Heat (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

On the plus side, today looks like a day when I can finally leave the sodding doors and windows open. Has nearly finished me off with the opprsession.

A good advert against prison, this and lockdowns!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I keep my thermostat in the coolest room in the house and it's not dipped below 23 for ages.

Biggest problem I was having was a really sore throat, then decided to fill some old yoghurt pots with water and put them on the windowsills to raise the humidity. Worked a treat!

Sky_Blue_Daz

had about 2&half hours sleep last night, todays early shift has been brought to you but coffee and pepsi

Terry Gibson's perm

A little bit of rain this morning but just cloudy now. We will soon have a couple of days of rain and people will be saying I can’t remember the last sunny day we had.
With the price of gas this winter I would be happy if the warm weather lasted until February that would teach the greedy utilities.

Sbarcher

Had a call from my wife mid-morning. In Oxfordshire, half the people in A&E across their hospitals are there due to breathing difficulties caused by the heat. So far, didn't think it was anywhere near last year's highs.

skybluetony176

Had a call from my wife mid-morning. In Oxfordshire, half the people in A&E across their hospitals are there due to breathing difficulties caused by the heat. So far, didn't think it was anywhere near last year's highs.
Pollen count must be bad this year. My hay fever is worse than I can ever remember this year, including making me wheeze. That might have something to do with it too.

Evo1883

I don't suffer with hayfever normally but I've a slight tight chest and burning eyes ..

NorthernWisdom

Wife is heavily pregnant, main bedroom has the immersion heater in it(!) so spent this morning hauling everything out the spare room to put the bed in there instead.

Of course now I've done it, it's the spare room that feels hotter...

shmmeee

Evo1883

Im not sure what he’s trying to say here. The graph is of SST anomalies, so random localised increases in temperature away from expected trends. Weather, not climate.

This explains its mostly driven by winds: Unusual Ocean Anomalies are being detected in the North Atlantic, impacting the Atlantic storm systems as we head into the Summer season

Looking at the account the guy seems to be a bog standard Twitter climate denier.
Sounded really worrying , glad it's not .. cheers

skybluetony176

Sounded really worrying , glad it's not .. cheers
These climate change nutters cling onto any half truths. The one I regularly hear is that the earth constantly shifts on it axis which is causing global warming. It’s a half truth. The planet doesn’t have a fixed axis that much is true, IIRC it constantly shifts a total of 4 degrees, 2 degrees either way of a centre point. It’s also true that it’s shifting in the direction that means the northern hemisphere should be warming slightly, hence the artic circle is moving North at the moment.

2 problems with this half truth. Firstly it takes millions of years to go from the zero point to the furthest point on the movement, global warming in the northern hemisphere is happening at a far faster rate than tilt on the axis. Secondly the old each action should have an equal and opposite reaction rule. The southern hemisphere should be cooling at the same rate as the northern is warming, it isn’t. In fact it’s warming at exactly the same rate as the northern hemisphere.

Evo1883

These climate change nutters cling onto any half truths. The one I regularly hear is that the earth constantly shifts on it axis which is causing global warming. It’s a half truth. The planet doesn’t have a fixed axis that much is true, IIRC it constantly shifts a total of 4 degrees, 2 degrees either way of a centre point. It’s also true that it’s shifting in the direction that means the northern hemisphere should be warming slightly, hence the artic circle is moving North at the moment.

2 problems with this half truth. Firstly it takes millions of years to go from the zero point to the furthest point on the movement, global warming in the northern hemisphere is happening at a far faster rate than tilt on the axis. Secondly the old each action should have an equal and opposite reaction rule. The southern hemisphere should be cooling at the same rate as the northern is warming, it isn’t. In fact it’s warming at exactly the same rate as the northern hemisphere.

The same thing being said by non climate deniers ?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The same thing being said by non climate deniers ?

Not sure if they're trying to use it to disprove stuff.

As far as I can see all they're claiming is that this is an event that should only happen once every quarter of a million years. As we are now having 'once in a hundred years' events every few years and 'once in a thousand years' events every decade, that would mean a once in a quarter of a million year event occurs every 2,500 years. Which in geological time is nothing.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it would be interesting if that graph showed which years the lines beneath related to, even if split into decades. If, as I suspect it would, showed that there was a general upward trend it still shows climate change and global warming.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I'm not a climate change denier, but there is definitely the potential for at least some of the change to be related to cyclical events.

But it's also a vicious circle. Assuming that the vast majority of greenhouse gas emissions have been a result of human activity, the rise in atmospheric and especially sea temperatures causes an increase in the amount of carbon dioxide and methane (a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2) that is released from the depths of the oceans, leading to increased atmospheric temperatures, and so ad infinitum.
In fact, i have just read that water vapour is the most dominant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere - that is also going to increase in proportion to rising temperatures.
We're all doomed!!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm not a climate change denier, but there is definitely the potential for at least some of the change to be related to cyclical events.

But it's also a vicious circle. Assuming that the vast majority of greenhouse gas emissions have been a result of human activity, the rise in atmospheric and especially sea temperatures causes an increase in the amount of carbon dioxide and methane (a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2) that is released from the depths of the oceans, leading to increased atmospheric temperatures, and so ad infinitum.
In fact, i have just read that water vapour is the most dominant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere - that is also going to increase in proportion to rising temperatures.
We're all doomed!!
I try not to think about it too much, as it's far too depressing.

Sbarcher

We're all doomed!!
Do you think we'll be able to benefit from the PL package before it happens?

SkyBlueSoul

Got bored working from home and roasting. I work in the lounge with an east-facing bay window that gets the sun from first thing till about 2, so last night I covered the main window with tin foil and the side ones with blankets. It's open plan with the kitchen so that window has some insulation that came with a delivery and a bit more tin foil. Currently about 2°C cooler than before.

Sick Boy

We're all doomed!!
In Italy there are a lot more extreme weather events that didn’t happen previously that are likely linked to climate change.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Got bored working from home and roasting. I work in the lounge with an east-facing bay window that gets the sun from first thing till about 2, so last night I covered the main window with tin foil and the side ones with blankets. It's open plan with the kitchen so that window has some insulation that came with a delivery and a bit more tin foil. Currently about 2°C cooler than before.
Bet that looks great from outside - the look you're going for is student digs-cum-cannabis farm presumably?? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread