Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (8 Viewers)

Yank

Yes, he could close down a little bit better and be a bit more energetic, but does not matter if Clark fucking Kent is upfront if you are getting no service. Hopefully during the break, he can get straightened out by the coaching staff and the team as a whole will get more fluid with things.

Hobo

I think he is a good player who we haven't learned how to play in yet. This is a step up for him and I am sure he is learning something every game. It will take time for him to settle in on the pitch and off it.

I think as a club we should look to develop his upper body strength. British football is on the physical side and he doesn't seem ready for that.

Greggs

Yes, he could close down a little bit better and be a bit more energetic, but does not matter if Clark fucking Kent is upfront if you are getting no service. Hopefully during the break, he can get straightened out by the coaching staff and the team as a whole will get more fluid with things.
24 48 hut hut

hinckley cov

Clark Kent’s never played football in his life so you’re right it would be useless playing him🤪

Astute

The more I see of Wright the more I think good striker but totally the wrong striker for the system we are playing. Would have been perfect last season.

Wright is good at timing his runs right through to shooting. But if our opponents have the ball he trots around in a circle waiting for that ball to run onto. But because of the way we now play there's rarely space up front past the defence. Once we get the ball it quickly becomes about 20 players in their half and no space.

Maybe at the harder away games at least or for last 20 minutes or so hopefully when in lead. Drop back like we know we can and get him some space. We normally end up sitting back in these situations anyway.

Brighton Sky Blue

The more I see of Wright the more I think good striker but totally the wrong striker for the system we are playing. Would have been perfect last season.

Wright is good at timing his runs right through to shooting. But if our opponents have the ball he trots around in a circle waiting for that ball to run onto. But because of the way we now play there's rarely space up front past the defence. Once we get the ball it quickly becomes about 20 players in their half and no space.

Maybe at the harder away games at least or for last 20 minutes or so hopefully when in lead. Drop back like we know we can and get him some space. We normally end up sitting back in these situations anyway.
Well again it comes back to going from Hamer who could see and execute those kinds of passes to players who can’t.

Astute

Well again it comes back to going from Hamer who could see and execute those kinds of passes to players who can’t.
But Hamer players cost Hamer money. And Hamer players want to play higher than the Championship.

So they have to get a player with ability and coach it into them. Just like they changed Hamer from a liability to one of the best players I have seen in many years if not the best.

ovduk78

Ayari will give him a few games
Ayari played a lovely through ball in the 2nd half that either Simms or Wright could have gone for. Simms tried to get to it but wasn't quick enough, Wright didn't bother. I realise that the players are getting used to each other but surely forwards know that there is a chance the ball can be played through the gap and gamble on that. It looked on Saturday that if it wasn't passed directly to Wright or just in front of him then he wasn't interested.

shmmeee

But Hamer players cost Hamer money. And Hamer players want to play higher than the Championship.

So they have to get a player with ability and coach it into them. Just like they changed Hamer from a liability to one of the best players I have seen in many years if not the best.

Hamer had the ability from the start.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t disagree, just stating why Wright and others aren’t being played to their strengths.

Boicey

Wright still seems quite unfit. In a few closeups he looked deeply knackered.
Don’t think he’s got enough fitness yet to press or cover back.

Astute

Hamer had the ability from the start.
But totally wrong mindset. He missed more games through suspension than he scored goals 😁 it was never a surprise to be down to 10 men.

skybluecam

Wright still seems quite unfit. In a few closeups he looked deeply knackered.
Don’t think he’s got enough fitness yet to press or cover back.
There’s definitely something off with him.

A couple of weeks to focus on training work has probably come at the right time. I don’t know if it’s mental or physical but he doesn’t look in a position to perform right now.

shmmeee

But totally wrong mindset. He missed more games through suspension than he scored goals 😁 it was never a surprise to be down to 10 men.

This was massively overblown TBH. But regardless from game one you saw his ability. There’s an argument for Vik, although I still think that was returning to the mean, but Hamer came to us with some of the best key passing stats in Europe for his age. He wasn’t some nobody we turned into a PL player.

djr8369

It is still very early days for him. It'd be interesting if they could measure the physical intensity of each league. You'd imagine the Championship would be ahead of the Turkish league.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
As various people pointed out at the time, it’s rated very similarly to the championship, but I’ve no idea how those ratings are calculated. It’s certainly looked less intense though and from his highlights my memory is that he had a lot more space to work with but that could partly be playing style and giving him balls he can run onto.

Brighton Sky Blue

As various people pointed out at the time, it’s rated very similarly to the championship, but I’ve no idea how those ratings are calculated. It’s certainly looked less intense though and from his highlights my memory is that he had a lot more space to work with but that could partly be playing style and giving him balls he can run onto.
Might be more comparable if you looked up his performances against Galatasaray/Fenerbahce etc.

baldy

Clark Kent upfront would be at least lightening quick I’d imagine plus he’d show brilliant strength too - then again,he’d presumably be trying to hide all these assets & try & look ‘normal’ so yeah - he’d probably appear to be woeful (plus where would we sign him from? He’s not exactly playing football regularly)

djr8369

It’s actually frightening how much he reminds me of Bakayoko. Got all the physical attributes, alright technically but doesn’t seem to have the confidence and aggression to make the most of
That seemed to have been, at least partly, intentional today. As mentioned on the match thread MR said in his interview he and Simms did well to stop Norwich playing it out from the back how they like to. To me that sounds like they were told to block the passing channels, rather than close down. To fans that looks like ambling around in no man’s land.

Norwich were also setting traps. The strikers couldn’t press as Norwich had a man drop deep so could just move it around Simms or Wright once they went to a man. We need a midfielder to join the press. At some points this happened but that gave Norwich an out and they used these occasions to progress the ball to specs left in the middle.

That said, when Godden came on he pressed, and sometimes successfully. Also, I’m backing Wright and think some are too harsh on him, but think he does need to up his intensity and the league has been a big change which he needs to adapt to.
Not sure if this has been shared already but some good analysis about our press here which elaborates on a couple of things MR mentioned in his post match interview.

Greggs

Not sure if this has been shared already but some good analysis about our press here which elaborates on a couple of things MR mentioned in his post match interview.

Football will become even more of a boring game if everything is stat related. That shit can go in the bin for all I care, without that own goal we'd still be trying to equalise now.
They made half a dozen mistakes at the back that we failed to capitalise on, we made one that they scored from, where is the stat for that?
Really starting to lose interest in all this bollocks.

djr8369

Football is a more complicated game than I thought.
I feel the same way. It’s easy for fans to say what a player should have done in any given situation but often a player will be trying to follow a game plan, a number of specific instructions, and react according to strengths or weaknesses of players around them. Considering some of the stick a few players have received recently I think that’s worth keeping in mind.

ProfessorbyGrace

Looking back at Wright’s ‘highlight reel’, I’m getting the impression he was deployed more as a LFW or RFW, in certain matches, with instructions to run the channels, chase onto a long pass over the top (which, sadly, none of our midfielders can do) and get in the box when the ball is wide on the opposite flank etc.

This may explain at least some of his issues, in a new system.

Forgive me if I’m sounding cynical here, but if he was scouted, then signed, on the basis of how he played in a certain set-up, then it’s odd to think how he can suddenly provide the same output in a more constrained role?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

shmmeee

Looking back at Wright’s ‘highlight reel’, I’m getting the impression he was deployed more as a LFW or RFW, in certain matches, with instructions to run the channels, chase onto a long pass over the top (which, sadly, none of our midfielders can do) and get in the box when the ball is wide on the opposite flank etc.

This may explain at least some of his issues, in a new system.

Forgive me if I’m sounding cynical here, but if he was scouted, then signed, on the basis of how he played in a certain set-up, then it’s odd to think how he can suddenly provide the same output in a more constrained role?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

This is why we should play 433 with Saka and Wright wide.

Tomh111

He does need to operate in space at the minute, and I think that's why he is struggling with our new possession style of football.

He really reminds me of Vik, I think he will.come good - but it's going to take some big adjustments to the type of runs he makes etc.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread