sales will be higher next year, which should fill in the gaps

SBbucks

I've had a think and surely they won't sell STs in the South Stand next season.

What happens if we play someone on a Tuesday night and there's only 20,000 home fans but the away team want 4500.

Are we really going to throw money away like that?

I think we all hope that one day the South Stand becomes the new vocal section but not until we can guarantee at least 25,000 home fans. We're currently 2/3000 below that

Think again! The club have said today that they anticipate opening the south stand to ST sales next season. However I don’t understand why people think thousands from blocks 14-16 will move behind the goal for a worse view. I’m sure some will, but it won’t be a mass migration like some are expecting. I’m guessing the majority are happy where they are and don’t care about being nearer to the away supporters.

pusbccfc

Think again! The club have said today that they anticipate opening the south stand to ST sales next season. However I don’t understand why people think thousands from blocks 14-16 will move behind the goal for a worse view. I’m sure some will, but it won’t be a mass migration like some are expecting. I’m guessing the majority are happy where they are and don’t care about being nearer to the away supporters.

I am certain 80% would move from 15/16 to the corner. The view is better than the corner.

Ultimately, as O'Day is suggesting, the majority want to be near the away fans to improve the atmosphere.

Even if we do get bigger crowds next year, unless we are selling out, limiting away fans to 2500 will be throwing money away.

Users who are viewing this thread