Gyokeres (6 Viewers)

Happy_Martian

Why? Its a big club and often a gateway club to very big clubs. Can 100% see why someone would go there over a garbage Premier League club like Burnley...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sporting have qualified for the Europa League again next season. Could playing European football for an established Euro-level club be another reason to choose them ? In comparison, none of the teams named in England have qualified or have practically no recent experience in Europe

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Then we don't accept 17m! Not this early anyway. Once we get close to August of course then its a different matter! I have thought West Ham are a likely destination for a while, but I think the majority of PL clubs outside the top 8 will have him on their radar as of now and if we negotiate wisely I don't see why we shouldn't get £20m+ for him.

I think the issue of there being only one year on his contract has also been overstated. Been trying to think of a similar Championship scenario and saw that when Eze went from QPR to Palace he was in his final year too. Palace reportedly offered £12m at the beginning of August before eventually signing him for £17m on August 28th, so in that instance his value did not diminish the nearer the deadline came.

At the end of the day there are so many variables, and you are definitely right that it is a game of chicken, factoring in how desperate we are to sell/ how desperate are the buyers/ who will Gyokeres want to join/ when in the window do we want to sell him? I guess it is feasible he could still even start the season with us, which would then add further dynamics depending on how well he starts, and how poorly (and therefore desperate) some of his PL suitors might start their seasons.
I was using 17m as a random figure - ultimately we need the cash and other teams know this. Obviously we can hold out longer now becuase it’s the start of the transfer window.

Although it maybe that we want him to go as early as possible so we can start replacing

PVA

Sporting have qualified for the Europa League again next season. Could playing European football for an established Euro-level club be another reason to choose them ? In comparison, none of the teams named in England have qualified or have practically no recent experience in Europe

West Ham have been in Europe for a couple of seasons to be fair.

Haven't qualified next year on league position but will be in the Europa League if they win tonight

RoboCCFC90

Can’t say I agree. Ollie Watkins never played in the Premiership and went to Villa from Brentford for £28m. Then players like Bellingham, Maddison, Benrahma all going for well over £20m+.

Vik is an international striker as well and a talent. There’s a reason half the premiership and plenty of European clubs want him. We can easily get £20m+ just like other stars in the Champ before him.

Big difference between Watkins and Gyokeres is that Watkins had three years (4th with an optional year) on his contract at Brentford when he was sold to Villa. Therefore Brentford could demand whatever they wanted as they were not under pressure to sell.

CCFC aren’t in that position with Gyokeres, there is 12 months left on his deal and if they don’t sell this window they risk losing Gyok for nothing in January to a team outside of England or on a free next summer.

As good as Gyok is, and he is good, City won’t get £25m IMO for him.

rexo87

Why? Its a big club and often a gateway club to very big clubs. Can 100% see why someone would go there over a garbage Premier League club like Burnley...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I sort of agree. Only thing is at 25 should he not be making his top move now? If he had a couple of good years at sporting he will be 27 and prem clubs probably less likely to go for someone who likely won't develop much more

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not necessarily - Mourinho for instance had an issue at United there wasn’t a director of football, to deal with the off the field stuff

the particular system also looks into the long term planning and development of the club. As I said Robins understands this and it is Dean Austin is in charge of this at CCFC. it allows an identity to be ingrained in a club.

id argue it is for a manager to fit In with the club culture rather than the other way round
Well it depends on who works for who. Of course a manager has to fit in with a club culture, but surely that is something you sort out when interviewing. And surely a DoF has to as well, or how does the club get an ingrained identity if successive DoF's have different philosophies?

If you're letting a DoF choose signings, then the manager is actually nothing more than a coach trying to train players to play how the DoF (who isn't involved in the dressing room) wants. And if the team don't perform well chances are it's going to be a fair number of managers who get the boot before the DoF, who is more responsible for it, faces the axe.

If the DoF is there to do the off-field stuff on the managers behalf, like a chairman, then fine, but it should be the manager telling the DoF who he wants to sign and the DoF setting about making it happen.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Big difference between Watkins and Gyokeres is that Watkins had three years (4th with an optional year) on his contract at Brentford when he was sold to Villa. Therefore Brentford could demand whatever they wanted as they were not under pressure to sell.

CCFC aren’t in that position with Gyokeres, there is 12 months left on his deal and if they don’t sell this window they risk losing Gyok for nothing in January to a team outside of England or on a free next summer.

As good as Gyok is, and he is good, City won’t get £25m IMO for him.
But if you get a lot of clubs interested our position doesn't matter. Those clubs will be looking at the other interested clubs and what they will pay.

Whether he's got 12months or 12 years on his contract, if he joins someone else then he's not your player and if you want him you're going to have to offer more to win the bidding war.

Flying Fokker

West Ham have been in Europe for a couple of seasons to be fair.

Haven't qualified next year on league position but will be in the Europa League if they win tonight
It’s looking even better now. And he’s already on their radar according to news articles. The prospects of playing as part of a European League just improved.

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Evo1883

£25m for a player who has never kicked a ball in the Premier League and has one year left on his contract?

No chance.

Adam Armstrong was sold to Southampton with a similar contract length remaining for £15m (reported). City might get lucky if other clubs get into a bidding war, but clubs will be looking for proven quality and Gyok doesn't have that in the Premier League so will be a risk to any interested clubs.
Vik is far better than Armstrong though

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Well it depends on who works for who. Of course a manager has to fit in with a club culture, but surely that is something you sort out when interviewing. And surely a DoF has to as well, or how does the club get an ingrained identity if successive DoF's have different philosophies?

If you're letting a DoF choose signings, then the manager is actually nothing more than a coach trying to train players to play how the DoF (who isn't involved in the dressing room) wants. And if the team don't perform well chances are it's going to be a fair number of managers who get the boot before the DoF, who is more responsible for it, faces the axe.

If the DoF is there to do the off-field stuff on the managers behalf, like a chairman, then fine, but it should be the manager telling the DoF who he wants to sign and the DoF setting about making it happen.
Obviously the way I explained it was simplistic. For example we already have a philosophy, Dean Austin has come in having bought into it.

going forward Robins will tell him what he needs and Austin will send the recruitment team to compile a list robins.

long term - Austin will have a list of managers that will seamlessly fit into that philosophy. The theory is that anyone coming in will be able to work with the players that are already here. Managers these days are more head coaches than managers

edgy

West Ham currently the best destination for us and him.

Imagine a good sell on %, after a decent couple of PL seasons and in the European spotlight.

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

AFCCOVENTRY

Reality is his agent and him have identified which club he wants to go to. It’s upto whichever his favoured destination is, to match the clubs valuation.

RoboCCFC90

But if you get a lot of clubs interested our position doesn't matter. Those clubs will be looking at the other interested clubs and what they will pay.

Whether he's got 12months or 12 years on his contract, if he joins someone else then he's not your player and if you want him you're going to have to offer more to win the bidding war.

Of course it matters, there have been clubs interested for the last six/twelve months, how many have made a bid?

Clubs will pay what they believe the player is worth, Sporting being a prime example with their first offer, being much lower than most fans expectations.

Londonccfcfan

Transfermarkt have upped their valuation to 13€M....and Hamers to €8M.

I seriously think we will get £15M for Vik. May stretch to £20M if theres a bidding war. But what we have to realise is that Vik is under no obligation to move or accept a move. He can sit on his contract and talk to anyone in Europe in 6 months.

Best we cash in ASAP.

Offhegoes

He'd be great at west ham imo
Agreed. Would be a good move for Vik. He would be a starter in August for them, and Moyes likes his teams to hit the front players quickly. + With the European success they may be wiling to go well above £20million to secure him

letsallsingtogether

Transfermarkt have upped their valuation to 13€M....and Hamers to €8M.

I seriously think we will get £15M for Vik. May stretch to £20M if theres a bidding war. But what we have to realise is that Vik is under no obligation to move or accept a move. He can sit on his contract and talk to anyone in Europe in 6 months.

Best we cash in ASAP.
Hamers worth more then Vik IMHO.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agreed. Would be a good move for Vik. He would be a starter in August for them, and Moyes likes his teams to hit the front players quickly. + With the European success they may be wiling to go well above £20million to secure him
Plus the sale of Declan Rice. Gyokeres would be most ideal for Palace or West Ham.

I honestly think we could get £25-30m for Gyokeres if the starting bid is £17m. There’s a lot of competition for his signature!

bigfatronssba

Of course it matters, there have been clubs interested for the last six/twelve months, how many have made a bid?

Clubs will pay what they believe the player is worth, Sporting being a prime example with their first offer, being much lower than most fans expectations.

Clubs will pay the lowest amount they think they can get away with.

Hopefully Doug plays hardball

ccfcricoh

got to balance between playing hard ball and getting something over the line to allow us to replace and do something with the money.

I'd take £3m less at the start of the window as opposed to £3m more on the last day!

I dont think we'll get £20m+ for him so would take the first offer of around £17/18m

RoboCCFC90

Clubs will pay the lowest amount they think they can get away with.

Hopefully Doug plays hardball

To play hardball you've got to be in a good bargaining position and CCFC's position isn't great, especially when City could lose Gyok in six/twelve months time for nothing, if they chose not to sell.

If we are going to sell it needs to be now, take the £15m or whatever it is and reinvest it back into the club. If we don't sell then City have to make sure they get promoted to give themselves the best chance of keeping Gyok (although I don't think that would be enough) or get him tied to a new contract, which his agent suggests won't happen.

Mucca Mad Boys

To play hardball you've got to be in a good bargaining position and CCFC's position isn't great, especially when City could lose Gyok in six/twelve months time for nothing, if they chose not to sell.

If we are going to sell it needs to be now, take the £15m or whatever it is and reinvest it back into the club. If we don't sell then City have to make sure they get promoted to give themselves the best chance of keeping Gyok (although I don't think that would be enough) or get him tied to a new contract, which his agent suggests won't happen.
Our leverage isn’t the length of contract. Our leverage is the amount of teams that supposedly want him.

Literally half the premier league is said to be interested in him. Brentford have lost Toney, Fulham may lose Mitrovic, West Ham, Wolves, Palace and Everton all need a striker…

There’s also foreign teams interested which I imagine will get swept away by any of the Prem teams.

Last edited:

PVA

Our leverage isn’t the length of contract. Our leverage is the amount of teams that supposedly want him.

Literally half the premier league is supposedly interested in him. Brentford have lost Toney, Fulham may lose Mitrovic, West Ham, Wolves, Palace and Everton all need a striker…

There’s supposedly foreign teams interested which I imagine will get swept away by any of the Prem teams.

Yep I just don't see him leaving for free in a year.

At least one team will be willing to pay what we want for him this summer. Probably more than one.

We're in a great bargaining position, probably better than for any player sale in our history.

RoboCCFC90

Literally half the premier league is supposedly interested in him. Brentford have lost Toney, Fulham may lose Mitrovic, West Ham, Wolves, Palace and Everton all need a striker…

There’s supposedly foreign teams interested which I imagine will get swept away by any of the Prem teams.

I appreciate where you are coming from MMB, but keyword in your reply is "supposedly".

There have been lots of interest for a while, but no concrete offers, only Sporting's offer up until now.

It's early days, of course things may change, Sporting's offer could entice others to make offers, but we don't know that to be the case.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Now that West Ham have Qualified for the Europa League next season I can see them putting in a strong bid for Gyokores.

mmttww

Feel like £15m up front is the most we'll get and like others have said, that amount in the bank early is worth more than a few £m more at the end of the window, esp. if we want to make a strong start to the season.

Users who are viewing this thread