Greta Thunberg / Climate Change Summit (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I’m guessing you won’t be living much longer to see the consequences of that attitude

I doubt any of us will including Greta

it’s an impossible situation here. We have to respect the ideas and treat them as an adults thought construction but if we argue back as if she is an adult it’s classed as bullying

I have no idea if she has Asperger or not. I doubt Otis has seen her medical report either. It is somewhat disturbing that her parents are apparently about to release a book on her life and this issue.

If I had a daughter with a medical condition I’d refuse the circus that we are seeing

The fact we are seeing it is interesting

NorthernWisdom

it’s an impossible situation here. We have to respect the ideas and treat them as an adults thought construction but if we argue back as if she is an adult it’s classed as bullying

I have no idea if she has Asperger or not. I doubt Otis has seen her medical report either. It is somewhat disturbing that her parents are apparently about to release a book on her life and this issue.

If I had a daughter with a medical condition I’d refuse the circus that we are seeing

The concern for her welfare is probably a far more appropriate direction to take, however, than pointing and laughing and going for the gotcha approach.

fellatio_Martinez

The 'pompous poor me act.'

I worked with Asperger sufferers for 5 years.

That doesn't have anything to do with the misleading tweet though which you initially rubbished as being a non story when it clearly wasn't.

No point worrying about climate change when you can have a go at a mentally disabled teenager.

Great virtue signalling there.

giphy.gif

Gazolba

And they said they would never land a man on the moon.
You need to look forwards, Gazbola. Technological advances happen at such a fast pace these days.
Just because we cannot meet the need right now, that doesn't mean that situation is going to remain frozen in time. 10 or 15 years is usually a huge leap in advances.
What energy advances have there been in the past 100 years?
We are still burning fossil fuels.
The only significant advance has been nuclear.
What is this huge leap that will occur in the next 10-15 years.

Brighton Sky Blue

We already are seeing freak weather events on a semi regular basis. The point of no return is near if we haven't already passed it

Grendel

We already are seeing freak weather events on a semi regular basis. The point of no return is near if we haven't already passed it

Which is entirely irrelevant to my point

ccfc92

Just checking as you seem to have some very antiquated ideas. Yes the planet has been far hotter over the years and it’s always been natural. As sure as the world isn’t flat this time around global warming is man made. It’s not even debatable, it’s absolutely a fact.

See this is where I think we have an extreme theory.

I think we are contributing to climate change, but I do think it's one of a mixture of factors. It is not solely man made.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I do thank you, I do wonder if you really know why the last 2 decades have been the hottest on record, (although the planet has actually been far hotter, over many periods in its past) and why reducing your carbon footprint is actually pointless.

And when it was a lot hotter humans weren't here. The planet would survive. We could not evolve or adapt quickly enough to survive or at least have a massive percentage of our species die out.

Think of it like your body fighting infection. It heats the body up to kill off the infection.

Grendel

Not particularly, we are already seeing the effects of global climate change. While in this country we're busy flipping off the world and drawing lines on maps

i guess when Caroline Lucas hops on a plane that’s ok is it?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What energy advances have there been in the past 100 years?
We are still burning fossil fuels.
The only significant advance has been nuclear.
What is this huge leap that will occur in the next 10-15 years.

Wind, solar, tidal......

These are improving and growing all the time, and we've barely started looking at how much we could increase their capacity. Every roof and wall is a potential solar energy plant. Every building a potential wind generator. Millions of acres of potential energy generation around the world. Deserts can be become useful to us.

As for nuclear unless it fusion it's a disaster waiting to happen. It's not a matter of if another Chernobyl happens, its a matter of when. It's only a matter of when all nuclear waste dumped in sea leaks as the protective layers around them erode over time.

Liquid Gold

See this is where I think we have an extreme theory.

I think we are contributing to climate change, but I do think it's one of a mixture of factors. It is not solely man made.
Genuinely asking the question. Why do you believe that to be the case? Where have you done your research/what have you read etc.?

Otis

Obviously SBT is full of experts ;) but I'd love someone to tell me how, once this is scaled up enough to be the main power source for the world, we don't end up with stagnant seas and acrid still air as we take all the energy out of the wind and the tide.
I wish someone would take the wind out of some posters' sails on here.

Brighton Sky Blue

Obviously SBT is full of experts ;) but I'd love someone to tell me how, once this is scaled up enough to be the main power source for the world, we don't end up with stagnant seas and acrid still air as we take all the energy out of the wind and the tide.

Is that a joke or serious question?

ccfc92

Genuinely asking the question. Why do you believe that to be the case? Where have you done your research/what have you read etc.?

Only off my own research into the history of the planet etc plus our impact on the planet.

To say climate change is 100% our fault I think is a stretch, imo.

Are we are a huge contributor? Definitely.

But I imagine from the question, you're saying we are 100% to blame for climate change/global warming?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Because they're renewable.... the rotation of the earth and the movements of the planets do that.

You may have noticed I didn't mention geothermal which many others do because the heat from the centre of the planet is harder to replace.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Poor choice of words by Greta saying she won't stand by while the worlds on fire when she's in a region massively affected by flooding at the moment,

shmmeee

Only off my own research into the history of the planet etc plus our impact on the planet.

To say climate change is 100% our fault I think is a stretch, imo.

Are we are a huge contributor? Definitely.

But I imagine from the question, you're saying we are 100% to blame for climate change/global warming?

We kicked off the industrial revolution and we exported our manufacturing to China, so we bear an awful lot of the blame. Bigger point is flood waters don’t care whose fault it is.

Edit: oh shit just realised you mean us as in humans. That’s just batshit I’m afraid. We are 100% the cause of the current warming, just looking at this graph proves that:

18191066-E46A-4DC2-BFE9-E44344A9E79F.jpeg

Liquid Gold

Poor choice of words by Greta saying she won't stand by while the worlds on fire when she's in a region massively affected by flooding at the moment,
I was in the crowd, it was pissing it down but we all understood that adverse weather is a symptom of global heating. Just because it is getting hotter and dryer doesn't mean there aren't going to be periods of severe wet weather.

Also Bristol is fine, that generalisation is like saying most people in the Coventry area have a Brummie accent.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not saying it isn't, just the choice to use that phrase when we're getting record rainfall didn't seem appropriate.

Did she actually say anything about WHAT the plan is to combat it, or was it just the usual be angry at older people for it?

clint van damme

Not saying it isn't, just the choice to use that phrase when we're getting record rainfall didn't seem appropriate.

Did she actually say anything about WHAT the plan is to combat it, or was it just the usual be angry at older people for it?

I don't care what she says or does, as long as she keeps triggering people over her turn of phrase, her absence from school, her mode of transport etc etc than she's alright by me because I find the reaction to her fucking hilarious

theferret

The problem for me is that on the fringes climate activists are a death cult. The world is going to end in...., the point of no return is....; and when the date passes it is pushed back.

The Greta thing is curious. She's the perfect stooge for climate extremists. You can't question her because she is a child (we've sent lads to war younger than her), and when she is 18 in a few months and an adult, it'll be because of Aspergers. It is very cynical.

I say this as someone who works in renewable energy, specifically storage. My income relies on it. I see the issue and I see solutions. But this has become a political movement and it is divisive.

There is a direct correlation between the start of the industrial revolution and rising temperatures. But also there are anomalies in historic CO2 levels where huge increases have seen temperatures fall. It is perfectly reasonable to ask these questions and to try to understand them without being labelled a 'denier', don't like that term, has certain connotations.

The truth is, we know so much, but there is much we don't know. In the meantime, it makes sense to reduce emmisions and take steps to minimise our impact on the environment. Of course, it is perfectly sensible and desirable and we should work towards net zero by 2050 as outlined in IPCC report.

But don't politicise the issue, and ease off on the dire prophesies that often don't stand up to scrutiny.

Last edited:

wingy

The problem for me is that on the fringes climate activists are a death cult. The world is going to end in...., the point of no return is....; and when the date passes it is pushed back.

The Greta thing is curious. She's the perfect stooge for climate extremists. You can't question her because she is a child (we've sent lads to war younger than her), and when she is 18 in a few months and an adult, it'll be because of Aspergers. It is very cynical.

I say this as someone who works in renewable energy, specifically storage. My income relies on it. I see the issue and I see solutions. But this has become a political movement and it is divisive.

There is a direct correlation between the start of the industrial revolution and rising temperatures. But also there are anomalies in historic CO2 levels where huge increases have seen temperatures fall. It is perfectly reasonable to ask these questions and to try to understand them without being labelled a 'denier', don't like that term, has certain connotations.

The truth is, we know so much, but there is much we don't know. In the meantime, it makes sense to reduce emmisions and take steps to minimise our impact on the environment. Of course, it is perfectly sensible and desirable and we should work towards net zero by 2050 as outlined in IPCC report.

But don't politicise the issue, and ease off on the dire prophesies that often don't stand up to scrutiny.
Think the alt right have s 19 yr old German lass as counterpoint.
Is Attenborough a cult zealot?

theferret

Think the alt right have s 19 yr old German lass as counterpoint.
Is Attenborough a cult zealot?

No, he's not. It isn't the message so much as how it is delivered. You criticise Greta and people guffaw at how you are 'triggered by a child'. It's pathetic. If she stands up at Davos and declares we have 8 years to save the world, why can you not question that and disagree? It is a highly questionable statement based on some pretty flimsy science.

Take ER. What are they doing? People are laughing at them. They block roads in Cambridge, the most cycle friendly city in the UK. They disrupt people trying to commute on electric trains. Although, I suspect that is last time they'll target a working class area as they got a clip round the ear. Soft targets only from now on. Did you see the Andrew Neil interview with ER? It was excrutiating. Why are these loonies given air time? An important message isn't getting through because people are kicking back against what they see as a political movement more than an environmental one and one that is riddled with hypocrisy and double-standards. Judt another assault on the working class by the metropolitan middle-class.

clint van damme

No, he's not. It isn't the message so much as how it is delivered. You criticise Greta and people guffaw at how you are 'triggered by a child'. It's pathetic. If she stands up at Davos and declares we have 8 years to save the world, why can you not question that and disagree? It is a highly questionable statement based on some pretty flimsy science.

Take ER. What are they doing? People are laughing at them. They block roads in Cambridge, the most cycle friendly city in the UK. They disrupt people trying to commute on electric trains. Although, I suspect that is last time they'll target a working class area as they got a clip round the ear. Soft targets only from now on. Did you see the Andrew Neil interview with ER? It was excrutiating. Why are these loonies given air time? An important message isn't getting through because people are kicking back against what they see as a political movement more than an environmental one and one that is riddled with hypocrisy and double-standards. Judt another assault on the working class by the metropolitan middle-class.

questioning statements like we have 8 years to save the world isn't being triggered. Melting down about pretty much everything she does from having time off school to travelling on a plane is and there are plenty of middle aged men who that sends in to frenzy (I see it on social media all the time).
But if you think calling htat triggered is pathetic then fair enough.
I could never see myself getting in to that much of a rage about a teenage girl.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

questioning statements like we have 8 years to save the world isn't being triggered. Melting down about pretty much everything she does from having time off school to travelling on a plane is and there are plenty of middle aged men who that sends in to frenzy (I see it on social media all the time).
I could never see myself getting in to that much of a rage about a teenage girl.

My main issue is that all she seems to do is go around being angry at adults for breaking the planet. I've never heard her put forward any potential solutions. The people doing that are in labs etc trying to actually come up with solutions. She just seems to be having a well-publicised tantrum.

When I first saw her and what she was saying I thought she was probably about 13/14 given the simplicity of it, although the Aspergers has to be taken into account. It's not like her parents generation (i.e. mine) weren't trying to make things better - we were told of all this at school and there's been massive advances in all sorts of measures, especially in the developed world, in that time. Even the generation before that had it's campaigners looking to improve things. The biggest problem is that political will isn't there to fund and bring these measures in due to economics, and until we find a way of making green solutions more profitable than the old that is the way it will stay. That will only change when we change the way we value things and that is a monumental task.

The issue is that as you get older and you have responsibilities it has to take a back burner, then before you know it you're an adult and your kids are left in a similar situation. And they will find over time the same will happen to them and their kids will complain that they didn't sort the problem. Their parents could have spent their time solving this crisis, but had they had their own upbringing would've been far less comfortable and they'd be complaining about that.

Also due to that it means the political world largely carries on as was, with those with the money and power (who tend to not be that bothered about the environment issue) carrying on as they ever have and the issue largely goes unresolved.

And this is from someone who's fundamentally on the same page as her. Climate change is a massive issue and needs sorting. It's far more important than markets and interest and exchange rates and inflation in the grand scheme of things. But it needs creativity and solutions more than protests.

stupot07

But don't politicise the issue, .

How can you not politicise climate change?

It needs a global response and agreement - that's politics.
It needs policies and legislation to make it happen - that's politics
It needs to win the hearts and minds of people and businesses to buy in to make the changes outlined in those policies with the urgency required - that's politics.

I neither worship nor hate Greta, whatever you think of her, at least shes doing something and is passionate about it. Fair play to her.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ian1779

Jon Gaunt on Twitter yesterday was a classic example...

Users who are viewing this thread