Hamer (10 Viewers)

clint van damme

why would you begrudge Hamer being offered 20k a week? Serious question. End of the day, he’s miles ahead of the rest of the team except Vik. Your best player gets paid the most.

I don't begrudge it, but if it's not affordable I don't want us repeating the same mistakes that have caused the last decade long shitshow

Matt smith

You're missing the point.
Example, Hamer starts badly (and hes had lean spells before), but Allen is scoring and assisting, Goddens banging them in, suddenly their agents are banging on Robins door and so it all escalates.

Our decline was along painful process that went on for over a decade.
I don't want to go back there chasing season or two of success.
If I’m a player I’m not begrudging Gus getting the salary quoted

the best players get paid the most money

Chasing a season or two of success? With that attitude we’ll be going back into league one

long way home

The club will set a cap on wages and ultimately offer that max to players like Hamer. Problem will be other clubs within the league can offer more, never mind those in the prem. Only way round it is to offer bigger bonus on if we gain promotion.

MR would of had knowledge of a pay structure and the minimum budget before he signed his extension. Im sure he will want Hamer to stay but will be happy the club is in a better position than its ever been to improve again. If Hamer wants to leave he will, if he doesn't then the club must stick to the structure and build around our better players.

We will know over the next few weeks how serious we are at going one step further. And until time gives us the answer, its always better to keep your powder dry and trust in MR and his staff. As for Doug he has to be as transparent as he possibly can. His task is to leave the club in a better state than he found it and so far i do see improvements. Still a long way to go but ill give him the benefit of doubt until he gives me a big enough reason not too. I think this summer is MR toughest test yet and Doug"s biggest and most important period since he walked in the door.

Last edited:

clint van damme

If I’m a player I’m not begrudging Gus getting the salary quoted

the best players get paid the most money

Chasing a season or two of success? With that attitude we’ll be going back into league one

But we ended up in League two doing exactly what you're advocating, (an over simplification admittedly).

And I've seen enough from Robins to know we don't need to break the bank to give him a squad he can keep in the championship.

Ccfcisparks

Well that's the thing, none of us Really know if it is or not, if it is, and so is a few others following suit then great, crack on, but let's not start spending money we haven't got if it's not.
It’s not just £20k either, there will be plenty of terms and bonuses incorporated into a new contract which will boost that £20k higher. I agree we should be cautious about setting a new precedent

Matt smith

Well that's the thing, none of us Really know if it is or not, if it is, and so is a few others following suit then great, crack on, but let's not start spending money we haven't got if it's not.
Yeah fair comment no one does really know

you’d like to think so though

SBT

Except for it obviously is as we were just 1 goal away from the premier league? Without paying Hamer 20k a week….
Robins worked miracles for sure, but generally speaking, teams with a firm commitment to budget discipline are more likely to be swept aside by teams who have none.

Matt smith

Robins worked miracles for sure, but generally speaking, teams with a firm commitment to budget discipline are more likely to be swept aside by teams who have none.
Gus could get 40 a week in the prem and he wants 20 to stay with us

you do it if you’ve got any ambition

blunted

Coventry and Luton last year? Both had restrictive budgets. Management and team spirit equally as important or the three clubs who came down last year would have gone straight back. The difference was Burnley had good management

clint van damme

How isn’t it affordable? we made money from the playoff run.that would cover his wages.

I never said it wasn't affordable. If it is then great, but there's more to consider than the simple cost ofa rise in his salary.

Deity

Not that specific was he…
‘We need to be knocking on the play-off door every single year and we need to get into those play-offs and try to get through the door. That’s the goal that I have set for the club, for the manager’.
He specifically said 3 in the next 5 years
How do you know he could get 40 in prem, has anyone actually come in for him?
leicester had opened discussions with Hamer’s agent pre relegation ….

GaryPendrysEyes

You're missing the point.
Example, Hamer starts badly (and hes had lean spells before), but Allen is scoring and assisting, Goddens banging them in, suddenly their agents are banging on Robins door and so it all escalates.

Our decline was along painful process that went on for over a decade.
I don't want to go back there chasing season or two of success.
The owner backs the management judgement. Hamer is the heart of the team and worth investing some of the money made on the playoff run.
Allen and Godden are easily replaceable, Hamer is not.
I think the players realise that as well.

baldy

But we ended up in League two doing exactly what you're advocating, (an over simplification admittedly).

And I've seen enough from Robins to know we don't need to break the bank to give him a squad he can keep in the championship.

I’d hope we’re aiming higher than just staying in the Championship

clint van damme

The owner backs the management judgement. Hamer is the heart of the team and worth investing some of the money made on the playoff run.
Allen and Godden are easily replaceable, Hamer is not.
I think the players realise that as well.

That's not the point, up his wages and one of them starts out performing him and their agent will be knocking on the door for more.
There's a bigger picture than simply upping Hamers wages.

shepardo01

Gus could get 40 a week in the prem and he wants 20 to stay with us

you do it if you’ve got any ambition
He could get 40k p/w in the Championship too... more at some clubs!
If the one of the best midfielders in the division wants to stay and only (said only as he is worth more than this imo!) wants 20k p/w to do so, snap his hand off or fall into Championship mediocrity... or worse

Last edited:

blunted

This year we will have a wage structure that is slightly higher than last year but not significantly higher unless Doug gambles with any money we receive for Vik. Doug and Robins have said this consistently and I don't think it is a ploy to get players to sign lower contracts. Appears even Kelly is weighing up his options. I expect players from lower leagues and Prem loanees unless we get massive money for Vik. Even then, I think deals will reflect a stringent wage structure with possible large upfront amounts to a player or a long-term pension plan. I hope we are looking to Holland, Denmark, Sweden etc where there are some absolute bargains. I know Brexit has screwed this avenue to some degree but look how well Vik and Gus have done coming from those leagues. I believe our highest paid player is currently Bidwell on 10k per week. Do the maths, we can't afford 15 to 20k a week unless we are prepared to take an exceptional gamble. Gus has expressed his desire to return to Holland and it appears his wife may also want to return. I think Gus absolutely loves the City and all things being equal would stay. He may run down his contract, go back home to Holland or move to the highest bidder. A new contract with us would be brilliant, but I wouldn't hold your breath

Matt smith

If the one of the best midfielders in the division wants to stay and only (said only as he is worth more than this imo!) wants 20k p/w to do so, snap his hand off or fall into Championship mediocrity... or worse
Exactly shep

Matt smith

Championship mediocrity at absolute best

but at least we’ve got a wage structure 😂

Sick Boy

This year we will have a wage structure that is slightly higher than last year but not significantly higher unless Doug gambles with any money we receive for Vik. Doug and Robins have said this consistently and I don't think it is a ploy to get players to sign lower contracts. Appears even Kelly is weighing up his options. I expect players from lower leagues and Prem loanees unless we get massive money for Vik. Even then, I think deals will reflect a stringent wage structure with possible large upfront amounts to a player or a long-term pension plan. I hope we are looking to Holland, Denmark, Sweden etc where there are some absolute bargains. I know Brexit has screwed this avenue to some degree but look how well Vik and Gus have done coming from those leagues. I believe our highest paid player is currently Bidwell on 10k per week. Do the maths, we can't afford 15 to 20k a week unless we are prepared to take an exceptional gamble. Gus has expressed his desire to return to Holland and it appears his wife may also want to return. I think Gus absolutely loves the City and all things being equal would stay. He may run down his contract, go back home to Holland or move to the highest bidder. A new contract with us would be brilliant, but I wouldn't hold your breath
Would Hamer and Gyokeres have got work permits post-Brexit? I guess not.

NorthernWisdom

Dawkins I think. Or maybe that was that he was offered 20k
Now I may be overly cynical, surround myself with cynical people, or have just supported CCFC for too long, but if I wanted to leave without leaving a bad taste with fans, it's the kind of story I'd plant.

Doesn't stop it actually being true either of course(!) but in the history of CCFC, trust no-one, think only of yourself has always been a fine rule to take!

CCFC54321

Hamer is considerably more than £10k. That’s 100% correct I can assure you.

Users who are viewing this thread