Hamer (11 Viewers)

Astute

I'm very glad I've been very busy during this closed season.

It is simple. Gus has been made a very generous offer. But all options are open. Either an offer comes in good for all sides or Hamer signs for another season or two maybe with a clause of some kind. Presently everyone is happy. Hamer looks happy.

He is our player until something happens. Mellow out. No dummy spitting will change anything.

Hertsccfc

You’ve moved the goalposts a bit, but in terms of midfield from the Div 1 / Prem years is Hamer better "by a long mile" than Ian Gibson, Dennis Mortimer, Willie Carr, Gerry Daly, Andy Blair, Barry Powell, Terry Yorath, Youssef Chippo, Garry McAllister?

And of course in other positions there are numerous players who you’d have to say were superior to Hamer.

Gus was fantastic in the second half of last season, and on his day a match for some of the above, but hasn't yet done anything at the top level so I just responded to the claim that he's the best player we’ve had in over 50 years.
I think there's plenty of others. Stewart Robson and George Boateng immediately spring to mind. I say this as a massive fan of Hamer, who I feel is our best player since relegation from the Premier League. However, I can't rate him as better than players who proved themselves to be excellent in the top league.

slowpoke

You’ve moved the goalposts a bit, but in terms of midfield from the Div 1 / Prem years is Hamer better "by a long mile" than Ian Gibson, Dennis Mortimer, Willie Carr, Gerry Daly, Andy Blair, Barry Powell, Terry Yorath, Youssef Chippo, Garry McAllister?

And of course in other positions there are numerous players who you’d have to say were superior to Hamer.

Gus was fantastic in the second half of last season, and on his day a match for some of the above, but hasn't yet done anything at the top level so I just responded to the claim that he's the best player we’ve had in over 50 years.
No he isn’t but he is as influential as many of the above and that is important.

You mentioned Ian Gibson it’s hard to describe to those who never saw him play how good he was, he was a one off but his type don’t exist anymore miles better than the likes of Rice, Foden, Maddison.

Finham

Fucking idiots on social media

I downloaded tiktok the other day as curious. It's fucking horrendous. No wonder kids have no attention span these days.
Amen, brother.

skyblueelephant76

I think there's plenty of others. Stewart Robson and George Boateng immediately spring to mind. I say this as a massive fan of Hamer, who I feel is our best player since relegation from the Premier League. However, I can't rate him as better than players who proved themselves to be excellent in the top league.
How about comparing him to David Thompson. 13 goals from midfield in our first season down and player of the season.

rob9872

Some of those before my time, but I'm not having Chippo in there. Hadji was excellent, chippo only average imo.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If I understand the details of the pay-structure correctly, it’s a fairly recent structure put in place by the new owner Doug King, if that is the case the problem in breaking the structure to accommodate Hamer’s financial needs isn’t the risk of upsetting other players.
The main problem is how it reflects on Doug King himself, he puts in place a strict pay-structure only to scrap it when the first player comes along and calls it into question, it shows him as weak, indecisive and frankly a bit of a walkover.
Its a pity he didn’t tie Hamer down to a new deal before introducing the pay-structure.
King set the prices for junior tickets and changed his mind pretty much immediately. Also supposedly done the same with some hospitality.

Changing his mind doesn't seem to be a problem.

rob9872

The thing with pay caps is they don't harm the shite players but prevent the top ones realising their worth. If our ceiling is eg 20k we could be paying that to inferior players yet can't go to 25 for Gus. They simply don't work and like most things in life you get what you pay for.

junglej13

Some of those before my time, but I'm not having Chippo in there. Hadji was excellent, chippo only average imo.
I remember in the first season after about 15 games Hadji had been pretty underwhelming. Chippo had been by far the better out the two. Hadji produced some great moments around the Christmas period when we were on Sky nearly every home game. In the relegation season when he was made captain he was a big target for the boo boys. Similar to how McAllister was in his first season.

hamertime

Hamer is so influential and important you have to pay him what he wants. He wants to stay you can tell he loves it here. If we loose him it could set us back years. I get the pay cap thing but it makes no sense to bite your nose to spite your face. I’d imagine all the other players want him to stay too.

Balli001

JimmyHillsbeard

Ok let’s get some perspective.

Daly was a great player at Man Utd but was significantly slowing down by the time he came to us.

Yorath was an old style enforcer. Truth be told he was a one dimensional Souness-type; he lacked the Souness skill and finesse but could do the robust stuff. A great signing for us but he’d be sent off in every single game these days.

Carr was a lovely player but hardly won us many games. Mortimer was sold far too early to be considered a great for us. He should have been capped for England but didn’t make it.

Blair wouldn’t get into today’s starting side very often. I look forward to people speaking of Josh Eccles in the same way in 15 years time. Powell was an effective player and quite skilful but again his influence on games was not at the level of someone who could be considered a great.

McAllister and Hadji were sublime in terms of skill and influence but the former only turned up for one of his three seasons with us (his final one) and in our best year in the Prem his injury-enforced absence (and replacement by Boateng - who himself had as many poor games as outstanding ones- made us a better team.

I liked Stewart Robson at City but he was injured every fourth game and hardly scored win his time with us. We can’t compare Hamer to players like Daly and Robson winding down their careers.

Thompson loved his time at Cov (I know this for a fact) but was injury prone and unfit when he arrived. His season for us at the level we are now at was brilliant but he’d been ineffective at the level above.

Whether Hamer can be properly compared to players from the 1970s/80s is a moot point but few of those mentioned had the influence at both ends of the pitch as he has in almost every game he plays in the championship.

When he moves on, we will suddenly noticed how effective he is I suspect.

Sky Blue Pete

Think the rumours about not offering enough are not right

pretty sure the offer made is a generous one , pretty sure gus is waiting to see who comes in f

fan base has been brilliant about yok sale

pretty sure if we sold and invested as we have and are and will the Hamer money we would be not as good start of the season but potentially better off over the whole of it

who knows

AFCCOVENTRY

Think the rumours about not offering enough are not right

pretty sure the offer made is a generous one , pretty sure gus is waiting to see who comes in f

fan base has been brilliant about yok sale

pretty sure if we sold and invested as we have and are and will the Hamer money we would be not as good start of the season but potentially better off over the whole of it

who knows

I agree with you. Something isn’t adding up. We are paying big fees for players and somehow we can’t offer him a brilliant contract. He is keeping his options open till the end of the window.

Brylowes

King set the prices for junior tickets and changed his mind pretty much immediately. Also supposedly done the same with some hospitality.

Changing his mind doesn't seem to be a problem.
This is completely different, by changing his mind on ticket pricing he actually endeared himself further with the fan base by showing he was willing to listen, it would have had ‘little to no‘ impact on senior staff, and would mean nothing to the playing staff.
The pay-structure however is completely different, introduced by DK it‘s strong message to the playing staff and underlines the club’s position on serious issue which is sure to become more relevant as time goes on.
If he then scraps the pay-structure in order to keep the first player who tests his resolve, it absolutely does show weakness and sends out the message that when it comes to tough negotiations, DK can be a bit toothless.

Sky Blue Pete

This is completely different, by changing his mind on ticket pricing he actually endeared himself further with the fan base by showing he was willing to listen, it would have had ‘little to no‘ impact on senior staff, and would mean nothing to the playing staff.
The pay-structure however is completely different, introduced by DK it‘s strong message to the playing staff and underlines the club’s position on serious issue which is sure to become more relevant as time goes on.
If he then scraps the pay-structure in order to keep the first player who tests his resolve, it absolutely does show weakness and sends out the message that when it comes to tough negotiations, DK can be a bit toothless.
Positive - he’s learning he’s trying new things he’s his own man he wants to make things happen he’s willing to change his mind when necessary
Negative - he doesn’t listen he takes decisions despite what others say he backtracks he changes his mind

I have to say he rubs me up the wrong way but if robins is happy and we have a team that competes at the top of the championship who am I! No one is the answer

Brylowes

Positive - he’s learning he’s trying new things he’s his own man he wants to make things happen he’s willing to change his mind when necessary
Negative - he doesn’t listen he takes decisions despite what others say he backtracks he changes his mind

I have to say he rubs me up the wrong way but if robins is happy and we have a team that competes at the top of the championship who am I! No one is the answer
I think he’s a breath of fresh air, the difference he’s made to this club in a few months is astonishing.
I just wish he’d concluded talks with Hamer before introducing the pay-structure.

Users who are viewing this thread