Has seeing the lads play made you more or less optimistic about the season (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Just watched the extended highlights and yup plenty to be encouraged by

Even godden. Yes he's going through a bad run and I don't want him as a starter much but if he plays alot he's still gonna score goals in this team

Keep hamer , add 2-3 more players and we can get autos

Last edited:

Offhegoes

I was slightly fearful yesterday that Leicester would show their "Premiership Class" which the Sky commentary team kept blabbing on about, but after the first 15 mins which was a bit nervy, we controlled the game, and looked dangerous on the counter. All of the new signings looked really good that started (and Wright off the bench). MVE looks like he needs work, but not easy coming on for your debut in that game. He's an attacking wing back and we were defending a lead. Very un-Robins like change that, but perhaps he wanted that 2nd goal to kill them off.

Great_Expectations

Definitely more so.

Mentioned it on the match thread, but we showed signs we’re definitely going to play football more this year. Yet when we went direct we still looked a threat, despite having no Gyokeres. The ability to adjust how we play and hit teams with both styles is a big plus.

Signings are all better than those who have gone (bar Vik) and there were more than enough positive signs yesterday than a few games in when players are fitter and gelled more as team we’ll absolutely dominate games.

Re Hamer, it’s not as binary as if he stays = good, goes = bad. He’s absolutely pivotal and a big loss, but if he does I highly doubt MR will be happy with Kelly and Eccles as his replacement. We won’t get another Hamer, but we’ll get another player of quality and we’ll adapt.

Snoogola

My opinion for what it’s worth.

We played one of the, if not the, top teams in the league and more than held our own. On another day, we would draw or even win that match.

Defence looked fairly solid to me and, I believe Thomas is going to be better than McNally this season. The fact that we own him and he’s not a loan is an added bonus.

Godden’s finishing was not great and wasn’t all through the pre-season from what I saw. Robins seems to think that he can fix that and I really hope he does because he’s getting into some really great scoring positions

I’m excited to see Wright play. He came on and immediately had a chance which was a couple of inches away from being a “worldie”. It’s a shame Hamer came off at the same time because I think with his service from midfield, it would have been a different final 20 mins.

Midfield needs work, especially if Hamer is going. KP was solid. Sheaf, less so but not so poor that I’m concerned.

Would have liked to have seen more of Sakamoto. I think he has the skills to change the narrative of a game but came on too late to make a difference.

In short. I am more positive today than I was on Saturday, especially having seen Leeds and Southampton play. I know it’s early but I saw some of the Middlesbrough game too and I don’t think they are going to be the same threat that they were last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covboy9

Optimistic

few lads carrying a bit of timber fitness work needed

palmer strikes me as a 25games a season tops player

robbiekeane

Just watched the extended highlights and yup plenty to be encouraged by

Even godden. Yes he's going through a bad run and I don't want him as a starter much but if he plays alot he's still gonna score goals in this team

Keep hamer , add 2-3 more players and we can get autos
Can’t believe some of goddens misses…the one where Wright hit the bar I was sure he would at least hit the target

covcity4life

Can’t believe some of goddens misses…the one where Wright hit the bar I was sure he would at least hit the target
Yeah it's a shame. Robins seemed bit annoyed at his mishit from the low corner too.

It's not his fault that some city fans make out like he is Gary linekar mind you. People expect him to score 8/10 chances as if he has finishing super powers or something.

He's a decent starter and a great rotational option imo. No need for hyperbole.

tisza

Team has to settle in - particularly upfront. Leicester should be challenging for automatic with that squad so hardly a disasterous result.
Started last season with only 1 win and 4 draws in first 10 games & couldn't score a goal so hardly panic stations yet.

nunchuckas

Strange one with Godden really, his finishing use to be top draw.
I wonder if his confidence and rhythm has taken a knock after going from being our number one 'bagsman' to being on the pitch purely to selflessly create space for Vik and even have penalties taken off him.

Missing some of the chances he has in preseason and yesterday, and even missing a penalty in preseason are so out of character for him.

He's experienced and seems to be an assured guy, but all strikers rely on confidence and rhythm. I have no doubts he'll find some form at some point this season when given a run of games.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We have many new players in and there is always that beginning part where it is going to take a bit of work to get everyone ready and on the same wave length. You also have to bear in mind that many of those new players haven't even played a preseason game for us.

As a starting point it was absolutely fine. We could have won that game easily if we had been a little bit sharper, I guess that is the most frustrating thing about yesterday. Looking forward to the next few weeks though, and watching the new lads get more game time. I think we will be a really strong team before too long.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Team has to settle in - particularly upfront. Leicester should be challenging for automatic with that squad so hardly a disasterous result.
Started last season with only 1 win and 4 draws in first 10 games & couldn't score a goal so hardly panic stations yet.

Agree, it's almost a new team, got to be given time to gel, give it 10 game's and then see.

Covcraig@bury

On the whole we played very good , if we had taken our chances we could have walked away with 3 point easily. Lesta are nothing special and I think they will struggle for automatic promotion.
some of our football yesterday was sublime to watch so I think give the new boys a couple or so games to gel and onwards and upwards. MR I think is building something very special with these players so let’s stop having a go and get behind them #PUSB

Happy_Martian

FFS, the comments here are ridiculous. And why are we asking this question after one game ? It's like judging your favourite ice cream by looking at the ingredients. Some things I've read: Thomas lost his man for one of the goals, Milan looked out of his depth, Ellis couldn't hit a barn door etc....

Our starting defence is 3/5ths new (should have been 4/5ths but we played Eccles instead of Saka or Milan), our strike force is 2/3rds fresh in the door. Only the midfield is settled from last season. How on earth can anyone make a solid opinion based on one game ? I'll say this, Wright came on and he'd had ONE training session (officially). He probably didn't even know half his teammates names. Ellis looked out of place but we seemed to be playing him in the same role as Vik and he's not the same style of player. Milan looked nervous and gave the ball away too much but again, he's had 1 weeks training with the team. Does he even fully understand the role he's playing yet ?

People on this forum are jumping to conclusions when they have no actual evidence of what the team will be like. We just lost out to a Prem team in all but position yesterday. The only differences were Dewsbury Hall and that our strikers couldn't see the net to hit it. That's not bad.

The only negative I'll voice this early is Hamer's departure. He's only been in training for a week or two so he was probably knackered and out on his feet. He had to come off. But a partially fit Hamer is still miles better than anyone else we or Leicester had. So we need to worry about the next 4 weeks. If he signs with someone else before then, who have we got to replace him ? Or do we tell him he can go in the Jan window to give us time to find replacements and if offers are there or he can go next season for free ?

The team are not going to get on the same page until a few weeks training and playing together. Better close this thread until game 5 or 6 and then see what folks say.

My opinions. Take them or leave them.

mmttww

FFS, the comments here are ridiculous. And why are we asking this question after one game ? It's like judging your favourite ice cream by looking at the ingredients. Some things I've read: Thomas lost his man for one of the goals, Milan looked out of his depth, Ellis couldn't hit a barn door etc....

Our starting defence is 3/5ths new (should have been 4/5ths but we played Eccles instead of Saka or Milan), our strike force is 2/3rds fresh in the door. Only the midfield is settled from last season. How on earth can anyone make a solid opinion based on one game ? I'll say this, Wright came on and he'd had ONE training session (officially). He probably didn't even know half his teammates names. Ellis looked out of place but we seemed to be playing him in the same role as Vik and he's not the same style of player. Milan looked nervous and gave the ball away too much but again, he's had 1 weeks training with the team. Does he even fully understand the role he's playing yet ?

People on this forum are jumping to conclusions when they have no actual evidence of what the team will be like. We just lost out to a Prem team in all but position yesterday. The only differences were Dewsbury Hall and that our strikers couldn't see the net to hit it. That's not bad.

The only negative I'll voice this early is Hamer's departure. He's only been in training for a week or two so he was probably knackered and out on his feet. He had to come off. But a partially fit Hamer is still miles better than anyone else we or Leicester had. So we need to worry about the next 4 weeks. If he signs with someone else before then, who have we got to replace him ? Or do we tell him he can go in the Jan window to give us time to find replacements and if offers are there or he can go next season for free ?

The team are not going to get on the same page until a few weeks training and playing together. Better close this thread until game 5 or 6 and then see what folks say.

My opinions. Take them or leave them.
PARKLIFE!

shmmeee

Would love to know what goes through his mind
I was slightly fearful yesterday that Leicester would show their "Premiership Class" which the Sky commentary team kept blabbing on about, but after the first 15 mins which was a bit nervy, we controlled the game, and looked dangerous on the counter. All of the new signings looked really good that started (and Wright off the bench). MVE looks like he needs work, but not easy coming on for your debut in that game. He's an attacking wing back and we were defending a lead. Very un-Robins like change that, but perhaps he wanted that 2nd goal to kill them off.

I think the MvE sub was because we were losing Hamer and wanted someone who could carry the ball. Similarly I think Godden stayed on for his work rate.

Snoogola

FFS, the comments here are ridiculous. And why are we asking this question after one game ? It's like judging your favourite ice cream by looking at the ingredients..

I have 2 points to make on this comment.

1 - The OP was asking a question about whether we are more optimistic or not which is not unreasonable. Optimism is a general feeling that can be based on anything from first impressions to detailed analysis.

2 - Rum and Raisin

Happy_Martian

I have 2 points to make on this comment.

1 - The OP was asking a question about whether we are more optimistic or not which is not unreasonable. Optimism is a general feeling that can be based on anything from first impressions to detailed analysis.

2 - Rum and Raisin

1) Fair reply and succinct. But no, I still think it's way too early to be optimistic or pessimistic of our chances based on that one game. We know that is not how our team will play this season. I actually had visions while watching yesterday's game not as our first competitive but as our last preseason one. Too many misplaced passes on both sides, giving the ball away too frequently, the inability to hit the net. Felt to me like that last game against a big side before the actual season begins (I'll get the sarcastic or negative comments about that one, definitely :rolleyes:) One or two newcomers showed signs of being up to it, others showed nervousness. But it's worth watching their body language in the Behind the Scenes video. It's unfair to isolate and just focus on Simms but he looked unsure throughout and didn't appear comfortable or initially what he should be doing, from how the team does warmups to positioning or where his strike partner was. Is that really who he is ? Unlikely.

Does that have an impact on how I feel about the team's chances and how I react to them next week ? No, it shows they're still getting to grips with each other. They are all good footballers, some are internationals, and I'm sure we'll see them gel as the season progresses. As they'll all have had time to train together, the bond the squad had last season will surely be passed on to the new guys. Hence my suggestion to ask again after 6 games when we have seen a team and not just a group of individuals. And then we can start to get worried or excited.

2) 7 out of 10. Have had many an R&R icey and some have been worthy of a return to the stall for seconds. Others have definitely had used a sour rum (could have been vinegar :unsure: or the raisins were off) hence the lower mark. Personally, I'm a man of tradition so Mint and Chocolate Chip or Raspberry Ripple are top 1/1 and a half :p

Hmm. Reading back and I'm definitely into your "detailed analysis" approach. And I really need to find a character limiter for my posts. Sorry for the excessive words @Snoogola 😇 But I promise they are my last in this thread :geek:

Last edited:

Ian1779

Having listened and then seen some brief highlights, I am optimistic that top 6 is a minimum given that we had zero loan signings in our squad yesterday and we have O’Hare to still return, never mind any further signings we may make.
I’ve got a feeling Wright is going to be a stellar signing, better than Simms.

blunted

Don't think the defence is sorted yet and hope its just that they need time to gel. Our left flank was exposed all match. Eccles was playing out of position and along with Fadz looked our best defender. Thomas looked great but made the mistake for the goal which turned the match. Our defence was poor in the early games last season and hope for a repeat of an improvement as we go on. How do you solve a problem like Hamer? Vic like Hamer is impossible to replace (like for like) but there are good players out there if we can achieve a large fee. Simms looked good second half and Hadji is a beast. Godden's movement was exceptional, his finishing less so. Think we should finish anywhere in the top 10 and probably could trouble the top 2 if we can replace Gus, we sort the defence and O'Hare comes back firing,

Hutch11

On the whole we played very good , if we had taken our chances we could have walked away with 3 point easily. Lesta are nothing special and I think they will struggle for automatic promotion.
some of our football yesterday was sublime to watch so I think give the new boys a couple or so games to gel and onwards and upwards. MR I think is building something very special with these players so let’s stop having a go and get behind them #PUSB
This

bradwellskyblues

It's a challenge as it's easy to compare to last season which I personally believe we overachieved in. That being said, when Haji came on, I was excited, Leicester had a great squad today and we made then sweat at times. We will will kick into the groove, we ideally need a season for everyone to get going but it's an exciting prospect that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread