Gyokeres (13 Viewers)

Finham

Yea didnt one of the board technically own him and not the club?
They did-it wasn't Robinson was it? I think I heard Richardson saying "when they want to sell unfortunately there's nothing we can do" or something similar. Like he didn't know.

Briles

Even with the best ref we’d had all season nothing got done. And it’s as obvious as you like so much be being let go by refs intentionally. There’s no legitimate reason to pull a shirt so it should be a foul every time shouldn’t it?

Players pull his shirt more when he drops short because they dont know which way he is going to turn and it gives them a clue as to where he's going. Unfortunately because he backs in to the defender in order to spin, it never gets clocked

baldy

I swear some people just produce crap for the sake of getting hits.

The beardy twonk does spout absolute drivel about Vik ie he can score with his head - didn’t he only score 1 this season & last with a header?

Mcbean

He’s 20 million all day for any of these teams as his wages will be much lower than any of these highly paid clowns Haaland is reputed to be on 900k per week - they have money to burn

Kilclines curly mullet

Still looking at what Watford got for their striker as a benchmark.

Joao Pedro 30m.

Gyo is easily worth as much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not a chance Gykores is worth £30 million

Remember our whole system is set up for him, the way we play, the way we set up - everything. Time will tell if he gets that at another club.

Reasons (in my opinion) that he is with £15-£20 million tops:

1 year left on his contract
Never played in the prem
Still misses too many chances, the amount of 1 on 1’s that are not converted etc. At prem level chances are at a premium and these need to be converted.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Not that I want less than 15m but he has had only just over 2 seasons, Brighton and others didn’t value him to get goals and whilst he has been brilliant for us, would need a 3rd season of 20 plus goals to command £20m+ but the money in the game now is crazy.
I worry about the contract leak earlier this year from Clinton Morrison and whether that then put a release clause in below perhaps where we expected him to be worth.

it will be what it is, should still give Robins more than he has ever had before to build the new team and squad, that will be a test for him as he hasn’t had that before

The Philosopher

Give him a contract with a higher release clause on say, £60k/ week / we have option on extending another year if we get in Prem.

What’s that going to cost us? Say he’s on £10k now (no idea and it doesn’t really matter) it’ll cost £50/k week extra - £2.5-£3m per year with extras.

His value will go up instantly because of contract length.

So if he’s worth £15m now, with a year, with a three year in our favour costing us £8/9m his value will be instantly £25m.

Plus our chances of going up go up massively.

A big gamble (injury (insurability?)- but what have we made in the play off run?

You wouldn’t suggest the notion if he were 28+ but at 24, to tie him down…..

Just a thought.

Balli001

Give him a contract with a higher release clause on say, £60k/ week / we have option on extending another year if we get in Prem.

What’s that going to cost us? Say he’s on £10k now (no idea and it doesn’t really matter) it’ll cost £50/k week extra - £2.5-£3m per year with extras.

His value will go up instantly because of contract length.

So if he’s worth £15m now, with a year, with a three year in our favour costing us £8/9m his value will be instantly £25m.

Plus our chances of going up go up massively.

A big gamble (injury (insurability?)- but what have we made in the play off run?

You wouldn’t suggest the notion if he were 28+ but at 24, to tie him down…..

Just a thought.
Giving him a contract potentially 6 times more than anyone else in the team is a massive risk to morale wouldnt you say?

The Philosopher

Giving him a contract potentially 6 times more than anyone else in the team is a massive risk to morale wouldnt you say?
Yep. There is that.

I’m sure there will have been players like Wilson (£2k pre new contract) who would have seen Waghorn (£12k) and thought “unfair”.

I’m sure there’s huge disparity at other clubs too.

From a business point of view paying him £££££ to give us a better chance of ££££££££ has merit. Team solidarity? Depends on how it’s conveyed I guess.

Grendel

It would finish the club if he bust his ACL in august

Balli001

Yep. There is that.

I’m sure there will have been players like Wilson (£2k pre new contract) who would have seen Waghorn (£12k) and thought “unfair”.

I’m sure there’s huge disparity at other clubs too.

From a business point of view paying him £££££ to give us a better chance of ££££££££ has merit. Team solidarity? Depends on how it’s conveyed I guess.
Its irrelevant really because we arent paying anywhere near to that for a single player. But say all the others wanted significant rises then what?

The Philosopher

Lots if he gets injured and nobody buys him, or nobody matches that, or he decides he quite fancies £60k pw for three years so starts going to Wetherspoons 24/7
All big contracts are a risk. Vik doesn’t strike me as a Spoons guy or the type to go off the rails. Career ending injury can be insured against I think.

A risk. Like all football contracts. This one has big upsides and big downsides.

Grendel

All big contracts are a risk. Vik doesn’t strike me as a Spoons guy or the type to go off the rails. Career ending injury can be insured against I think.

A risk. Like all football contracts. This one has big upsides and big downsides.
It has far more downsides than upsides

Balli001

Brentford sold Watkins and Benrahma at the top of their value. They then reinvested and got promoted with the replacements.

Balli001

Then they do what every other footballer does - prove they are worth it at new contract time.
So you propose to offer a contract to Gyokeres to upset the team but they have to wait til its time to renew and prove themselves? Your logic astounds me i have to say

DannyThomas_1981

Not a chance Gykores is worth £30 million

Remember our whole system is set up for him, the way we play, the way we set up - everything. Time will tell if he gets that at another club.

Reasons (in my opinion) that he is with £15-£20 million tops:

1 year left on his contract
Never played in the prem
Still misses too many chances, the amount of 1 on 1’s that are not converted etc. At prem level chances are at a premium and these need to be converted.

These are fair points KCM.

On the other hand, few strikers can have been involved in as many assists this season in addition to the goals scored. Setting up chances for others is an area of his game that improved massively this season.

And point taken on the 1 on 1s but fair to equally say that many of the goals he's scored have been created out of nothing through his strength and dynamism - he's basically been unplayable in the majority of games this season. The lad's very special player who hasn't even reached his full potential - Premier League class for me.

Evo1883

I can see an argument for using waghorns wages to double his or hamers wages to around 20,000 ( guess work ) wouldn't go any higher on either and we'd be better off selling if rejected

ceetee

Even if we upped his wages next season and we won promotion there's no guarantee he would stay with us the following season as other clubs might be more attractive

The Philosopher

So you propose to offer a contract to Gyokeres to upset the team but they have to wait til its time to renew and prove themselves? Your logic astounds me i have to say
If we had a set wage structure then I agree. Many clubs have star players earning more.

In the case of Vik and Gus, not many players would begrudge them being on more than say, Jamie Allen or Burroughs. That they should be on the same isn’t realistic or logical.

I think everyone agrees that point.

How much more is the key.

If it’s £30k week with a £2m sign on fee or whatever - renegotiate end of season - whatever doesn’t matter. The question is whether it makes better sense to keep him or let him go at less than potential market value (due to only having a year on his contract).

Many new players get signing on fees - particularly free agents.

There are many routes to the solution.

The lesson should have been learned from recent history - K. Westwood.

£3m keeper who went for zero. Surely, giving him £1m to stay would have been a better option. SISU didn’t - panicked- sold Best etc.

The Philosopher

Tricky / interesting thing football finance.

Signing on fees, bonuses, insurance, lifestyle clauses, image rights.

In older times star players got % gate fee.

I admit to not knowing too much so I’m going to do a bit of research over the close season whilst there’s no footy on.

We all have hobbies - that’ll be mine for a bit.

fatso

Yea didnt one of the board technically own him and not the club?
Yes Geoffrey Robbinson allegedly bought Keane without Strachan knowing.
He was bought by GR as an investment, and then when the big offer came in GR sold him.

For years the fans were asking. "where did the money go" but the truth is there never was any money!!!

Third party player ownership was subsequently made illegal by the football league, but I'm sure it still goes on in some form or another.

Many years ago there was a book published about corruption in football, and there was a whole chapter dedicated to Geoffrey Robinson. Most of it about his dodgy deals surrounding the Justice Taylor report into all seater stadiums following the Hillsborough tragedy.

But in short, GR best mate Mike McGinity (West Brom board member at this time) was given the nod to buy a company that made stadium seating, the company was going bust, so was sold for peanuts.

Now GR was on the panel of the Justice Taylor committee, and new in advance of publication that the committees report was going to recommend that every sporting venue move to all seater status.

Low and behold, after the report was published, who do you think got all the major contracts for the stadium seating?
That's right GR best mate Mike Mcginity,
Who made an absolute mint.

What happened to MM?
Well well well he only left West Brom and ended up on the board of CCFC alongside his best mate GR.

Now I should point out that the story isn't mine, it came from a book who's name escapes me, but I'll try and find out and post it, but I'm sure a forum member will know, and as such the allegation is nothing more than hearsay, as to my knowledge no charges were ever brought.
Feel free to make of this what you want.

Edit, .... the books called "Broken Dreams" by Tom Bower. Its available on Amazon.
You can find it in most good book shops and probably some shit ones too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread