Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (10 Viewers)

calibrase6

We actually need proper competition for Wright as Simms and Godden seem more like for like to an extent, i.e penalty box poachers, whereas Wright on paper is more of a complete forward in the Gyokeres mould albeit we havent seen much, if any of that so far,but the above list does seem to confirm the assumption. Boli might be worth a shout as werent we also linked with Evander from Portland Timbers as a replacement for Hamer. Know fuck all about Boli, but if that Evander guy was on the radar then maybe going for Boli as well might help get Evander over as at this point we are fucking desperate to replace Hamer!! Yes, a bit desperate now so clutching at straws such as randomly picking players off random lists. Or maybe go for Wadji as it rhymes with Hadji....

calibrase6

I care we paid £7.7M for a 26 year old...he needs a hell of a lot of improvement. How low are our expectations of our star striker...jeez.
The guy he replaced was a 20 million striker. He isnt going to be as good obviously. £7.7 m today isnt that much for a top level striker. If Wright gets say 12-15 goals this season thats actually at least good enough for a £5-7 million striker in todays market.
That being said i personally dont think we have seen anywhere near the best of him yet as he does have the attributes to be far better than he has been but its still early days for a guy who didnt get a pre-season and is in a new environment.

Flying Fokker

I care we paid £7.7M for a 26 year old...he needs a hell of a lot of improvement. How low are our expectations of our star striker...jeez.
Just look like a footballer would be adequate.
He’s been panned for not scoring goals and over thinking the game. He got himself into the perfect position for goals and he is panned for scoring a tap in. Saul Bollocks

Flying Fokker

The guy he replaced was a 20 million striker. He isnt going to be as good obviously. £7.7 m today isnt that much for a top level striker. If Wright gets say 12-15 goals this season thats actually at least good enough for a £5-7 million striker in todays market.
That being said i personally dont think we have seen anywhere near the best of him yet as he does have the attributes to be far better than he has been but its still early days for a guy who didnt get a pre-season and is in a new environment.
I agree with this. He is on target for at least 12 goals as well. I’m confident that Wright and Simms will come good.

Brighton Sky Blue

People to need to calm down with all the silly goal stats and comparisons. Wright has scored 4 tap ins that almost anyone could have put away. I’ll be more impressed when he actually creates himself a goal .
His goal against Boro wasn’t really a tap in and to be honest nor was the one against Blackburn.

David O'Day

People to need to calm down with all the silly goal stats and comparisons. Wright has scored 4 tap ins that almost anyone could have put away. I’ll be more impressed when he actually creates himself a goal .
you've been in leicestershire too long, it's rotted your brain

edgy

Still has a long way to go for me.

His movement off the ball is getting slightly better, but his team-mates either arn't seeing it or don't trust him enough yet to play the pass. This was evident against West Brom.

Having watched closely against Preston, his ability to hold a ball up under any sort of pressure is really poor currently. There's some really basic stuff he should be doing, such as getting his full body in-between the ball & the defender......controlling the ball with the foot furthest away from an opponent (safe side etc). It doesn't take a great deal of skill or even strength to do these things.

The goals will do him well in terms of confidence in front of goal.

fernandopartridge

Still has a long way to go for me.

His movement off the ball is getting slightly better, but his team-mates either arn't seeing it or don't trust him enough yet to play the pass. This was evident against West Brom.

Having watched closely against Preston, his ability to hold a ball up under any sort of pressure is really poor currently. There's some really basic stuff he should be doing, such as getting his full body in-between the ball & the defender......controlling the ball with the foot furthest away from an opponent (safe side etc). It doesn't take a great deal of skill or even strength to do these things.

The goals will do him well in terms of confidence in front of goal.

His team mates probably lack confidence themselves more than not trusting him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

Number of goals scored = a silly goal stat? What would a sensible goal stat look like? How many 30 yards screamers or how about how many scored when it is raining?

You have to be in the right position to score a tap in. That in itself is one of the most important skills for a striker and the ability to be in the right place at the right time is why players like Erling Haaland are so prolific.

Last edited:

napolimp

His main job is to score goals, what's the problem? Do you want him to receive the ball 5 yards from goal, turn and run back towards his own half, and then have a crack from 40 yards out?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Oh and to all the Preston fans replying on twitter to the penalty footage with 'what about the offside?!'...Looks on to me. The leg of the defender trying to block the shot must be in the 6 yard box and Wright isn't -

1699262016188.png

edgy

As you can't see the left foot of the player marking Godden, there is no way you can tell for sure, but Haji looks to be comfortably onside from that photo.
Haji is on the 6 yard box, looks likely to be leaning forward. To me the defenders leg trying to block the shot, isnt quite over the 6 yard box. Very close but from that image, I have money on Haji being ruled offside by VAR.

False9

I'm not sure what is silly about it.

We need to remember that we are assessing a championship striker with flaws, not Gyokeres. He probably isn't going to run from the halfway line and score but if he continues at his mins per goal rate we will all be happy eventually.

Ashdown

Yes I too hope he gets another 20 tap ins this season, more than anything it shows the team is creating chances, however 4 tap ins thus far doth not maketh a £7 million striker.

False9

Yes I too hope he gets another 20 tap ins this season, more than anything it shows the team is creating chances, however 4 tap ins thus far doth not maketh a £7 million striker.
I agree he has to show a bit more but the signs are there of a poacher.

Whether you like it or not £7m is the going rate for a champ level striker in today's world.

ceetee

I don't accept that all of Wright's goals are tap ins as such, but even so I'm pleased that we have a striker who looks for those opportunities.

Grendel

As you can't see exactly where the left foot of the player marking Godden is, there is no way you can tell for sure, but Haji looks to be comfortably onside from that photo.

It doesn’t really matter as officials have to make the judgement and not stills of a left foot so the margins could easily mean it’s given

edgy

The "tap-in" debate aside, it's not unreasonable for people to want more from their record striker signing.

If he continues to tap in, then great, the focus is taken away from the many other elements of his game.

Ccfcisparks

The "tap-in" debate aside, it's not unreasonable for people to want more from their record striker signing.

If he continues to tap in, then great, the focus is taken away from the many other elements of his game.
He's there to play a role and its the goalscorer. I'm obviously not comparing ability, but look at how Haaland plays at Man City, his role is clearly to score and not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread